Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2014 18:00

Dell v515W (red) Paper Jam plus other problems

Hello:

My Dell v515W printer recently occurred a paper jam. I removed the paper, and it continued to jam. I REPEATEDLY removed the paper, disconnected it, unscrewed it, and still no paper stuck inside. Envelopes WILL print, but not letter size paper, they jam.  At this point, I am only printing from the printer (test print pages), not from the computer. In addition, now, it's making a knocking sound from the back R-hand corner. The knocking sound stops when I cancel everything, disconnect, etc.  It's now been almost a week since this started. Any suggestions? Thanks,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 15th, 2014 16:00

MissAmeriCat,

I think the paper tray does come out. Then look for pieces of paper. Use a vacuum cleaner in the area where the paper leaves the paper tray.

If your unit had a duplex unit(I think it might), in the back of the printer, release the two tabs and remove the duplex unit and clear from all paper pieces. Try the vacuum cleaner there.

Rick

September 16th, 2014 09:00

Thanks Rick, I tried the vacuum. I also went to other Dell forums that listed the same problem and tried all their suggestions, vacuum, heavier paper, etc. At this point, I'm just sick and tired after hours of trying. I'll give it a break, perhaps try again tomorrow, if not -- I see no other option than a new printer, which does NOT make me happy. Thanks again. 

1 Message

January 13th, 2015 08:00

MissAmeriCat - I had the exact same problem with my mom's Dell v515W printer - but for us, the problem was a paper jam in the paper exit path - the paper was feeding correctly into the paper path, but would crumple up as it tried to exit the printer - every time all the time - it worked fine one day and then was 'broken' -

Upon looking more carefully (remove power brick FIRST), I inserted the output tray all the way for better visibility, and used a flashlight to look along the exit path (the rollers that move the paper out - can be seen from above if the lift the cover and look straight down the hole' at the duller of the two metal bars (one is larger and chrome and positioned towards the back of the printer and is how the printhead moves back and forth, and one is more towards the front of the printer.

If you tilt the printer back some, and use a flashlight, you can see that same area from where the output tray resides. I saw that one of the tiny metal-edged rollers (normally mounted on a very small spring) had come loose of its spring 'moorings' and had jammed in the paper path.

I used a plastic tool (my handy-dandy orange peeler) so I wouldnt' damage the guts of the printer and I carefully twisted the roller so it was released from being jammed - and it, and it's little spring fell into the printer. I turned the printer back rightside up, opened the printer cover and carefully removed both the spring and the roller.

I did NOT try to replace the roller - I figured if the spring had gotten 'sprung' or weak, it would be more likely to happen again. There were plenty of other rollers to take up the slack. This absolutely did fix the issue - the paper was trying to feed into the output path but just completely hung up on that roller which was jammed into that spot beyond belief.

Hope this helps others - if we have more problems, we will look for a replacement - the spring is NOT held in place by anything other than the plastic 'shelf' in its housing, and the roller can be threaded onto the spring like a bead on a wire. This makes the roller able to accommodate different thicknesses of paper, but it makes it 'easier', I think, to be a source of a jam.

No Events found!