Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2011 10:00

Epson Perfection 1670 installation problems on Dell XPS L702X

I have recently bought this laptop (to add to the other two Dell PCs I have!) but on this equipment I am unable to install my existing Epson scanner. The scanner works fine on a desk top Dell XPS 430 running Windows 7 (64-bit). I have tried: Downloading the latest Epson driver package (epson12699.exe), which declares it is installed and the icon duly appears on my desk-top. So far so good.

BUT.....when I initialise the the scanner, the scanner locks up half way through the process and nothing short of a full reboot gets the lap top working again!

I have installed the software both with and without virus-scanning software operating - taking care to uninstall the Epson between each new attempt to get it to work. I have ensured the drivers are operated 'as Administrator'.

I have tried Compatibility mode - Vista, XP, 32-bit and 64-bit. None of these attempts worked. As I say, the scanner is perfectly happy working with the other Dell PC I have, just not this one.

I should be grateful for any ideas - I cannot put my finger on any conflicts as I don't have any other peripherals attached.

10 Posts

May 31st, 2011 11:00

Hello.  Yes, connection is through USB cable.  I use the same cable for both my Desktop and for the laptop - my hope is that I will default to using the laptop for scanning rather than the desktop for various reasons.

The virus protection is provided by McAfee, which also provides the firewall and spam filtering etc.  All of this is switched on.  

On one occasion I did turn virus checking off while installing the Epson driver - the result was the same; the scanner ground to a halt.

On my Desktop PC protection is through Norton Internet Security.

My router also offers firewall protection (but perhaps that is not relevant?) - Netgear Rangemax DG834PN.  

Nigel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 31st, 2011 11:00

nigelhs,

Is the scanner going to be attached to the computer with a USB Cable?

What virus protection and firewall are you using?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 31st, 2011 12:00

Nigel,

Is this an English operating system?

You're not trying to share the scanner, like a printer shares, are you?

I do not use the firewall in my wireless router.

These settings are for printers but should work for the scanner.

Allow a printer past Norton

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 31st, 2011 14:00

Nigel,

I have seen operating systems installed in diferent languages. If you run Finding System Information remove your product ID, does it appera in English or another language?

The instructions for McAfee and Norton are from older versions and may be close enough to find the settings for file and folder sharing.

Not sure, but it may be possible. Here is what I have on Printer sharing and maybe it will work for the scanner.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog) Maybe be similar, since Vista and Windows 7 have similarities.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

10 Posts

May 31st, 2011 14:00

Rick

OS is standard Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) - I confess I did not know that Microsoft might sell a different OS in the UK to that found elsewhere?

No, I am connecting directly between my Dell laptop and the Epson scanner using a USB cable.  I want to be able to use the scanner outside the network that I have set up at home.

I have hit a problem with your advice straight away - the screen for McAfee Security Centre has none of the options as you describe them?  Which begs the question - do McAfee ship different versions in the UK/USA?

There is a "Home Network" button; This reveals "My Computer" + Netgear Router + the desk-top PC that is part of the LAN network I have set up.  No sign of the scanner.

There are no "Configure", nor any "Advanced" settings to view.

I have looked both at the 'default' screen and at the Navigation screen - came up empty-handed, I am sorry to say.

Firewall - has the options:

Security levels

Smart advice and advanced settings - this doesn't include any options on 'file sharing'

Firewall history

Programme Permissions - this lists a string of programmes that can either communicate in both directions or outgoing only.

Connections - This lists IP addresses

Ports and System Services -

This option brings down a long list which include 'check' boxes.  Checks (x) are present for:

'Common Operating System Ports/Local TCP/IP Ports:5357 - Common ports used by the Windows operating system; and

'Universal Plug and Play (UPNP) Port 5000, 1900, 2869 - Local TCP/IP Ports: 5000, 2869: Local UDP : Ports: 1900 - UPNP Server Port

There is no check (x) against 'Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS) Ports 137-139 -Local TCP/IP; Ports 137-139; NETBIOS Server ports

Are you suggesting that I check (x) that box in order to permit the Epson Scanner to talk directly to my laptop through the USB cable - e.g. NOT through a network?

Nigel

10 Posts

May 31st, 2011 16:00

Hi Rick

I have tried changing the settings for file sharing, but this has not made any difference to the Epson doing more than start the carriage moving and then stalling.

The OS is English - thanks for that tip.

So, I shall look at it again in the morning to see if I can spirit something else up!?  All very frustrating .... it does feel as though McAfee may be conflicting in some way.

Nigel

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 07:00

Dear Rick,

After much digging, I am now of the opinion that the fault is in the USB system.

I have discovered that when both the Scanner and my Logitech M305 (wireless) mouse are plugged into the laptop, one of them will hang.

So, I have managed to get the scanner to work, provided I don't touch my mouse.  However, I then find that the mouse soon hangs/is non-responsive.

If the mouse is active while trying to use the scanner, the scanner hangs soon afterwards.

I have tried various permutations of USB plugs/scanner/mouse receiver.  I also changed the mouse battery .... just in case.

I recently updated the BIOS to A10 and wondered if that might be causing a conflict?  Is that likely though?  If so, should I be searching out the USB drivers to reinstall them?  If it helps, DELL's diagnostics/PC Doctor shows:

USB Devices - ALL PASSED DELL DIAGNOSTIC powered by PC-Doctor

USB Hub

Device Version:  0.0.0

USB Version:   2.0.0

USB Device Speed: High-speed USB 2.0 compliant

Driver: c:\windows\\systemroot\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Version: 6.1.7601.21653,   6-21-2006

USB Receiver

Manufacturer: Logitech

Device Version: 2.0.0

USB Version: 2.0.0

USB Device Speed:  Full-speed USB 1.1 compliant

Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys

Driver provider: Microsoft

Driver Version: 6.1.7601.21653, 6-21-2006

USB hub

Device Version: 0.0.0

Driver: c:\windows\\systemroot\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

USB Composite Device

Device Version: 9.0.1

Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys

Any ideas on what my next step should be?

Thanks for your help.

Nigel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 08:00

Nigel,

Did you try the other ports? If your setup is like mine, then two ports on the left are Renesas 3.0 USB Ports and the one on the right is the 2.0 USB Port.

If under waranty, contact Dell

Please read THIS THREAD and see if your problems are similar.

Rick

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 10:00

Rick,

Yes, my XPS does have a mixture of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. and I confess I had not thought that this should be a problem!  However, a very quick skim-read of the thread you dly referred me to .... perhaps there is something in this line of thought.

Yese, the laptop is in Warranty - so far DELL haven't picked up on this as a possible problem - but armed with the thread you shared, I may ask the better questions!

Thank you,

Nigel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 10:00

Nigel,

I have a Dell XPS L501x and it does have the Renesas 3.0 USP Ports. I do NOT have an external hard drive to try the usb ports like the others. So I really do not know it mine are working properly or not.

They are trying to figure out the problem but from what I'm hearing, it cannot be duplicated.

Rick

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 11:00

Rick,

Oh dear!  Perhaps ungenerously, it seems Dell have manufactured beyond their own understanding?

My configuration is 1 x USB 2.0 (left hand side); 2 x USB 3.0 (rear panel).

After reading the thread a little further, I thought I would try JUST my mouse on one of the rear panels (it was pure chance that I had installed it to the USB 2.0 socket).  After a short while, the mouse stopped working.  So, the fault is more worrying than I thought - I guess the next thing to try is an external drive (I have several - including the nifty iomega eGo) and hope that any interruption doesn't corrupt/damage the drive!  I was not happy with the scanner being brought to a jarring halt by this gremlin).

This is the first time that I have been disappointed with Dell.  If they respond to my last communication in which I suggested that I was facing a USB conflict, I will let you know.  

Nigel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 11:00

Nigel,

Big file transfers. Transfer something you already have a backup of.

Rick

10 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 03:00

Rick,

I have read the General Hardware Forum threads you pointed me to - 31 screens later, I have added my own experience to those of others and given Which? a 'corrective' to my recent glowing report on my experience of Dell PCs.  I am a great fan of Dell (several PCs bought and many more recommended to friends and colleagues), and while this issue is not the death of my XPS L702X experience, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and I shall certainly not recommend Dell PCs with USB3 implementation any time soon.

Thanks for alerting me and for kind advice and guidance in recent days, it is much appreciated.

Over and out - to the other forum!

Nigel

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2011 16:00

Nigel,

Read your other post there. I already get emails from that thread, since I also have a Dell XPS L501x. It has the Renesas 3.0 usb host controllers.

Rick

No Events found!