Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2013 19:00

Dell v515w -- windows 8 -- won't install

I have a Dell v515w that was working fine with my windows 7 computer. Unfortunately, that computer is not with me anymore. My new laptop is Windows 8 and I cannot get the printer to work with it. I've read all of the other posts and tried everything without luck.

• I tried installing the old drivers.
  • Uninstalled the old drivers.
  • Downloaded and installed the new drivers.

And when I get to the part on the install where it needs to find my printer, it just refuses to see it -- even with the ip address!! I use this printer via wi-fi. My router sees it just fine!

Anyone know how to resolve this issue, short of a new printer?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 25th, 2013 20:00

jean92024,

Does the printer have a WiFi Light? If yes, what color is the light?

Do you have the printer disk?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Make and model of your computer and opertaing system. 32-bit or 64-bit? Operating system in English? Was the oeprating system recently installed/reinstalled?

Rick

3 Posts

May 25th, 2013 20:00

Does the printer have a WiFi Light? If yes, what color is the light?

>> Light is green!

Do you have the printer disk?

>> Disc doesn't have Windows 8 support, downloaded the files from Dell

What virus program and firewall are you using?

>> Using  Norton - w/Norton smart firewall

Make and model of your computer and opertaing system. 32-bit or 64-bit? Operating system in English? Was the oeprating system recently installed/reinstalled?

>>  I'm using an HP Pavillion g6 notebook with an AMD a6-4400M APU

>> Windows 8 with a 64bit OS (english) came installed on the machine

Thanks for your help, Rick - I appreciate it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 25th, 2013 21:00

jean92024,

Printer disk should allow you to download the new installation program.

Try the below procedure and let me know what happens.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove stuck print job(s) from the queue, then restart your computer.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, Dell V515w Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the printer disk, choose additional computer, network and follow the instructions. The printer should download the updated version of the drivers and install, then follow the instructions. It shoudl ask to find your printer.

Also try reading...

Allow a printer past Norton

Rick

3 Posts

June 5th, 2013 09:00

Rick - I still cannot get my printer connected wirelessly. I am seriously frustrated at the process and contemplating getting a different printer and never, NEVER Dell anything! ...It shouldn't take a reasonably intelligent (and technical!) person this long to get a new laptop connected to an existing printer wirelessly.

It's not you, or your help -- you are completely AWESOME!!

It's Dell.  :(

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 5th, 2013 12:00

jean92024,

I have seen the issue that if a printer does not install, sometimes the operating system may have issues.

Let's try it this was and see what happens.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove stuck print job(s) from the queue, then restart your computer.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, Dell V515w Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the drivers listed below.

DELL,PTR,IJ,V515WN,AIO,ICON,EMEA,A05

Install the drivers, choose new installation and follow the instructions.

Rick

No Events found!