Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2010 10:00

Fax icon not in my "Printers & Faxes" in control panel

Installed new Lexmark AIO 905 Printer on my Dell Inspiron 9400 using Windows XP. Printer works fine wirelesly and fax works fine on the console however during set up I received a pop-up saying that all files were not copied.I de-installed , ran a disk clean-up and re-installed but samething.The fax software did not fully install and missing the Fax icon in "Printers and Faxes". I can't fax within my programs as I can't choose the Fax printer from the drop down print menu within my programs.Has somenoe ran  into similar situation

March 19th, 2010 10:00

On the Lexmark CD, there is no executable file in the Fax folder.I tried setting up using a new account in Windows and same thing, nofax icon in "Printers & Faxes" so I think that too many reg keys were deleted from HP. I read somewhere that some HP reg keys are in use even if you don't have an HP printer.

I was forced to re-image to its original purchased date and I had made some back-up of my stuff so I didn't lose anything but had to re-install all my programs and re-install Dell updated drivers from Dell support site.I also updated Windows and then set up my darn printer and bingo everything worked out first crack. I tried everything else for 3 weeks!      Thanks for your support

markobanker

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2010 11:00

markoBanker,

I didn't read up on the printer, but will try to help you. The printer looks like it has it's own modem, please correct me if I'm wrong.

First, On my network, I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in my wireless router, I use channel 11.

I then setup the printer next(I have a Dell V715w Printer). The printer disk is installed in the computer and then follow the instructions. The printer will need SSID, type of security and password. You should get a confirmation that it's connected to the network.

Now remove the USB Cable and make sure to connect the printer to the phone line. If using DSL, you'll need to have a DSL Filter on the phone line it's connected to.

This step, you way want to start with first

Now for your computer. Uninstall the printer using start, control panel, add/remove programs.

Now restart your computer. This must be done to flush all the old files from your computer. Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Now try installing the printer using the disks that came with the printer. It should find the fax program and everything else.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

March 6th, 2010 06:00

Rick , thanks for replying,

I've uninstalled using "add /remove programs, rebooted and made sure all files are gone.I've done disk cleanup also.I re-installed and found same thing. All installation files from the installation CD did not copy(got pop-up saying not all files were copied).The printer works but still no Fax icon in "Printers & Faxes" within control panel. Before the first Installation attempt, I had an HP AIO 7780 Printer that I uninstalled and perhaps it removed something it shouldn't have.

After installation, I ran software update and it downloaded some files but was unable to install the updates.

I have installed the printer on my other Laptop Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7(wirelesly) and everything workes fine.

Markobanker

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 6th, 2010 08:00

Markobanker,

So my question is...

Did you get everything working?

Since the verified answer was selected, I am guessing frommthe above post, you got it working.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 7th, 2010 08:00

markoBanker,

My thoughts.

First uninstall the printer. Right click start, left click explore and look for programs files. Look through and delete and printer flder that's there.

Make a system restore point.

Then run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. Remove only the printer software, if it's on the list, then restart your computer. Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Now try installing the printer using the disks that came with it. Try installing it with the USB Cable first, and since it will be connected to your computer, it should find the modem and install the fax software.

If it finds everything, then install the printer for network. Keep the other version and you might want to rename it your printer (USB). Try the setup and see if you can get the printer installed wirelessly. Since you installed the printer with the USB Cable first, the fax icon hopefully should be there.

Rick

March 7th, 2010 08:00

Rick,

Sorry for confusion, I'm a newby to forums.

I still have same problem with Fax icon not in my "Printers & Faxes". I tried a USB connection set-up with my Lexmark AIO 905 printer and same thing happens.The PC is unable to copy all installation files.

I tied re-installing my HP AIO 7780 to see if fax software would get installed and funny thing, the same thing is happening,no Fax icon in "Printers & Faxes".The fax icon used to be present on the HP AIO 7780 prior to me uninstalling it. Some files may have been deleted during uninstalling of the HP Printer

March 11th, 2010 12:00

I tried using windows install clean-up however it didn't want to run (looks likes missing file in temp. folder)tried to look for a solution for that problem and did not find.So I used Add/remove to uninstall Lexmark AIO 905.I went in Doc & Settings/App Data/Local Settings to remove all  Lexmarks folders, I emptied the temp folder,ran clean up disk utility and tried set-up using the CD and with a USB and came up with same problem. No fax icon in "printers & Faxes" and printer works fine. There must be some corrupted reg entry and I'm hesitant to do a Windows re-install.

On this PC, we had to re format as we had a virus.So in re-installing everything on it, we may have missed some form of up dates.I ran windows update and all seem in order.I have the latest updates framework,window installer. I don't have a modem but it still installed my old HP AIO 7780 sometime ago.Lately I even tried to re-install that other HP AIO 7780 and it also would not install the fax in "Printers & Faxes". Something is causing the fax files from being installed on both printers! I got no more ideas on how to fix.Or how to fix Windows Installer Clean-up utility

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 11th, 2010 17:00

markoBanker,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

March 12th, 2010 14:00

Rick,

Your probably right with this but I thought the system was operating fine now as Dell Techs brought the Inspiron 9400 to its original day one state therefore would it still be necessary to update the drivers.

markobanker

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 13th, 2010 08:00

markoBanker,

If they used the factory image, then you shouldn't have any issues with the USB Ports or anything else. If they install a new hard drive or used the disks, then the Desktop/notebook utility(if applicable) and the chipset drivers need to be installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

What do you see in the device manager? Any yellow exclaimination marks or red x's?

Rick

March 13th, 2010 16:00

Rick,

Dell support used factory image to re-instate the PC.I went on Dell support to update necessary drivers.I de-installed using Glary utility, ran reg cleaner, went in reg to delete all Lexmark entries left behind.Deleted all Lexmark files & folders left behind, ran MSCONFIG to stop other programs to run or start up, closed McAfee firewall, re-installed using CD and let it update the software(it found (5) files to download and it installed wirellesly no problem except for the Fax icon still not being in "Printers & Faxes".Printer prints fine.

In Device manager, I still see the only red X unger imaging device(my old HP 7780 is listed there as on the network)as its set up on my son's PC using the wireless Network also.Could it be that not all HP is gone from this system or perhaps too much was deleted from HP's uninstall that I did prior to trying installing this Lexmark 905. Lexmark support people only told me that since the Fax works from the printer console, they feel they don't have to help me with this issue and tells me it's a PC issue and thanked me for calling !

markobanker

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 14th, 2010 04:00

markeBanker,

Do you have the printer disk? You could try this as My Dell is a Lexmark Printer so things might be similar.

As for faxing, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the Fax Folder. In the Fax Folder, right click on setup.exe and left click run as administrator. This will install the Fax program.

You sould try using BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing but I don't know about a fax icon.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 17:00

markeBanker,

It's a shame it had to come to that. Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!