Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2011 04:00

Error with scan to Email / FTP Dell MFP 1355cn

Hello,

I'm trying to configure our printer to scan to either FTP or SMB.

We have setup a user within the server for the printer to use.

Our server is based outside of our local network. I have entered the relevent connection details in the printers admin interface. These are as follows:

Name: My Server Name

Type: SMB

Server Address: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Share

Server Path: C:\Share_Name\Scan

Server Port: 139

Login Name: myloginname

Password: **********

When I try to scan to the server I get a connection error. With the error code 031-555

Can anyone hep with this please?

Regards

Tony

February 3rd, 2011 06:00

Also when trying to scan to FTP I receive a resolve error 031-574.

Regards

1 Message

June 24th, 2011 07:00

Someone posted down below and it was correct. For SMB just leave the server path blank and it works fine.  Not sure about FTP.

Server Type SMB
  FTP (ftp://Server Address/Server Path)
  SMB (\\Server Address\Share Name\Server Path)
Server Address
  e.g. myPC, XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Share Name
e.g. SMB (Share, Sharedfolder)
Server Path
e.g. FTP (pub, pub/share), SMB (finance, finance\Peter, finance\Peter\Sales)
Server Port Number (139, 5000 - 65535)

5 Posts

November 11th, 2012 02:00

For server address, just use the IP address of the server with no pathname, i.e. 192.168.1.69

Use just the share name in the Share Name field with no slashes, i.e. backup

Use just the pathname in the Server Path field and use forward slashes rather than backslashes, i.e. Richard/Work/Expenses

5 Posts

Also just tried the SMB share with the hostname of the NAS instead of the IP address and this works too, which demonstrates that DNS resolution is working on my 1355 (which it must be to resolve mail.btinternet.com too)

5 Posts

I have been struggling with setting up scan to email and scan to a SMB drive on my Dell 1355cn, but finally got both working.

I have followed all the other advice above about setting a static IP address, mask and gateway and also unchecking the "Get DNS Server from DHCP" option in the print server settings and using the gateway address in here.

My basic problem with email was that the printer does not work with gmail. Probably due to not authenticating smtp properly. I solved this by using an old btinternet account instead:

smtp/pop server: mail.btinernet.com

Login user / username xxx@btinternet.com

smtp port: 25

pop3 port: 110

SMTP AUTH(Plain)

For scanning to a network drive via SMB I finally got this working by setting up the following in the Server Address:

Server Address: 192.168.1.69 (i.e. just the IP address of the NAS with no share or path details)

Share Name: backup (i.e. the share name on the NAS)

Server Path: Richard/Work/Expenses (i.e. the path on the backup share where the scans are created)

All the examples on the Server Address setup webpage on the printer are wrong and note that you need forward slashes in the pathnames not backslashes. It would be good if you could correct this please Dell!

No Events found!