Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2012 16:00

Dell v505 Hinges Broke?

I've had my Dell v505 All in one for quite awhile now. It was a great machine. However, one day I heard a loud pop. Turned out to be my printer. The sound startled me. Seeing how the printer was sitting next to the window, I thought a bullet may have struck it. After a short investigation, I discovered the white left hinge had just popped out of it's socket. I have no idea why this would of happened. I didn't use it often, mostly for copying and printing shipping labels.  Nothing heavy was sitting on top of the unit either. To make things worse, I knew it wasn't under warranty anymore. A few weeks went by and I was still able to use the printer just fine. I ended up having to manipulate...break the tabs off and remove the spring just to get the scanner top section to rest on the bottom of portion of the printer like it should. Then one day I heard the same noise but not as loud and I had moved the printer to a different location. It was the same problem but this time it was on the right side! I thought what the hell is going on!? It's like it has a timer in inside of it when it wants to just break down! I take very good of my Dell Products! Now the issue has gotten worse and the scanner light doesn't work anymore. Looks like I'll have to go scout for a used Dell printer on ebay until I can afford to buy a new one. Has anyone had any similar issues? Was there ever a recall on this model? I can't even call Dell to ask because they will redirect you as much as possible! :emotion-12: Any help would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 27th, 2012 23:00

Hi ITguy106,

When technical issues creep up it can be confusing because few electronic issues are quite unpredictable. Thank you for bringing this to our notice, as per design such flaw is unanticipated. Your valuable feedback will now help us track if there are any more updates on this machine.

Based on the given description, I am afraid the printer cannot be repaired. I wish the warranty was active I could have arranged for replacement of the printer.

1 Message

January 4th, 2013 12:00

I have the same printer and the same problem, only it's the casing that the spring sits in.  It sounds like its the same piece.  Its on the left side.  I contacted Dell and they don't have the part.  So, I'm trying Crazy Glue to glue the pieces back together.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.  My right hinge is ok ... for now.  This problem prevents it from feeding paper and scanning properly.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2014 10:00

Can you replace the hinges? Do you send out those parts?

105 Posts

April 17th, 2014 03:00

I am also interested to know if parts like hinges can be purchased from dell. There are times when accident happen and the unit can be damaged not internally but externally. It would be great if available parts can be purchased to replace broken parts.

1 Message

July 12th, 2014 07:00

Mine did the same thing, I still have it. but it won't work. I wanted a new one and they quit selling the 505. So I got the 225 it sucks. Uses more ink, and if you do not use it often the ink dry's and you have to deep clean the thing, and that waste more ink. I rather have the 505.

No Events found!