Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2011 10:00

Help! Dell 2335dn Scanner Dropping Names

I've tried searching the threads on this forum and on google but have yet to find a definitive answer.

I have about 10 users who use this 2335dn as a network scanner. Periodically, it will drop any random user off of the list. Sometimes I can just go back and hit refresh in the scan manager software and it will bring them back up on the printer. Other times it won't work at all.

How can I fix this? I read that this may be related to a problem where the printer is not "looking" for broadcasts by the software on the client's side. If this is true, how can I fix this?

More info upon request.

25 Posts

July 7th, 2011 14:00

Hey there Adrian,

Thanks for the info. It looks like Dell just came out with a patch for scan manager on 7/5/11. I installed it and so far the names are still on the scanners. Give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

Download Link:

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

22 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 11:00

OK, well I guess there aren't any others out there having the same issues I'm having but just for the record, here's the information I received from a chat support agent.

It appears to be something wrong with the software and here are a few quick steps to attempt to get it working. I can't confirm if this works 100% as I have only tried this with one user and it usually takes a few days for their name to disappear but try this if you're out of ideas:

1. Update the firmware for the 2335 via web interface

2. Install software from 2355 package. 

- Download the driver package, unzip and go into the application folder

- In the application folder, look for the Scan Manager Software

3. Install Scan Manager software

4. Fire up the new Scan Manager software and input the information required.

It may be a good idea to uninstall the old Scan Manager software as they look identical.

Hope this helps those of you out there having this issue with user names dropping off the list. I'll try to report back in a couple of weeks whether or not this has worked.

Thanks.

22 Posts

April 25th, 2011 15:00

I've tried this on two users so far but it is still happening to one. It's happened once so far now. I'm not aware that this user is shutting the PC off after leaving each night but when I walk by the monitor is on. Not sure what the issue could be.

Some users always show up in the list no matter what I do. When I restart the machine these users are there almost instantaneously. Other users really need a push from the software to have the machine recognize them. 

Still somewhat stumped. I'll likely be swapping these machines out soon.

22 Posts

April 26th, 2011 10:00

Well, after a day I'm back to report this is still not solving the problem. I'm not sure that it's software related at this point. I'm under the impression there's some kind of communication not occurring on the network.

25 Posts

June 16th, 2011 10:00

Has anyone come up with any kind of fix for this issue? I have a Dell 2335dn mfp and I am running win 7. I've tried everything so any help would be great.

22 Posts

June 16th, 2011 10:00

Hey JMC, I'm still experiencing this with some users. But I've found something that MAY work on Windows 7 machines.

You'll need to go into the Windows Firewall (Start->Control Panel->Windows Firewall)

Once you're in, on the left hand side there should be an option for "Advanced Settings." Click that and a new window should come up where you can define Inbound / Outbound rules.

Look under Inbound Rules. What you're looking for is the ScanMgr2.exe (I believe this is the correct exe for the Dell2335 Scan Manager). Right-click on the program (you may have multiple entries for ScanMgr2, I have roughly 6) and go to properties. This will pull up a properties sheet for the scan manager. There are a few options you need to check off:

- Under the Programs and Services Tab, mark the following: "All programs that meet the specified conditions"

- Under the Advanced Tab, check off all that apply (domain, private, public)

- Under the Protocols and Ports Tab, switch the Protocol Type to "Any"

Click Apply, Click OK.

Make sure to refresh / re-add the printer that's having an issue within Scan Manager and try again.

Let me know how you make out.

22 Posts

June 16th, 2011 11:00

The solution I posted is for Windows 7 but the majority of user's I've had were on XP. This is in a corporate environment and I only have a few users on 7 but it does happen on both.

25 Posts

Wow you got back to me quick!! Thanks!! I am currently not using the windows firewall because my antivirus is handling that. But I'm sure there is a way on the Kaspersky Firewall to allow these actions to take place. I will look into it further and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

22 Posts

No problem. I'm subscribed to this thread in the event anyone has a solution or if I make any developments. I'm surprised no one else besides us have this problem.

25 Posts

I'll keep you posted if I find anything out. Are you only having trouble on win xp?

25 Posts

June 16th, 2011 12:00

I found and changed the settings on my Kaspersky and I'm still on the scanner after a couple reboots. The true test will be when I come into work tomorrow. We have a couple computers here running xp so if I can get some time I'll see if I can figure anything out. Do u have any antivirus on your xp machines and if so have you gone through to make sure the AV isn't the source of the problem?

22 Posts

This happens to one laptop user as well but what I've noticed is that she'll come in with the laptop on. The wireless adapter is enabled and it automatically logs into the wireless network. She has a dock that she will connect the laptop to but the wireless connection still looks like the active adapter rather than switching to the ethernet adapter. I've already told her to disable the wireless connection when she gets in but every time I look it's still on. But that's probably simple oversight on my part, likely not a problem in your case.

25 Posts

I have them all setup using the wired connection with static ip's. No one really takes them home either.

22 Posts

We're using CA Anti-Virus and I haven't checked if that's the cause of the problem. The only reason I haven't checked that is because we're all running it and this is only happening with certain users. Usually the same ones. I'll have to check into that. I'm not a fan of CA and we've had way too many incidents with their software.

Thanks for the tip.

25 Posts

I would check into if I were you. I've seen a lot more strange things happen. We have about 30 computers that use the scanner but its only the laptops that are having trouble with it.

No Events found!