Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2011 10:00

Help! Dell 2335dn Scanner Dropping Names

I've tried searching the threads on this forum and on google but have yet to find a definitive answer.

I have about 10 users who use this 2335dn as a network scanner. Periodically, it will drop any random user off of the list. Sometimes I can just go back and hit refresh in the scan manager software and it will bring them back up on the printer. Other times it won't work at all.

How can I fix this? I read that this may be related to a problem where the printer is not "looking" for broadcasts by the software on the client's side. If this is true, how can I fix this?

More info upon request.

1 Message

October 24th, 2011 08:00

We just got this printer, same problem with Windows 7 PCs

22 Posts

October 24th, 2011 12:00

Sorry I haven't come up with any other alternatives. At this point, we've moved to scanning to the user's e-mail address. Dropping the names on a daily basis was becoming a problem for users who scanned frequently.

25 Posts

I know the users would rather be able to scan as a pdf right to their Documents folder but I guess email would be the next best alternative. I'm current working with someone from dell who is helping me trouble shoot this issue. Hopefully we can get this straightened out, but if not I'll be doing the same thing that you did.

25 Posts

I'm still working on a solutions right now. I'll keep you updated. Let me know if you figure anything out.

22 Posts

I understand. We have a few users who scan documents all day and need them to go to a folder rather than come in through a hundred e-mails throughout the day. I spoke with a Dell tech support rep at one point as well and he recommended installing the Dell 2355 software instead of the 2335 software and that only worked for so long. Hopefully he has a different solution. Thanks for staying on top of this one JMC.

25 Posts

October 24th, 2011 13:00

Are you using Desktops or Laptops? And if they are Laptops, are they in a dock?

22 Posts

I think they eventually dropped off at some point I haven't confirmed since we made the change to scan to e-mail almost the same time we made the last attempt to get the scan to pc setting set up.

22 Posts

It's a mixed bag but the majority are on desktops. If on laptops, yes, they are docked.

25 Posts

We only have one user who uses a desktop and the rest are laptops with docks. For some reason, the desktop is always on the scanner. It's only the laptops that drop off. Since I basically tried everything else, I'm going to try taking one of the docks out of the mix and see if the laptop stays on the scanner. I highly doubt that the dock would be causing the issue but I'm ready to try anything at this point.

25 Posts

Not a problem. When we spoke before, you said you were able to get the scanner working on the windows 7 computers. Is that sill the case? Or did they drop off too?

25 Posts

October 26th, 2011 06:00

I talked to Dell and they don't seem to have a fix. I've come up with a little work around though. For some reason we have a desktop that does stay on the scanner. It shows up on the scanner as the computer name rather than the user name but I'm fine with that. In the Dell Scan Manager you have the ability to choose which folder you want the scan to go to. (you can also create multiple folders). What I started doing is create a folder for each user on the server and point Dell Scan Manager to that folder. Now when a user scans, they are basically scanning through the computer that doesn't drop off the scanner but they are scanning to their own individual folder on the server. I then mapped that folder on their local machines so its easier for them to access it. All the user has to do now is make sure they select their folder when making a scan. So if your lucky enough to have one computer that stays on the scanner, you can do it this way.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2011 18:00

Hello guys, thanks for posting all your troubleshooting steps.  I've been dealing with the same issue on a small client network of 5 computers.  Its a mix of 2 laptops and 3 desktops, and only one computer stays on the printer network PC list.  This all started after the power went out to the building 2 months ago, and I haven't been able to fix it since.

I was able to get all the computers back on the network PC list temporarily by updating to the newest ScanManager and applying the patch.  Since then, all but one computer has fallen off the list again.

Unfortunately, its more cost effective to just write this multifunction printer off rather than continue troubleshooting it.  I'll see if the client will change their minds about moving to Scan Via E-mail before recommending buying a different model to replace this one.

I was really hoping there would be a solution, rather than work arounds!

22 Posts

November 3rd, 2011 15:00

Hey PMorgan, you and me both! I spent enough time trying to fight with it but the scan to email is just going to have to work for now until they want to buy something new that has a more elegant solution than sending the user's computer name via the scanning software. Rather disappointing not seeing more support from Dell on these machines.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2012 07:00

Same issue here. I guess it works better on XP machines, but we have none! I really thought I could figure out some simple solution, but have exhausted all options with scan manager/driver reinstalled, etc.

I have set up scan-to-email in the local address book and it is pretty easy, but I won't buy another dell MFC again....

1 Message

August 30th, 2012 07:00

I'm experiencing this problem too and will try your suggestions adrian.keith. Since this thread is over a year old though, I'm curious to know if you got this working consistently in your environment or if you've since replaced the 2335.

No Events found!