Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 14:00

Firmware 'upgrade' R152145 seems to have killed my 946 printer

I tried to install a firmware upgrade, R152145 because it was there and seemed like a good thing to do, and now my printer wont turn on. If I plug it in to the wall, the power button just flashes every three or four seconds and it makes a quick dit dit sound each time it flashes. nothing on the display, win XP Dell PC won't communicate with it. Drivers wont install, and wont let me reinstall firmware. Any way to reset this thing or did this so called 'firmware upgrade' turn it into an oversized high tech paperweight? Even unattached by usb, same result.

February 11th, 2009 06:00

Hmmm, nary the sound of chirping crickets. Should I take it the so called 'update' has resigned my printer to the recycling bin? Anyone?

:emotion-12:

6.4K Posts

February 11th, 2009 12:00

Afraid I don't know a lot about printer firmware, but there is this thread on the subject.  It would have been nice if the user had told us if the proposed solution helped, but I have yet to find a confirmed fix.

PudgyOne seems to think that you need to reinstall the printer from scratch, as though the I/O addresses were changed by the update process.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 11th, 2009 13:00

helomech407,

When you do the firmware on any printer, you need to be connected with the USB Cable. First, try removing the plug from the wall. Also remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages and blinking lights. If the printer doesn't startup, something happened when you sent the firmware to the printer and I doubt if you can send the fiormware to the printer again, but you can give it a try.

I have found from past experiences from other members that installing the wrong firmware usually causes the printer to become a huge paper weight.

I feel your pain.

Rick

7.9K Posts

February 12th, 2009 18:00

It's completely unacceptable that this type of thing can happen with modern hardware.  A crash recovery chip with a backup firmware image would probably cost all of $1 for suppliers to include.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2009 18:00

I am having the same problem with my Dell 946 Printer. I have been on and off the phone with DELL for more than an hour. I dont understand why when their software on their website has fried my printer, that i am responsible for replacing it. I have used this printer 3times, it was still in the box today when i took it out. Where do i go from here? Unfortunately, this printer  is not under warranty, bu i dont see how that is relevant when it was their software that ruined it. Please help.

July 27th, 2009 07:00

By the way, both printers were just recently out of warrantee only by a few months. :emotion-39:

July 27th, 2009 07:00

Not Real impressed with dell printers. I ended up sending the 946 back to IT for recycling, then at the same time sent back a dell Laser printer because it wouldn't acknowledge any paper in its tray. Now I have resorted to doing all of my printing on someone else's printer at work or on my own at home until they are replaced. Thanks for the support Dell!

NOT!

41 Posts

July 28th, 2009 06:00

Same thing happened to my 948. Power blinked during firmware update. Printer was trashed, 3 months after warranty expired. No help on this forum!

4 Posts

July 28th, 2009 07:00

I kept on calling and requesting a manager. I explained to them that there is no warning on the web site for the download. That it never stated if downloaded it could reset the chip innside the printer. I had to go through 4 managers, but they finally decided to send me a new printer. My printer was out of warranty for over a year. They know that the website was wrong, you just need to keep going and not give in and you will have a new printer. I explained that how was i supposed to know not to download that firmware, it says optional. Good luck, and if there is any other questions please let me know.

11 Posts

August 9th, 2009 22:00

I am on my third 946 in 1 month. First didn't scan (scan head did not move), second one - I bricked when updating the firmware! The third one... Set that up yesterday, and still will not scan, and print jobs stick at 99% (need to bounce the spooler to clear print jobs).

Also - seem to be receiving re-furbs as replacements! Why should I get a re-furb to replace a printer I have had less than 1 week?

1 Message

September 5th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for the info.  I need to call and insist on a new printer also.  The firmware update killed mine.  It's a chirping paperweight.

9.4K Posts

October 21st, 2009 10:00

All,

I've had a team from Dell check into this.  They have tried the firmware update on the 946, and it worked fine.  If you are still having problems with the printer not working, send me a Private Message, by clicking on "contact" below then "start a conversation with Dell-Robert P" and I'll address these on a one to one basis.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Robert

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 21st, 2009 12:00

Robert,

Other people give different answers.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=946+firmware+printer&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=c807e9ccc08a197a

May UNHAPPY Campers.

Rick

9.4K Posts

November 5th, 2009 06:00

SSGMiller,

Sorry that your printer had some difficulties.  Have you been able to resolve this?  We would like to examine your printer further in order to find a resolution to the situation you described. 

Please contact me by private message by clicking on "contact" below then "start a conversation with Dell-Robert P", and I'll get back with you on the details.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Robert

4 Posts

November 6th, 2009 19:00

Well, same thing just happened to me. I try installing the firmware upgrade, get an error part way through,

now printer is junk.  Way to go Dell !!!

No Events found!