Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2011 10:00

Help! Dell 2335dn Scanner Dropping Names

I've tried searching the threads on this forum and on google but have yet to find a definitive answer.

I have about 10 users who use this 2335dn as a network scanner. Periodically, it will drop any random user off of the list. Sometimes I can just go back and hit refresh in the scan manager software and it will bring them back up on the printer. Other times it won't work at all.

How can I fix this? I read that this may be related to a problem where the printer is not "looking" for broadcasts by the software on the client's side. If this is true, how can I fix this?

More info upon request.

22 Posts

June 16th, 2011 13:00

I've seen this problem when the ScanManager software is run as an administrator or as a different account than what it was installed with. It's a really odd problem and I've even had issues where I wasn't allowed to change the directory it saves to. Did you run the ScanManager as the user or as an administrator or any "Run As..." option?

That's the only time I've seen that happen.

22 Posts

You'd just have to uninstall it and reinstall it. So long as you're an admin on the machine you should be able to without any issues. Also, I've downloaded and installed the very latest version of the 2335 software. Make sure you're running the same as well just to eliminate any possible software problems. I know it fixed SOME peoples' desktop problems.

25 Posts

Someone else actually installed all this before I started here some I'm really not sure what they did. Do you know how would I go about checking/fixing this issue?

25 Posts

As of now the scanner is still scanning to my computer but the display on the scanner is actually showing the computer name instead of the user name. In ScanManager I actually have the username as being JMC but its showing up as dell_le5510. Have you ever seen that before?

25 Posts

I do know that the latest version is on the machines here. I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow just to see if even my computer name is on the scanner. If that stays on there, that's when I'll start setting everyone up and uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

25 Posts

June 17th, 2011 07:00

Adrian, I'm still on the scanner. I did what you said by allowing ScanManager through the firewall of Kaspersky on my computer but my computer showed up on the scanner as the computer name. On another computer I changed the compatibility mode of the windows 7 Scanmanager to XP SP3 and that computer is showing up on the scan as the actual user. I'm going to test both ways on 3 separate computers each and come Monday I'll have the true results of my test. Thanks again for your help and I'll see if I can get something going for out windows xp machines.

22 Posts

June 29th, 2011 14:00

Hey JMC,

Sorry you're still not having any luck. I'm still having some XP users drop off of the list (2 or so users who tend to scan a lot as well). The Windows 7 user I have who constantly gets dropped was leaving her wireless adapter on. I also disabled any IPv6 settings in the network connections properties sheet. May want to try that as well.

25 Posts

June 29th, 2011 14:00

For some reason I still have one windows 7 computer that doesn't want to stay on that scanner (and it's the person that scans the most). I tried everything. I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Let me know if anyone has any ideas/fixes.

25 Posts

June 30th, 2011 06:00

I'm pretty sure that the ipv6 is disabled but I'll have to double check the wireless adapter. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how I make out.  

25 Posts

June 30th, 2011 12:00

I just check the computer that was having the issue and it seems to have put itself back on the scanner but the wireless was off and the ipv6 was not configured. I was wondering what firmware you had installed on your dell 2335 printer.

22 Posts

July 5th, 2011 09:00

Hey JMC,

Sorry for the delayed response. It's been pretty busy around here.

Here's the printer firmware information:

Printer Firmware Version: 2.70.05.02

Engine Firmware Version: 1.10.65

Network Firmware Version: V4.02.15(2335dn MFP) 11-22-2010

Let me know if you need to see anything. As of this morning I'm still having problems with two users.

22 Posts

July 7th, 2011 14:00

Nice, thanks for the link! I'll give it a go and update you in a week or so.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2011 12:00

Awesome thread, great success!  The post with the scan manager patch was helpful.  After uninstalling all 2335dn drivers, restarting, reinstalling 2335dn printer drivers, restarting, running scan manager patch, I was able to have the user scan in a document.  

-Problem in detail now- User at first did not even see her computer showing up on the scanner as an available computer to scan to. Remoted in, looked at scan manager, scan manager showed the 2335dn as status: Unknown Checked preferences.  Renamed the computer from a persons name to the actual computer name. Had user reboot computer and printer.  -Turning on the computer first then the printer. Computer name showed up in list of devices to scan to. When the user attempted to scan something though it read:  Connecting     Then it read Not Available. User could not scan in, the name from the list dissapeared later that day randomly.

Saw this thread. Remoted back in, uninstalled all drivers, blah blah blah, reinstalled drivers Had user test scan something in to Installer profile, scanned in succesfully Logged into user profile. User could not add the scanner to the Dell Scan Manager.  It gave some error message. Logged back into installer and went to dell scan manager file location Set security permissions for users to have full control of just Dell Scan manager Logged back in as user. Was now able to add Dell 2335dn to the scan manager. User scanned in document successfully.

-Thanks for the help ^  without these posts, solving this issue would have taken a lot longer.  

22 Posts

July 8th, 2011 12:00

Nice to see this has helped someone else.

I'm trying a different route right now but will patch as soon as I can get on the two users' machines. I've set up the printer to send via SMTP (given that we are in a corporate environment). I'm able to control the local address book so that gives me more comfort than having software communicate with the printer.

As of now the two users are set up to scan via e-mail which works without a hitch so far.

If it's an option for some users, I would try this method if you're not having any success with any of the aforementioned tips.

Thanks to jmc5018 who contributed the patch / link and for his continued input on this thread. Maybe this can get stickied for others having issues.

Glad to see this has helped someone!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 8th, 2011 13:00

adrian.Keith,

I do not have the power to stickie this thread but I can create a stickie to point to this. Is there a thread that it should start at, because I can direct link to that post.

Rick

No Events found!