Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2011 09:00

Dell v715w won't stay connected

I have a Dell v715w printer.  Every time I need it, it isn't connected and I have gotten to the point that in order to use it, I have to take my computer to it and connect with USB.  This is ridiculous - I bought a network capable/wireless printer so I wouldn't have to do that.

My HP wireless all in one does not have this issue.  When I click print - it prints.  When I click Scan, it scans.

My Dell, on the other hand, can't be found on the network, can't find my computer when I want to scan, etc.  EVERY time I want to use it!  How do I fix this?  If this computer is going to work as advertised, then when I try to access the device, I should be able to access the device.  I shouldn't have to reboot my computer, reboot the printer, and then still have to connect the printer to the computer through the USB cable.

Thank you,

Jennifer

March 15th, 2011 11:00

I found a solution elsewhere that suggested going to the Device Manager and disabling the "Power Off" option in the Power Management tab for Wi-Fi device under the Network heading.  I am going to try that and see if it works.  I will report back what I find.

Steps:

1) Open Device Manager - Control Panel, System, Device Manager

2) Click the + by Network to display network hardware

3) Right click the WiFi adapter and select Properties

4) Open up the Power Management tab and uncheck the "Allow this computer to turn this device off to save power" option.

It will be nice if this works, but I still don't understand why I have to do this for my Dell, but not for my HP All In One.  Seems like a design flaw to me.

October 12th, 2015 14:00

Get rid of your Dell printers - you will have nothing but pain and frustration if you keep trying to fix them.

I have babysat my 2 V715W printers for the last time after YEARS!  Neither ever stayed connected to the wireless network.  One had the printhead replaced in it twice under warranty and now both have printhead issues.  A replacement printhead did not work either.  I finally bit the bullet and bought an HP Officejet Pro 8620 - wow what a difference!  It worked right out of the box and has yet to not connect to my network or be unavailable!  It was well worth the $160 just time savings, wasted ink and paper in troubleshooting these DELL (Lexmark) printers.  Dell should stay out of the printer business.

March 15th, 2011 09:00

Oh, and another thing, I even when I try to find the printer using the Network IP address that it is on, it still can't find it.  Again, don't have this problem with my HP.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2011 08:00

Geekgirl70,

Are you using Eco-mode on the printer?

Did you turn off the printer?

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11?

How did you install the printer on your Computer?

Rick

March 16th, 2011 09:00

I am NOT using Eco-Mode (although I really believe I should be able to... since it is supposed to be a feature of the printer...)

I did NOT turn off the printer

I am using the recommended Wireless settings - actually, I take that back... My laptops are wireless.  I have both of my printers wired to the router.

I installed the printer using the disk that came with the printer.

The solution I posted earlier about disabling the "Turn off to save power" thing worked.

Still horribly disappointed that I have to do this to make my NEW Dell printer work when my OLD HP printer works like it is supposed to.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2011 10:00

Geekgirl70,

You said...

I have both of my printers wired to the router.

The printer is a wireless printer. If you're using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11, the printer should work with no problems. The only issues known are with Belkin routers not being able to recognize the difference between WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) and WPA-AES.

Wireless printers work best with  WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

Rick

1 Message

May 8th, 2012 08:00

I have the same problem with my Dell laptop, everytime i want to print something from that laptop I have to go in and reconnect the printer.  I do not have this problem with my gateway computer which has a wireless connection to the same printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 13:00

kaycks,

What color is the WiFi light on the printer?

Rick

2 Posts

September 13th, 2012 20:00

Hello Rick.  Found this string and I've had the same problem for 1.5 years now.

V715 Wireless printer won't stay connected.  Light is green, used the Dell setup disk with latest info downloaded from Dell.

Printer is standalone wireless and I have to cycle the power or use a USB direct line to get it to work... frustrating.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 14th, 2012 10:00

Tx Dude,

Make and model of your wireless router and the type of security you're using? What channel?

Make and model of your computer and operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

2 Posts

September 17th, 2012 11:00

Wireless Router Linksys-G 2.4 GHz, 54 Mbps, Model WRV200

Channel 6

Make and Model of Computer:  64 and 32 bit - Several including XPS 15Z, Inspiron 1545, Inspiron 15R, Insprion 6000, Dell Mini 10, Latitude E4200, LatitudeE6400

Virus program and firewall:  Trend Micro

Wireless Security:  WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 14:00

Tx Dude,

I use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal) I would try channel 11.

Is the light green on the printer?

I would do this for each computer.

I would run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Start, control panel, programs and features, Dell V715w Printer uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

If the printer WiFi light is Orange, then with the first computer.

With the computer online, insert the printer disk, choose new installation, network and follow the instructions. For all computera after the initial stup, choose additional computer, network and follow the instructions.

On the intial setup it will ask for your network and the password.

Also try reading...

Allow a printer past Trend Micro

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 14:00

Tx Dude,

Sorry I hit post before the instructions were complete. Please visit the website to see the complete instructions, sorry.

See the above thread.

Rick

November 1st, 2014 16:00

My 715 is connected by a USB cable. Every 6-7 days it will  not speak with the computer. Becoming very frustrated. Any solutions?

No Events found!