Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2010 13:00

I spent hours and I need help with 942 AIO printer for my Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7

I have a new Toshiba A665 with Windows 7 that I want to work with my old Dell 942 AIO printer, which I really liked.  I've spent so many hours trying to get this to work, and almost bought a new printer, but I see some hope by other emails that I might get it to work, but I can't..  I tried downloading all of the drivers from the Dell site (Vista and XP) and still couldn't get it to work. Could someone please walk me through it, step by step.  I need to start school again next week and need a printer!  Thank you.

Susie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2010 13:00

Susie,

On your Windows 7 computer, is it 32-bit or 64-bit? If you're not sure, try running Finding System Information and please remove your product ID and any personal information, if you full name is used.

Rick

December 28th, 2010 16:00

Dear Rick:

First, thank you for replying to my email.  I appreciate it.  I have a 64 bit  - Windows 7. 

Susie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2010 17:00

Susie,

First try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Do you have the printer disk? If so, I'll walk you through the process to install the OCR Program.

Rick

December 28th, 2010 20:00

Rick,

I never got the printer to load onto my new laptop computer as I didn't have the proper driver, so I didn't have any print jobs in there.  I removed the device from the computer and I have the printer unplugged.  I couldn't find the 64-bit Vista driver (just 32-bit) to download.  Could you give me the link please or tell me specifically where to get it. 

I do not have accessibility to the printer disks to download at this time.  I hope I can still do it.  Thank you so much!  Could you get back to me asap as I like to get this done tomorrow, if possible. 

Susie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2010 21:00

Susie,

The Vista 64-bit drivers are in my thread at Dell 942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

The patch(printer cleanup utility should also be run, then restart your computer to give you a fresh start at installing the printer in the Compatibility mode

Rick

December 28th, 2010 23:00

Dear Rick:

I tried the patch and it kept saying "please wait" for over 10 minutes and never did come out right, but I followed your instructions for Windows 7, and I removed the device like you said;  that is what  I had been doing before as well.  I restarted the computer.  I am confident I do not have any printers on this new laptop.  I downloaded the vista 64-bit driver from your link (thank you).  I right clicked on my R151559.exe and then left for "properties", but I only have 5 tabs, not 6 like your example, and the one that is missing is the "compatibility" tab.  I have all the others:  General, Digital Signatures, Security, Details, Previous Versions.  I tried plugging my printer in again; it ran through the process and said I do not have the correct driver like it has been saying.  Can you give me any other suggestions?  Thank you for your assistance.

Susie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 29th, 2010 02:00

Susie,

Sorry about the confusion with the patch, Mickey S did state that the patch did NOT work for Windows 7. I have corrected the first thread to reflect this. 

I just downloaded the R151599.exe file and right clicked on it. It looks like you'll need to install this in the Windows XP (Service Pack 2) Compatibility mode. Click apply, then click ok.

Rick click on the file again , then left click run as administrator.

This may unzip and then sit on the desktop or it mayt install. If it sits there, then right click setup.exe and change the compatibility mode to XP, click apply, then ok, then right click again and run as administrator. 

If needed, please read THESE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS listed below my post there. Mickey S has contributed the differences of what was done to install the printer the rest of the way.

After the drivers are installed, you should get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

December 29th, 2010 10:00

Dear Rick:

Hallelujah!  I got it to work!  Thank you ever so much.  I kept at it, repeating between the XP2 and Vista 2.  I had to uninstall the Dell Device Manager, and that got me to the next step.  I ended up getting it to work with the compatibility of Vista (SP2).  Even though it said the driver was not successfully available,  the test page printed, and I was thrilled.  Thank you so much, Rick, for being available and assisting people like me.  You're terrific. 

With appreciation,

Susie  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 29th, 2010 12:00

Susie,

If you can locate the printer disk, you'll need to use it to get the OCR Program off it for scanning. If you do not have it, then a link to a program that will work with it is listed below but it is preferred to use the Abbyy Fine Reader Program from the printer disk.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or

Try Simple OCR

Rick

No Events found!