Highlighted
2 Bronze

H625cdw, scanner error code 062-380

I've used this printer over the last 13 months in my home office to print perhaps 15 pages total. Now, when it boots up, I get Scanner error 062-380 and it requests that I turn the power off and turn it back on again.

The message says "Contact Customer Support if the error is repeated"

As mentioned previously, the printer is 13 months old and now out of warranty - and it looks like Dell does not allow warranty extensions on printers.

I can't get past the scanner error to actually use the printer, and I am not particularly happy about my price per page ROI. πŸ˜‰

Can anyone tell me what this error is? Where I can get my hands on a service manual or parts? - or even just recommend an approved repair shop in the Chicagoland area?

I cannot believe that a printer as rarely used as this one has suddenly failed for no obvious reason.

74 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: H625cdw Scanner Error - Code 062-380

OMG! I have the same situation. I bought this April 2017, and it give me this 062-380 in June 2018. The customer service told me it is out of service. I barely use this printer and I love it. Now, I have to rethink all my business products away from Dell. Let me know if you have any solution. Thanks <Email id removed>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Don't bother with the link to read the manual.. not helpful at all.

There is no reference to the error code.

I too purchased this expensive all in one color laser Dell printer in April 2017.  It broke in June 2018.  2 months out of warantee.  I barely used the printer.. pretty sure ink is still at least half full.  

No service center, repair, parts... this is now landfill.   

Highlighted
1 Copper

Yes,

I just got the same error, Dell supports answer was its out of warranty so we no longer provide technical support or service of this unit.  6mo old, and its a paperweight headed for the scrap heap...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Spent $1000 on a top of the line Dell color laser multi function printer. Model S3845cdn. Purchased June 2017. Used as a home office printer. Only run 374 copies through it. Now getting error code 062-380. Appears to be some sort of scanner problem. Scanner lamp does not come on. Dell tech. support will not help me since the printer is out of warranty. They no longer sell this printer, or and parts for it. So apparently I now have a $1000 paper weight and no printer! Sounds like a trip out to the desert with my Barrett 50 cal. and some Tannerite is in order! I will never buy Dell again!!! Their quality and support has really gotten terrible. I have had several Dell desk top and laptops over the years. Very, very disappointing!!!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same experience here. The machine was on and only printed 300 pages or so and a couple of month over warranty, same issue. The odd thing is that I started using the machine 4 month after I bought it, reading other online reviews makes me thinking that might be dell has some preset program to make it fail after the warranty??? Very disturbed. And no support at all. They even refuse to provide an estimated repair cost so I can get the extended warranty from credit card company. HP provided without any arguement. I have over a douzen dell computers in my office that I purchased and have to think twice about their products now... 

Highlighted

I had no luck finding replacement parts. I took apart everything and model numbers were not helpful. I saw the scanner was a LiteOn scanner, but could not find a replacement. 

If you have two printers - and if one works then you might be able to monitor the signal from on and emulate the result for the other printer to at least bypass the fault - might not be worth the effort though. If both printers failed at the same time that just seems suspicious - maybe if they were plugged into the same outlet path - some ripple could have affected something but the issue then should have been isolated to the power supply - maybe the power supply is not putting out the correct voltage for the logic board. I suspect a 3.3v or 5v rail would be the culprit if that was the case.

One thought I had is that if you got the Xerox equivalent board - it might be able to be swapped directly in place and might not fault or block you if it did throw a fault.

While doing the teardown, I was saddened by the amount of engineering that went into this printer just to be become irrelevant by some poorly executed code. Being a rebranded xerox might have been the reason why this was missed through testing - maybe just a minor tweak and it was never caught, otherwise they intentionally added this fault to shut the machines down (though if that were the case, the issue would also be persistent on Xerox printers I would think).

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have had the same issue.  Received error code 062-380 two months after out of warranty.  This sure seems like a software bomb. Myself and my clients will no longer be using Dell after this <Profanity removed>.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here. It DOES seem like a software error but good luck getting them to fess up to it. I was able to scan from my wife's old windows 7 pc, but windows 10 is a bomb. The error has something to do with the ADF (automatic document feeder). If you did not notice, Dell is no longer in the printer business which is probably the reason for the lack of interest. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Exactly same here. Just a few months after warranty expired. Barely used, for home use only. Sometimes my family didn’t use it for a whole month. In one year we didn’t run out of any cartridges, so imagine. Dell disabled whole printer while this is known scanner issue only. If Dell would make cars, streets would be full of standing cars because of broken light bulb in glove compartment. There are hundreds of people on internet with exact same problem, some of them call it a software bomb. This printer replaced my 5year-old Brother laser printer, which I gave to my friend, and, unlike this 15-month-old Dell, it is still running.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Ok so I had the same issue. Out if warranty and got this error randomly. Here is what we did removed the power cable for 5 mins. Plug it back and error gone. It came back after 2-3 days. Did the same steps n started working. hopefully it helps someone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Did u try the method I sugggested

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same story with me with 062-380.  two months out of warranty - no help from Dell.................   $$ wasted - very upset with Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yep, same here, it started only giving me an error when scanning now the printer is worthless and won't even turn on. Conveniently right after the warrant expired, what a strange coincidence. Engineered obsolescence should be a federal crime. I actually thought Dell was a descent company but I'm never buying any Dell product again. Thankfully my company is switching to Surfaces. I hope Dell goes under. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same fault code here and same song and dance. Haven't even used up the starter toners and have extra life new one for when they ran out im out big money looks like.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've experienced the same issue. After reading that no one has gotten any support from Dell I decided to start tearing into the printer. It's sad to see how much engineering went into the design of the printer, I didn't really see anything internally that stuck out as cheap - everything seems easily serviceable and yet I could not find any replacement parts. The printer seems to be a xerox workcentre clone, but I couldn't find any parts for that either. My hope was that a xerox control board to replace the Dell control board might bypass this ridiculous software bug/feature. No luck, pretty depressed/frustrated.

I even tried just unplugging the scanner, still threw the error. I tried forcing light into the ccd, did not help.

Given enough time I feel like I could come up with some solution, but I've invested too much effort at this point. Once again, just sad that all the effort that went into designing and building this thing is all for nothing because of poorly written software. 

I hope someone has more luck than me, I'm just going to salvage some components and call it a day.

Highlighted

Same Situation.  I purchased my H625cdw in Nov 2017.  Today, on Jan 1 2019, I get the same Scanner Error - Code 062-380.  Per the printer's instructions, I converse with the Dell Service Dept Rep and I reference this message board.  The Dell Rep says that he has read this message board and then proceeds to tell me what others have been told.  "I'm sorry the printer is out of warranty and you will need to buy a bunch of parts first and pay a technician $179 for a 2 hour visit."  Given the other replies and the belief of another respondent that it  is a software issue and not a parts issue, this advice from the Dell Service Rep does not seem to make much sense.  It's surprising and too bad that none of us know someone at Dell who can assume control of this issue and help us resolve it.  Or if someone has found a means of addressing this issue, please post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Ok where did you buy it from? I have a s3845cdn
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This thread is focused on the H625cdw so I don't know how much is common between the two as far as troubleshooting 062-380 error.

I was able to find an scanner assembly for H625cdw on ebay. See my other post about the 062-380 error with links to xerox sites, there is some basic cleaning to try first.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue. My warranty just expired on 12/17/2018 and I called to get assistance with that error code. They told me you cannot extend the warranty on a printer anymore and that the code was one that cannot be fixed. The dell tech support person told me to replace the entire printer. I paid $599.99 for this piece of junk and barely used it over the last year!!! I clarified what she said...replace the printer with her and she confirmed. I have a model <Service Tag removed>. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hey Everyone I have been dealing with this for about a year and about every other time when I held the power down for six seconds to restart it would work. For a week now that hasn’t been the case. So I came back to look for an online solution. I tried everything everyone suggested to no avail. Unplugging and coming back an hour later and plugging cord back into the back of printer. In a last ditch effort I loaded paper into the automatic feeder. Reset and it worked. Hope this simple trick helps everyone who’s H625cdw seems to have been bricked. Fingers crossed. Hope this helps someone else continue to use their Dell printer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Well my scanner troubles have returned. The work around I thought I had found lasted for about three sleep and restart cycles until the scanner error code came back. I tried the hold the power button for six seconds to restart and no luck. Before I was about to give up I decided to try the hold power button for six seconds to restart one more time. But before I held the power button down again, I pulled the paper out of the automatic document feeder on top of the scanner. When I did, I heard and felt the document feeder release the documents as I pulled them out. So, I put the stack of papers back in the document feeder this time I didn’t hear or feel it grab hold of the papers. I held the power button down for six seconds. When it restarted it powered all the way up and went to the Home Screen like normal. I have been successful with this method now several times after I have gotten the scanner code error. 
I’m beginning to think our issue is in the document feeder for the scanner on start up. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: H625cdw, scanner error code 062-380

Same here. Has anybody come up with a solution? 

Edit: Guys, you can hit it here:<Non public info removed>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've got a very similar issue as well.  My printer was purchased 12/2017, so I'm only a couple months out of warranty.  Now the scanner is throwing a similar error code (mine is 062-371) which seems to indicate a light error.  I went into the maintenance mode and moved the scanner bar over and then forced the light to come on.  It mostly is fine, but on the rearmost part there are a few pixels/lines that are dark.

I called Dell and got the same thing as others, "Parts + $179 labor."  I figured I could do the work myself, so I asked to be sent to the parts department who promptly told me the part was on permanent backorder and likely would never be in stock again and my best bet was to check eBay.

Its ridiculous to me that there is not a way to bypass using the scanner to print pages!  In the almost 1.5 years I have had this printer I have only printed 522 pages.  Most of the toners are still full, except the black starter is at 70%.  But because the light sort of doesn't come on all the way on the scanner I can't use the printer?!?!?  Unfortunately I have had very little luck finding any parts for this thing either.  I wonder if the parts from the Xerox WorkCentre 6515/DN could be swapped to get this thing back to life.  All I need is a scanner lamp!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Came here to add to this as well.

15 months since I got it (3 months out of warranty) and I have the same exact error.  Same excuses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same... three months out of warranty and that **bleep** scanner error renders the whole thing absolutely useless.

Dell: You have a known design flaw in this printer's scanner bulb detector. This is NOT standard wear and tear failure and you know it. You do nothing to provide a solution for it. This was a very expensive printer for a small home/office and I've wasted both my time and my money. I'll never buy another printer from you again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm having the same problem code 062-380.  I have under 100 copies and this thing is dead.  Of course my warranty expired and when I spoke to out of warranty support, they suggested I purchase another printer.  I'm so done with Dell.  I've read most of these same issues on this forum and there are no solutions and Dell could care less.  Your product is only as good as your customer service.  I had a problem with my dell computer and monitor.  #DELLISTRASH.  I got out of my dell and purchased a lenovo.  I'm purchasing a canon printer and get this, the printer comes with a three year warranty. and my monitor is samsung.  never again will I spend another dime on dell trash.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here - 1 month out of warranty.  It seems Dell decided to build in a defect so that we keep buying new printers from them.  I'm not going to play their game any more.  It's against my core belief that humanity should stop creating junk that ends up in trash piles.  Scanner CCD failure?  Why doesn't the printer work?  Ah!  Dell wants bigger trash piles on our planet.  Not with my money.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

CYFAR,

Contact the Dell Out of Warranty Support Team by clicking the link below.

https://dell.to/316qZib

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

The problem is your out of warranty support dept does nothing other than (sometimes) to offer to get you over to sales to order the replacement parts and pay for a tech. The problem is that the part is permanently back ordered. 

The issue all of us in this thread (and many others) have is that this is clearly a defect that Dell has to know about. It is happening way too often but after the one year warranty is over. This should fall under a product recall because of how many cases seem to be coming up about it.  How Dell just wanted to be crappy and ignore it. I could even (not really but maybe) understand the fact that you guys are hiding behind the warranty to not have to replace the parts but when you guys can't even supply for parts to repair the problem, that is an issue!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here.  Family has two H625cdw printers, each about 4-6 months out of warranty.  Both died this week with scanner error 062-380.  Both were home printers, lightly used (one's scanner was probably used for less than thirty copies).  A quick Google search shows dozens of people with the same problem with no solution from Dell.  So many people's printers dying from the same problem at the same time -- is this a defect or planned self-destruction after the warranty period?  Either way Dell should make it right to all of us. <Non-public info removed>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Mine also just encountered this error. Purchased November 27, 2017. So 7 months out of warranty, and only used at home very lightly. Thought I was buying a quality color laser jet that was going to last several years, after reading all of these posts I guess there appears to be a manufacturer defect. I would be happy if there was at least a software update pushed so you could at least still use the printer, instead of the whole machine being bricked!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Texas111,

Unfortunately, based on the service tag number, the warranty has expired. You can wait for a reply from other community members or contact the Dell Out of Warranty Support Team by clicking here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Mark,

It blows my mind (and probably most others here) that the entire unit is considered unusable because a small part of the scanner light is out. This has absolutely no bearing on the printing ability of this unit, which is great in my opinion. I have been thoroughly satisfied with this printer up until this. Now I have a giant boat anchor. I am considering spending a couple hundred to get an entirely new replacement scanner flatbed and attempting to swap that myself to see if it resolves the issue.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

@NighthawkCP  I completely agree, the printer is great! Makes no sense that a scanner issue would brick the entire unit.

You would think Dell could at least push a firmware update over Wi-Fi  to only disable the scanning capabilities instead of making the whole unit unusable when this error is encountered. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

EXACT same boat. But great news! Dell will gladly offer you out of warranty repair service at 179.99 to get a tech to your house for 2 hours, then based on this code all of us are having they will gladly sell you 3 parts that will all total 3 or 4 times higher than we paid for the stupid printer! isn't that so nice of them? I would HIGHLY suggest not purchasing printers from Dell based on how they are treating us loyal customers. If anyone does know of a way to escalate to the office of the president to complain, please provide how to. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I got the same problem in few days ago, used very lightly. I guess Dell installed the time bomb, therefore, force everyone to buy an new one. My Dell Laptop broke last month too. Stay away from Dell, will not buy any Dell products again. Bye Dell.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm astonished reading how many others have this issue with their printer, and <Non-public info removed>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I also have this problem. Dell and representatives, please provide a way around this issue; at least to able to use the printer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

My warranty expired in April and now I'm getting the same warning as the rest of you.  I've tried asking Dell for help.  Nada.  Yesterday, I ordered a Brother printer.  This is the last straw for Dell as far as I'm concerned.  I wonder if the idea of great produce and great service has crossed their minds?  It seems logical to me that a good business practice is to assist those who buy your product.  More than that, it seems wise to go out of your way to make the customer happy.  Who knows, they may not come back to your products if you fail to do so.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I am in the same boat...any help would appreciated by Dell. 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Along with my Dell printer which is now junk; I have several Brother printers and you will not be disappointed with them. I have switched from Dell to Brother and am very pleased. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem - just happened few days ago (and the printer became a heavy paper weight).  I didn't use the scanner, but trying to print out one page document, but the printer was not responding, so, I went to the printer and saw the same error code like millions of other Dell printer user.   I've just purchased a brand new (super expensive) toners (4 color set)..... stupid.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I too am in the same boat. Same model printer with the same error. The warranty on mine expired January 2019 so I guess mine is a miracle of sorts as it lasted almost a year longer than the warranty period. This is ridiculous that I too have a useless printer on my network because of a known error. I will not buy another Dell printer for my network. I'll buy Brother printers from now on. Very disappointed by Dell right now. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

I've used this printer for the last year and a few months at my tailoring business and it's worked great. I don't use it often but I bought two sets of toner for it, just in case I needed them.

I went to print something a few days ago and I got this same error message. I called Dell support and they said because it was 3 months out of warranty they refuse to do anything to fix it. They won't let me pay out of pocket to have a tech come over to look at it, they won't let me order the parts I need, they won't even tell me what's triggered the error. I never had any issues with the printer, and up until three days ago it was fully functional. This feels like some sort of scam, the representative told me my only option was to buy a new printer and throw away all the perfectly good toner I had stocked up. 

Dell has no class, there needs to be some action, this sort of thing should be against the law. Now I'm unable to ship out any suits because of this printer. 

Michael Dell must be spinning in his grave. From now on, this dude will not be getting any more Dells.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Sadly, 2 months out of warranty mine did the same thing. And I only used the scanner 3 or 4 times. I've only printed a total of about 200 sheets of paper.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

This just happened to my printer. Ink is not even 1/2 used. This looks like a <Non-public info removed>

I am done with them. After countless Dell purchases I think I am done. 2 consecutive product failures that seem like bad design/qa where the whole line has same defect. There is no procedure at Dell to address these kinds of problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue. I've purchased several of the 625 printers with no better luck or support. I've been a strickly Dell fan for close to twenty years always making sure every company I worked with only purchased Dell.

The Dell reputation has always been to service what they sell, but I guess time brings about a change.

I remember when the 45 degree angle in Dell was a symbol to be proud of, it represented rapid growth in a particular direction, perhaps it still represents, its just pointed in a different direction. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Another customer, another error message, another wasted computer with tremendous e-waste.  Why can't we still use the printer, if not the scanner?  This is very sad, and only within two years of purchase.  How can Dell just let all these victims suffer through no fault of their own.  This is a defective product that needs a recall.  Laser printers should last many years, especially newer models.  Other industries honor recalls.  I think we need to contact a consumer protection organization, government consumer rights agency, or even a specialized law firm.  These printers are very expensive, so we paid for quality and reliability.  Maybe we also need to call Corporate Office.  With the right publicity, Dell will realize the real cost.  Shame on Dell.  You're better than this, right?

0 Kudos