Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2013 11:00

Dell V505 printer documents disappear from queue don't print

My Dell V505 printer will not print any documents. It began not printing emails only, but now will not print Word documents or PDF documents. I have uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it and reinstalled Windows 7 drivers. My computer is an HP touchscreen and the Dell worked with it until a couple of months ago. At that time, it would still print Word documents but nothing from the Internet. I thought maybe I had a virus so I installed Norton last week. My husband was able to print one Word document this morning but not another. The printer is recognized and status is "ready." Documents spool and show up in the print queue as pending but then they suddenly disappear and nothing prints.

12 Posts

February 21st, 2013 11:00

Hi Rick, thank you for your answer.

There are no stuck jobs in the queue - this is the strange thing!

I have solved hundred problems with stuck printer jobs in the past  but in this case the jobs just disappear from the queue as if they had been printed - but they don't.

I also already have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and it's drivers. It didn't help. 

Also I don't think that Windows Defender & Co have anything to do with it since we are talking about an USB-connected printer here and not about network printing.

And yes, I have the printer disk. But it is old (contains only drivers for Windows 200, XP and Vista), so I downloaded instead the WIndows 8 drivers from Dells Website as I said.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

cslu,

Did you use the Windows 8 drivers from Drivers & Downloads?

If yes, do the uninstall, then try the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

Not sue is all the drivers are listed in the drop down menu, so try the drivers from the Dell V505 & V505w All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

12 Posts

Hello Rick, thank you again.

Of course I made sure that the proper printer was selected. I'm not an entirely inexperienced user.

I'm not sure if you are aware of how 'Windows Defender' works, but I can ensure you that it does not block any wired (or wireless) printer communication. Actually it is only a file based scanner, so the only thing it could do to interrupt the printer's function would be to block some printer related driver files. And it doesn't. If it would do so, the user would get a message from WIndows Defender. Anyway, I checked it and it didn't block anything since it's installation.

And as I said in my first post: Scanning already works. I need advise on how to get printing working, not scanning.

12 Posts

February 21st, 2013 13:00

Hi Rick

I have the WIndows 8 Drivers for the V505 from the Dell Download-Page (not sure if those are the ones you linked to since your link only leads me to some Service-Tag form - but I guess there's only one WIndows 8 driver for this printer).

So you are suggesting me to uninstall the Windows 8 driver and use the Vista driver instead on Windows 8? I'll try this later (the printer is not at my home) but I would find it really remarkable if this could solve the problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2013 13:00

cslu,

The Vista 32-bit drivers worked for Windows 7 32-bit and the Vista 64-bit drivers worked for Windows 7 64-bit. I noticed when I restored a system with Windows 8 is was showing something about Vista, so hopefully the Vista drivers in the Vista(I'd try Vista SP2) will work. You'll need to uninstall and restart first.

I checked these drivers, try installing in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

XP/Vista/Windows 7 32-bit drivers

XP/Vista/Windows 7 64-bit drivers

Rick

12 Posts

February 24th, 2013 04:00

The owner of the printer (who is not me) suddenly decided to abandon this non working device and replace it with a new one. So I have no more chance to try the Vista drivers.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2013 11:00

cslu,

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

September 1st, 2014 15:00

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE HELP. I am using windows 8 64bit. and i tried everything you mentioned here, i can scan, copy but no prinT!!!

PLESE HELP

2 Posts

March 9th, 2015 09:00

Did any of you solve this issue.  I have having the same problem with a Dell printer.  Like the others I have gone through the process of deleting any print jobs using the script (then verifying the folder is empty), uninstalling the printer, uninstalling the printer drivers and packages and rebooting between each step.  I've reinstalled using the driver only which did not help and then did the process all over again  using the full software suite from the Dell site but no luck.  I have installed it both as a USB printer (which does trigger automatically when you plug it in as it should ) and as a network printer.  I can print to it via network from other PC's using the same driver....

I've never seen anything like this.  I feel as if a damaged queue or files are being left somewhere despite the uninstallations but I do not know where.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've spent several hours on a simple printer!

Daniel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2015 15:00

Daniel,

Do the documents print if you restart your computer?

Have Windows 7 installed and Internet Explorer 11 installed?

Rick

2 Posts

March 9th, 2015 16:00

Yes and yes.  But cannot even print a test page.

I see the printer icon show up in the system tray but click it and there are no documents pending.  I can print successfully to other printers and to PDF.  Also as I mentioned other PC's print to the same printer without issue.

Daniel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2015 16:00

Daniel,

Open Internet Explorer, click on Help, then click on About Internet Explorer. It should show the version there. If you have IE11, then go to control panel, Windows Update, Installed Updates, look for Internet Explorer 11. Click on Internet Explorer 11, uninstall.

Restart the computer, when prompted. Then see if your printer works.

The other option is to turn off the balloon tips for the printer.

Start, control panel, devices and printer, your printer, printing preferences, advanced, more options. Tell it to never show. The problem with this setting is you cannot tell if you're low on ink, printer jams, Etc.

Rick

No Events found!