Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2011 11:00

Dell v 313 print head error will not clear

I have been trying to use the Dell Forum and found lots of great troubleshooting tips, but I have not been able to clear my Dell v 313 print head error message. My printer is less than 3 weeks old and has printed fewer than 25 documents.   I was trying to make a copy when this happened and the same error message occurs when I tried to print a document from my computer.

Here is what I have found in the forums and tried so far...

1. turn off for 10 seconds (all the way off... ) turn back on
  2. unplug power pack and wire plug for 60 sec, plug back in
  3. remove and replace ink cartridges to ensure the are correctly seated. 
  4. Remove and re-seat the print head
  5. Remove and clean the print head as shown by DELL info (hold on damp lint free cloth 3 sec, then wipe -Repeat)
  6. Remove and re-seat print head with cartridges, without cartridges
  7. Clean print head with and without cartridges

I am feeling the same frustration as Star 65 was when she tried to print her son's homework, because I am doing my taxes.

How do I go about getting Dell warranty involved?

1 Message

July 27th, 2012 11:00

Same issue as others.   Printer head error message just won't stop!![  :(]

Updated firmware, drivers, cleaned the contacts carefully with damp cloth, reseated the ink cartridges, new ink cartridges, power downs,   You name it, I did it.

Only 1 month out of warranty and printer rarely used for 6 months of the year. 

Dell was wanting to sell me a new printer (no discount offered) so I told them no thanks...are they nuts??

Getting an HP or possibly Kodak to save on ink.   For sure not a Dell or Lexmark (who must make this model for them).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 19th, 2011 14:00

jennostr,

How do I go about getting Dell warranty involved?

Call Dell Tech Support.

Please read...

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

On the printer, press Setup, then select Maintenance and press OK. Use the arrow buttons to select Replace Printhead and press OK Take out the cartridges and place them on their side. Now remove the printhead and wipe the copper section with a lint-free cloth(coffee filter works great) Put the printhead back in and then put the cartridges in carefully to make sure the lip is in the correct place.

Insert the ink cartridge. Using two hands, slide the front end of the cartridge into the printhead and then press down on the back of the cartridge until you feel the cartridge click into place.

Rick

6 Posts

February 20th, 2011 07:00

I also checked my ink level using the Dell Printer software found in the start menu.  My ink cartridges are practically brand new they are over 3/4 full.  

Jenn

6 Posts

February 20th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for you quick reply! :emotion-21:  

I gave the print cartridge solution a couple of extra tries.  I have not been able to access the printer's set up menu.  

Is there a way to "force" the set-up menu to appear on the printer screen?  When I turn the printer off - wait 10 sec - turn it back on the error message keeps scrolling.  Same thing happened when I unplug the power pack for 60 sec. 

I am willing to try any other ideas...

Jenn

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 20th, 2011 09:00

Jenn,

You should be able to take out the Dell Series ink cartridges when the printhead is on the left. Then you also should be able to the access the setup menu, matainiance, replace printhead. It should then move the printhead to the middle.

If it does not work, the call Dell Tech Support, as the printer is about to go out of waranty. Make the a waranty issue.

Rick

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

6 Posts

February 21st, 2011 14:00

Hi Rick,

I was not able to take the Dell Series ink cartridges out when the printhead was on the left.  The opening is too small to get a finger in to lift the latch.  I think I am going to call Dell Tech support and get some warranty help. 

Thank you very much for all your advice.  :emotion-1:  I learned lots of good troubleshooting techniques.:emotion-21:  I will post back when I have ans answer from Dell.  Thanks!

Jenn

6 Posts

February 21st, 2011 16:00

:emotion-2: I am happy to report that I used the Dell online warranty chat to get further support. 

The online chat was very helpful and the person helping me accepted all the steps that I already tired from this forum. (thanks Rick!)  I was concerned that I would have to repeat the steps, but I did not. 

The Dell representative offered one more thing to try.  After that did not work, Dell offered to replace my printer.  I can expect my new printer to arrive in 3-5 days. Hooray!  A happy ending for this story! :emotion-5:

Thanks for your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 03:00

jennostr,

May I ask, what was the other thing they tried? Surprizede they acepted all the steps that were tried. Was a link to the thread provided? Printers are basic with functions, so there isn't many things to try.

Rick

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 20:00

Certainly.....

1. The Dell Warranty agent suggested that I try to use the printer's front control panel to clear the error message, Which I noticed in a thread somewhere, but I had no idea how, because every button I pressed on my printer did nothing- except the Power button.  I followed with a question  "Which button do I press?  "Answer- RED "X"  - I responded that It did not work.  The prompt reply was: "we can replace your printer."  That leads me to think that maybe Dell is aware of this issue.   Things that make you go "Hmmmm?":emotion-40: 

2. The other question you  had... I did not think to include the thread.  That would have been even easier!  I only copied and pasted the numbered list in my original post.   Plus I added my own step.... un-install and re-intall the driver.  (that did not work either...) 

Still, a happy ending for this story.  YAY new printer!   I am glad to have my printer error problem solved by all member of the dell team.  [:D:emotion-21:]

Jenn

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2011 11:00

Jenn,

Thank you for sharing this information. Glad you're getting your printer replaced.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

April 17th, 2011 14:00

Getting the same printhead error as Jenn.  Unforunately mine is no longer under warranty.  Called Dell Suport and they do not sell printheads separately.  Instead offered to sell the same printer and knock $10 off sale price of $54.99.  Now why would I want to buy the same printer??? Hooking up my old AIO 922 that still works. :(

1 Message

December 31st, 2011 07:00

Ahhh...familiar story!  Funny how my V313 went on the fritz right at the end of my warranty, at the start of a new school year (I am a third grade teacher), and right after I spent over $100 in ink.  When I called tech support, they of course wanted to charge me for their time.  Nope.  I should have stuck with my original plan to purchase a printer from a different company since my last DELL printer stopped feeding paper right at the warranty's end.  What is it with DELL printers?  I am so thoroughly dissappointed with them.  I love my computer, but have had nightmares with their printers.  I think they should offer tech support for their products at no charge.  If they require parts, labor, THEN charge.  NO MORE DELL PRINTERS FOR ME...I am spreading the word. 

1 Message

January 10th, 2012 02:00

Where did you go for this online dell support? I am having the same problem with my printer. It is only a couple months old!

10 Posts

April 17th, 2012 13:00

me too

1 Message

April 26th, 2012 09:00

My v313w just went out of warrenty..... same problem with printhead error and frozen buttons.  Only the power on and off work. Here's my senario:  New ink cartridges inserted, message to clean the print heads ignored, then unsuccessful print and now error message does not go away.  I'm going to try and uninstall the printer and reinstall and see if this corrects the problem.  Used to have to do that with programs years ago. Let you know if it works.

No Events found!