Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2012 12:00

Inspiron 530 vs. HP Officejet 4500 Printer Issue

I just got off the phone after a 3 hour phone call to HP tech support troubleshooting why my new HP Officejet 4500 printer will not print with my Dell Inspiron 530 desktop. It was finally determined that the issue is most likely with the printer software installed on my computer since when the printer was connected to my wife's laptop, it worked perfectly.

The tech instructed me to get in touch with Dell for possible solutions. 

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate now. Original system came with XP Home. I still have the recovery disks and I'm wondering if there is some type of repair option on them that might help out in this situation. I was hoping to avoid another 3 hour phone call with Dell support with someone else I can barely understand :emotion-5:

It is NOT a USB cable issue. The printer will scan and copy, but will not print anything from the computer or the Internet. I have the latest driver/software downloaded from the HP site...this is not the issue.

Has anybody else had any printer issues they were able to resolve?

Paul

5 Posts

March 14th, 2012 22:00

Yes. This was for a printer that has actually been installed for a long time.  About 3 weeks ago, it just stopped printing.  Tried removing printer and it's related software, rebooted and downloaded the software from HP to make sure that it was okay.  Oddly enough, printer worked find during that new reinstallation, but as soon as I tried to print a page, it would not work. Have no idea why it stopped abruptly, or why it works fine during install, but not afterward.  Weird, very weird.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2012 02:00

Paul and lanesharon,

This thread was recently moved to the Printers forum.If you need help, please post back and I'll see what I can do to get things working properly.

Rick

5 Posts

March 15th, 2012 08:00

Windows 7 64 bit.  I removed all of the original HP software for the printer.  Then, I cleaned the registry with Glary Utilities.  Then, I downloaded the latest software for it (64-bit) from HP's website.  Ran the install and it worked fine.  Printed out pages, etc..  But, when I got to any document, be it WordPerfect, txt, etc. to print them, it does not work.  I tried a new USB cord, just in case.  No difference.  As I said before, this printer was working fine and all of a sudden stopped working on computer documents, but has always worked fine in local copy mode.  This is definitely a software problem.  And, I have been reading on the web.  This same situation seems to be happening to a LOT of people.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2012 10:00

lanesharon,

When you thought you reinstalled the printer, if there was a stuck print job in the queue, the printer never reinstalled.

Delete all print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Install the printer using the printer manufacturers instructions. Some HP Printers will use Windows drivers and some use a CD/drivers to install. If installing the drivers, install the drivers first. You'll get a message, then printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

If using this printer on a Windows 7 system, installing the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode

Since the printer was installed after the other programs were installed, then will default to a program like Microsoft XPS Document Writer. So you'll need to click file, print and select the proper printer.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

lanesharon,

Run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Restart your computer.

Open the document you want to print. Click on File, print and make sure the proper printer is selected.

Rick

5 Posts

Pudgy,

Thank you for those suggestions, but I have been working on computers since 1966.  I did clean the print queue and make sure that the 4500 was the default after reinstall.  The printer did not 'plug and play' detect.  So, not that.  Avast did not block.

5 Posts

Thanks Pudgy, but I already cleared out the print queue, too.  Sorry, forgot to say that in my post.  Cleaning the queue and rebooting made no difference.  Documents still went into the queue and stayed there.  Tried the remove, clean, reload software process twice.  So, not that either.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2012 11:00

lanesharon,

Registry cleaners can cause problems. Can you use system restore and go back before the registry cleaner was used?

Make and model of your computer. Since this was started by someone else, I cannot be sure if you have the same make and model of computer. I have a few known issues.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 15th, 2012 14:00

lanesharon,

Sorry I could not help. I can usually get printers installed with very few issues.

Take care,

Rick

5 Posts

March 15th, 2012 14:00

Thanks, but have decided to take it back and get a different printer. BTW, would not use a registry cleaner that 'caused problems'.  I know some of them do.  

February 25th, 2017 19:00

instructions here https://www.printerdriverforwindows.com/hp-officejet-4500-wireless-all-in-one-printer-driver-download

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!