jmc5018
2 Bronze

Re: Help! Dell 2335dn Scanner Dropping Names

Jump to solution

Adrian, I'm still on the scanner. I did what you said by allowing ScanManager through the firewall of Kaspersky on my computer but my computer showed up on the scanner as the computer name. On another computer I changed the compatibility mode of the windows 7 Scanmanager to XP SP3 and that computer is showing up on the scan as the actual user. I'm going to test both ways on 3 separate computers each and come Monday I'll have the true results of my test. Thanks again for your help and I'll see if I can get something going for out windows xp machines.

0 Kudos
jmc5018
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

For some reason I still have one windows 7 computer that doesn't want to stay on that scanner (and it's the person that scans the most). I tried everything. I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Let me know if anyone has any ideas/fixes.

0 Kudos
adrian.Keith
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey JMC,

Sorry you're still not having any luck. I'm still having some XP users drop off of the list (2 or so users who tend to scan a lot as well). The Windows 7 user I have who constantly gets dropped was leaving her wireless adapter on. I also disabled any IPv6 settings in the network connections properties sheet. May want to try that as well.

0 Kudos
jmc5018
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure that the ipv6 is disabled but I'll have to double check the wireless adapter. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how I make out.  

0 Kudos
jmc5018
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I just check the computer that was having the issue and it seems to have put itself back on the scanner but the wireless was off and the ipv6 was not configured. I was wondering what firmware you had installed on your dell 2335 printer.

0 Kudos
adrian.Keith
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey JMC,

Sorry for the delayed response. It's been pretty busy around here.

Here's the printer firmware information:

Printer Firmware Version: 2.70.05.02

Engine Firmware Version: 1.10.65

Network Firmware Version: V4.02.15(2335dn MFP) 11-22-2010

Let me know if you need to see anything. As of this morning I'm still having problems with two users.

0 Kudos
jmc5018
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey there Adrian,

Thanks for the info. It looks like Dell just came out with a patch for scan manager on 7/5/11. I installed it and so far the names are still on the scanners. Give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

Download Link:

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

View solution in original post

adrian.Keith
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Nice, thanks for the link! I'll give it a go and update you in a week or so.

0 Kudos
David0111
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Awesome thread, great success!  The post with the scan manager patch was helpful.  After uninstalling all 2335dn drivers, restarting, reinstalling 2335dn printer drivers, restarting, running scan manager patch, I was able to have the user scan in a document.  

-Problem in detail now- User at first did not even see her computer showing up on the scanner as an available computer to scan to. Remoted in, looked at scan manager, scan manager showed the 2335dn as status: Unknown Checked preferences.  Renamed the computer from a persons name to the actual computer name. Had user reboot computer and printer.  -Turning on the computer first then the printer. Computer name showed up in list of devices to scan to. When the user attempted to scan something though it read:  Connecting     Then it read Not Available. User could not scan in, the name from the list dissapeared later that day randomly.

Saw this thread. Remoted back in, uninstalled all drivers, blah blah blah, reinstalled drivers Had user test scan something in to Installer profile, scanned in succesfully Logged into user profile. User could not add the scanner to the Dell Scan Manager.  It gave some error message. Logged back into installer and went to dell scan manager file location Set security permissions for users to have full control of just Dell Scan manager Logged back in as user. Was now able to add Dell 2335dn to the scan manager. User scanned in document successfully.

-Thanks for the help ^  without these posts, solving this issue would have taken a lot longer.  

0 Kudos
adrian.Keith
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Nice to see this has helped someone else.

I'm trying a different route right now but will patch as soon as I can get on the two users' machines. I've set up the printer to send via SMTP (given that we are in a corporate environment). I'm able to control the local address book so that gives me more comfort than having software communicate with the printer.

As of now the two users are set up to scan via e-mail which works without a hitch so far.

If it's an option for some users, I would try this method if you're not having any success with any of the aforementioned tips.

Thanks to jmc5018 who contributed the patch / link and for his continued input on this thread. Maybe this can get stickied for others having issues.

Glad to see this has helped someone!

0 Kudos