Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2011 11:00

Help Getting Scan to Email and Scan to PC working on Dell 1355cn/1355cnw

I have a Dell 1355cnw MFP that I'm trying to get to scan to email and scan to PC.

The printer is hooked up wireless to my WiFi network at home and prints wireless fine.

2 things I'm trying accomplish:

• Scan to a gmail account. 
  • Scan to PC on my network. 

Can someone please walk me through the settings?  Please help!

5 Posts

December 31st, 2013 14:00

I had the same issue as many here - all SMTP/POP parameters correct, but could not connect to the server.

Until I found the culprit - my TCPIP settings had "Get DNS Server Address from DHCP" enabled. However, since I have a wireless router and a cable modem in the chain, the DNS server was never handed down correctly. Just setting a manual DNS server's IP solved the issue now. SMTP server can be found and e-mail sent ...

Hope that helps somebody else!

September 2nd, 2014 03:00

Hi,

I got into steps 1 and 2 smoothly but  I cannot pull  up the my printer's ip on the browser. The farthest I could get would be my router's gui. 192.168.1.1, whereas my printer's IP address is 192.168.1.4.

Is there any other way to pull up web config pages?

7 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 06:00

Hi,

If you are certain your printer's IP is 192.168.1.4, then all you have to do is put that into the browser's address bar and hit ENTER.  I have noticed with this printer that it does occasionally freeze (I would say 3 times in the last year).  It is not a big deal, because all you have to do is turn it off and back on.  If your printer is frozen, it won't respond.  Just hit the MENU key on the front of your printer, and see if the screen lights up.  If it does, the printer is fine.  If it does not, then reach down to the lower-right side and turn it off.  Count to 10, and turn it back on.  Once it finishes its boot cycle, try to open the printer properties via the browser again at 192.168.1.4.

Since you can open your Router's page, you can also check to make sure the IP for the printer is correct.  It should come up as DELLC5F4F4 (or something very similar) in the list of Network Devices.

September 2nd, 2014 23:00

Hello,

Yes it was what appears on the router's gui as the printer's ip address but when I try to put on the browser nothing happens.

Thanks

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 09:00

You can verify what it is directly on the printer :

Menu - System - Admin Menu - Network - TCP/IP - IPv4.

Make sure the IP is what you expect it to be : 192.168.1.4

The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

The gateway is 192.168.1.1

You should have this set to Auto-IP (first choice in the TCPIP menu on the printer).  If all of the above matches what you see on the printer, then something is blocking your access to a local IP.  Normally firewalls won't do this unless you specifically ask them to.  Try a different browser (FireFox, IE, Safari, Chrome), you may have a local add-on causing an issue.

Did you set up this printer as a wireless network printer (ie. without using a USB cord) ?

Can you ping your printer on the address you think it is on?  (ie. open a command window and type in ping 192.168.1.4).  Do you get a response?

September 27th, 2014 08:00

I solved this issue last time by installing the Dell Scan Center application from the software disc.  I loved that application it was so easy to use. I have a new dilemma.  I have a new Dell Ultrabook that doesn't have a CD drive so I can't install the DSC application.  Any ideas where I can find this application for download online?

5 Posts

September 27th, 2014 09:00

Are you referring to the MFP software suite?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/1355CNW/drivers

For the c1765 that I have it would be here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-C1765nfw/drivers

Go down to the drivers/downloads section and look for the "Application" installer.

7 Posts

September 27th, 2014 10:00

If the MFP software is not exactly what you want, you can pretty easily create an ISO disc image of your original CD on any computer which has a CD drive, and then copy it over to your ultrabook via a network.  Run it on the Ultrabook, and it thinks you are running it from a local CD drive.Easy to use, and free :
http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-CloneDrive/3000-20432_4-173879.html

6 Posts

March 16th, 2015 13:00

Scan to Email works with the C1765, when you create an AOL.COM account.

The config of the printer has to look like this (sorry for German language):

primärer SMTP-Gateway => smtp.aol.com
SMTP-Portnummer => 587
Email Authentifizierung => SMTP AUTH (Plain)
SMTP-Anmeldung Benutzer => abcxyz@aol.de
SMTP-Anmeldung Passwort => ****
SMTP-Anmeldepasswort erneut => ****
POP3-Serveradresse => pop.aol.de
POP3-Port-Nummer => 110
POP-Benutzername => abcxyz@aol.de
POP-Kennwort => ****
POP-Kennwort erneut => ****
Antwortadresse => abcxyz@aol.de

Take care! After creating the AOL.COM account, you have to log into the webinterface and send an email from there. This will ask for another CAPTCHA and after that you will be able to send emails.

March 17th, 2015 16:00

I've been working with Dell support on this issue for weeks, and finally got a response from a Senior Technical Analyst that makes sense:

"I reviewed the case and see that you are having issues scanning to email. For this model, we only support locally hosted email servers with basic or no authentication."

In short, if you don't have your own SMTP server on-site, you're probably SOL. This feature was not designed to work with popular email hosting services like Gmail, etc.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2016 19:00

Hi, I'm back.  I'm trying to get this to work through gmail.  HEre are my settings.

SMTP Server: aspmx.l.google.com (no SSL available)

Port: 25 (I had this unblocked by AT&T)

Authentication: *None

Login:

Password: I've tried both

DNS: 8.8.8.8

Reply:

These are the only settings that have "worked".  Previously I was getting "unable to connect" and "SMTP Login" errors on the admin screen.  Now, the server status says "Ready" and when I scan to email, everything looks as if it sent, but I'm not receiving anything to the gmail account I'm sending to.  

372 Posts

August 1st, 2016 08:00

ok, this works for a 2665 and the 625 printers.  The issue is with Gmail

I have the answer to this issue, I setup a google address to scan to any email address from home.

Here is the major issue. Google wants us to use their Google Apps. Our Dell Printer does not use a google app. So we have to get a password from Google to access their email system. They make us go through this step for all non-google app access.

Two steps in Google to allow the printer to access your account.

Go to your Google gmail account. You need to activate the 2-Step Verification turned on

mail.google.com/.../0 etc

Last Google STEP!

Go to App Passwords.

Setup a password for ALL applications you will use, like your printer. It will Generate a password for you. Copy it >This is an important step. You need this password to make it all work.

Step one, log into your printer via web browser.

Print Server Settings> then click the tab [Print Server Settings] >then [TCP/IP]

2nd box down you will see DNS. IPv4 un-check the Get DNS box enter this address 8.8.8.8

Click at the bottom Apply new Settings. You MUST always apply the setting before leaving the page or it doesn’t save the setting.

Step 2, go to the [E-Mail Server] tab

Primary SMTP Gateway: smtp.gmail.com

SMTP Port Number: 465

Email Send Auth: *SMTP AUTH (AUTO)

SMTP login: your gmail login email here

Password: your G-mail GENERATED password. This is where you paste that password that Google generated.

Password: repeat

POP and POP3 ignore it.

Reply Address: your gmail email address goes here again

Click at the bottom Apply new Settings. You MUST always apply the setting before leaving the page or it doesn’t save the setting.

Step 3

Click the [Security] tab above

Then the SMTP - SSL/TLS Communication: *SSL/TLS

4 Posts

April 27th, 2017 14:00

Confirmed that the SMTP settings are in the E-Mail Alerts section.  Even though this section appears to only be settings for Alerts, its for defining your SMTP settings for general email communication also.  Why Dell can't just keep alert settings and SMTP settings separate is beyond me. Keeping those separate is pretty much standard with any other vendor.  

Also we noted that scanning to an email folder (using a login account to the PC for authentication) does not support special characters. Printer will return an error that the password is incorrect. Take the special character out of the password and its accepted. Dell does not document any of this in their manuals, which is yet another fail.  Validity justification: I've been a network/computer engineer for over 25 years. Firmware programming of this type is below par especially when since these printers were sold in 2012. Strong password requirements have been around for quite a while and this shouldn't be new to Dell by any means, regardless if its for a Home/SMB.

7 Posts

April 27th, 2017 16:00

I used to use Scan to SMB, but with Win10, that proved to be a challenge.  I believe the problem is SMBv3 in Win10 whereas the Dell only support v2.  At any rate, "scan to network - FTP server" works every time.  That's what I have been using for 2 years now, never had an issue.  I just run the Microsoft FTP Service which comes with Win10 as a server, and select that every time I scan.  Scans to a PDF, and deposits it in the same directory every time.

1 Message

April 20th, 2020 18:00

I was never able to find the "Security" tab. I'm hoping this is the last thing I need to get this to work. Help?

Thanks!!

No Events found!