Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2009 04:00

Dell printer AIO A920 driver for window 7?

I have just purchased a new Dell computer and the OS is window7 ,I have an existing AIO A920 printer, could anyone out there please tell me what I need to do to make my printer work (a driver that will work).

Your help is appreciated.(the wife is not a happy bunny)

Thanks

Bill.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 8th, 2009 06:00

Bill,

Disconnect the printer. Try running the patch, it may or may not work. Also Manual Printer Driver Removal, then restart your computer. Install the drivers using the instructions below. 

Follow the instructions as I have them below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

1 Message

January 10th, 2013 14:00

I found something that works to install a Dell AIO A920 printer on a Windows & system and I would ike to share it with all of you that have this same problem.

Let's start.   Go to this site:   

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=266371

It should bring you to a page that says "

How to Download and Install the Drivers for a Dell A920 Printer"  I know what you're thinking......if you are anything like I was.....I was on this page many, many times and this DID NOT work, but bear with me and give it a shot cuz IT WORKS....IT REALLY DOES.

Under Table of Contents click on 1. "Uninstall the existing Dell printer Driver" and follow the instructions.  Make sure you restart your computer after you uninstalled your Dell printer Driver and make sure you DO NOT reconnect the USB cable to the printer until you are told to do so.

Go to Issue 2 "Download and Install the Inkjet Printer Drivers" and click on "A920 Download page" I know you've probably been here a lot, too.

It will say "Do you have your Service Tag or Express Service Code?"  Go to the NO side and mark "Choose from a list of all Dell products" and then click Continue

It will say "Select your product type" and click on "Printers & Imaging solutions"

It will say "Choose your Dell Printers & Imagings Solutions" Click on Printer

Scroll down and click on the "A920 All In One Personal Printer" (It's towards the bottom and in the middle row)

This brings you to  "Drivers & Download" page

Where it says "Refine your results" make sure it says Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit in it

Go to the Dell Patch/Upgrade and click on download file.

It will say "Choose Files to Download" and mark "Hard Drive - R166244.zip" and then click Continue

It will say "Choose Download Method" and mark "single-file download" then click Continue

It will say "What do you want to do with R166244.zip?

Go to "Save As" and save it on your desktop as R166244.zip (also called the DellXPCleanUpUtility)

Download it and follow instructions.  This takes a little time.

Go back to the Drivers & Download page and where it says "Refine your results" change it to Microsoft Windows

Vista 64 bit

You will have to download both the Dell Application (R153716.exe) and the Dell Driver (R153048.exe) files. Make sure that the box where it says "Refine Your Results" has Microsoft Windows Vista 64 bit in it

Run R166244.zip and follow directions It will take a while. You will have to restart your computer after this is run

HERE'S THE TRICKY PART so pay attention

Run R153716 first

. Go to your desktop and find R153716 and RIGHT CLICK on "properties" and then click on "compatibility"

Mark the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then mark Windows Vista (Just plain Vista) Make sure the box that says "Run this program as administrator" is NOT marked

Go down and click on "Change setting for all users"  and mark the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and mark it Windows Vista (Just plain Vista) and once again, Make sure the box that says "Run this program as administrator" is NOT marked

Hit Apply, then Ok.  Hit Apply, then OK

RIGHT CLICK on R153716 again and NOW click on "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" (I know it sounds funny, but it works).  You won't have to do much here.  It will be the FAX

Find R153048 on your desktop where you saved this file and do the same thing with this. 

Rite click on R153048 and click on "Properties" and then click on "compatibility."  Make sure that the "Run this program in compatibility mode" is marked for Windows Vista and that the "Run this program as administrator" is NOT marked.

Click on "Change settings for all users" and make sure that the "Run this program in compatibility mode" is marked for Windows Vista and that the "Run this program as administrator" is NOT marked.  Click Apply, then Ok.  Click Apply, then OK.

When Set up comes on, once again right click and make sure it's marked to run compatible with Windows Vista (this should already be done) and once again right click and "run as administrator and follow instructions. 

Make sure to connect your printer to your computer's USB port when it says and make sure your printer is turned on.

When that is finished you should get to a page that says to print an alignment page, click it to print an alignment page. 

This should take care of it.

Now remember, I have a 64-bit operating system and I'm not real sure if this would work on a 32-bit system but I sure hope it helps a lot of you out there.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2013 15:00

marybirk,

This also works...

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

1 Message

August 19th, 2013 19:00

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been trying unsuccessfully for several days now. I was about to give up when I came across your post. It did take quite a bit of time to go through all of your steps, but I'm glad to say it worked and I'm now printing!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2013 19:00

sirsky47,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

October 10th, 2013 04:00

I have just purchased a new Dell computer and the OS is window7 ,I have an existing AIO A920 printer, could anyone out there please tell me what I need to do to make my printer work (a driver that will work).

Your help is appreciated.(the wife is not a happy bunny)

Thanks

Bill.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2013 20:00

alemseghedag,

Did you try the information, provided in the post above?

Rick

1 Message

October 18th, 2013 16:00

your help is very much appreciated.

please i need a driver to install my dell printer AIO A920 .

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 19th, 2013 04:00

ali mahrassi,

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Rick

2 Posts

June 28th, 2014 21:00

Thank you so much.  I thought I was going to have to get a new printer but thanks to you I don't have to!  It worked like a charm!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2014 11:00

justhemom,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

August 27th, 2014 18:00

Rockstar-Rick, Have a good one for you.. I have the same Dell Printer in question ( Dell AIO A920), but the computer in question is NOT a Dell one. It is a Compaq Presario CQ57 229 WM lap top, running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. My question on this is, is it possible to use the printer with the computer I have.? If so, then what would I need to do, to get it to do so.? Thanks for any help you can give on this.. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2014 13:00

whteknght_66,

The brand of the computer does not matter, it should install without any problems.

Disconnect the printer.

If you have any problems with the download links for the drivers, please let me know, Dell has made recent changes and some of my links may need corrected.

Rick

August 28th, 2014 17:00

Rick,

With regards to following '' Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7) ''., it auto kicked over to..

'' http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?IsTag=False&IsInvalidSelection=False '' instead. I found the download for the patch (printer cleanup utility ) here, after doing a web search for R166244 :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=R166244

As to doing a new post on this, for myself.. was not sure if this thread was still being looked at, so to ensure that my question was seen.. i reposted a new post. Thanks for your help. am still in the process of going through the steps & will update after finishing up on it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2014 20:00

whteknght_66,

The printer can be removed without the patch, juts go to control panel, programs and features, your printer, uninstall. Then restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed.

Keep me posted. I see the drivers are also different drivers than I had listed.

Rick

No Events found!