Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2014 05:00

Installing printer software

I want to install my v305 printer on my Win 7 laptop. Should I use the installation disk that came with it, or the newest driver that I downloaded from the Dell support website, or both, and in what order. I remember the disk contains some other software that I would also like to install. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 10th, 2014 03:00

emfrilingos,

I'm not sure if Internet Explorer 11 was offered on Vista. I know it was offered on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Comes on Windows 8.1, but work on this operating system.

Can you explain your problem and maybe I can help.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 4th, 2014 07:00

emfrilingos,

Hopefully you did not connect the printer before installing the drivers.

With the computer online, insert the Dell Printer disk. It should automatically look for updated version of the drivers. The OCR program and Fax software are on the printers disk.

Since you mentioned Windows 7, follow the instructions below and see if you have Internet Explorer 11 installed...

In a recent batch of Windows Updates, Microsoft installed Internet Explorer 11. IE11 had been causing printer problems.(prints one print job, then will not print the rest of the print jobs until restarted.)

Open Internet Explorer, click on Help, then click on About Internet Explorer. It should show the version there. If you have IE11, then go to control panel, Windows Update, Installed Updates, look for Internet Explorer 11. Click on Internet Explorer 11, uninstall.

Restart the computer, when prompted. Then see if your printer works.

Rick

62 Posts

February 4th, 2014 18:00

I do have IE11. From what you write, I should first uninstall it, install IE10, and instruct it to not update automatically, Or rather should I install the printer first, and then do that if I have problems? I normally use Firefox, but is useful to have IE on occasion,.. And is a new version of the printer driver, compatible with newer versions of IE expected soon?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 03:00

emfrilingos,

You'll need to uninstall IE11, even if you don't use it. Something in IE11 is causing the print spooler problem.

Your printer was made for Dell by Lexmark and they got out of the printer business. Your printer drivers worked fine, this was a problem Microsoft created when they installed Internet Explorer 11. Something in the program cause the print spooler issues. Microsoft has been notified and unknown if they're working on a new release to correct this.

Rick

62 Posts

February 10th, 2014 03:00

I'm wondering if IE11 is what caused the problems with v305 in my old Vista laptop. A Dell service technician from India spent 3 hours a year ago trying to fix it and he couldn't. He suggested that I should reinstall Windows...

No Events found!