Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2009 09:00

Issue Reinstalling Dell AIO 962

After an issue with my PC, I got messages stating that the start-up was not loading the Dell AIO  Software was not loading....     Attempted to un-install the printer & software & then re-install. 

Re-install not completing correctly.  >>  Getting the following message "Required section not found in INF"    --- ????   Running on Dell4550 with XP - Home Edition SP3

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 30th, 2009 17:00

PerplexedMe,

Follow the instructions below and everything should install for you. Let me know what happens.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

Install the latest firmware for the 962 printer

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

March 31st, 2009 13:00

Thank you... I will try this later tonight & will let you know how it works.... 

I have gone thru multiple uninstalls & reinstalls, including removing device manager entries.   I have downloaded the driver info previously, but will make sure I do it again for a clean version.      I am hopeful I can get this back online again. 

I understand your info & points on the OCR software install separately,  BUT do I need to do anything special for the "All-in-one Center" monitoring software ?  That is where I believe I started in this mess as I was getting a message that it could not load program that to the sys tray when I logged on.     That is whne I started the uninstall - reinstall mess.   

Thank you again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2009 14:00

PerplexedMe,

The patch is like a cleanup utility and will clean out the old(wrong) printer drivers. MUST be run on Vista machines. I recommend it on all machines, even though it doesn't say so, it works.

Dell All-In-One Center is in the printer drivers. I was told the OCR was in the drivers package but have found out differently, that's why I have the seperate instructions.

Adding applications to the scan program, try reading these instructions...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

April 1st, 2009 06:00

Rick,   I really appreciate your info & assistance that you have provided.      I have gone thru the steps outlined 2 times, & it did NOT work. 

I am still getting thru the install to a box that states device was not installed,  - " the required section not found in the INF" 

I did the patch program twice.   ----- 

1st run  >>  After doing the downloads & believing that I was current on the  .Net Framework  & Java,  I ran the patch program.   All seemed to work with the patch & then rebooted & installed the driver file (with the Dell AIO 962 printer NOT connected).   When it asked for the printer, I connected the USB to the printer, was going through the detect new hardware & then came up with the error screen.   After a reboot, the system comes back thinking that there is still new hardware to install. 

(The system detects about 4 (or so) devices when the printer is connected >>   Dell AIO 962; Dell Photo AIO 962; Scan;  & HID (human interface device?), etc....   Also, the printer does NOT show up in the printer listings )  

On the 2nd run

I checked the .Net Framework, attempted to update, but it stated that I had previous version that needed to be removed.   I removed all of the .Net versions (1.0, 1.1 hotfix, 2.0; 3.0; 3.5) - rebooted - then went to the .NET link for the 3.5 version and re-installed clean.     Success with that step.      Then did the Java update - was at 6.11 release level, did the successful update to the 6.13 version as per the Java site.  All suucessful to this point. 

Disconnected the printer cable >>  Ran the Dell patch to remove all of the old driver/software form the system-  Successful - then reboot. 

Re-install driver file, went software x-fer, the software install - requested the printer connection, then the same result.  -- No printer.  The dialogue stated device was not installed, the message is the same - "The required section not found in the INF" .    That is where I have the unit right now.

Previously, I was able to 'manually' add the printer (via control panel - printers approach), & it actually recognized the Dell AIO Center,   BUT then on a reboot the system thinks that there is still new hardware to be installed...  It goes thru the detection & then comes up with the message that states it could not complete the install.    Related BUT different >>  Additionally, even though I got the printer recognized manually & could print from the connected computer , it is NOT recognized by the laptop we use wireless to the home network (the printer was 'shared' & laptop runs Vista) .   I think that if I get a clean install this will all work again.

Again, appreciate the info that you have provided thus far, any additional info or insights greatly accepted/appreciated.    Barry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2009 10:00

Barry,

After reading your last post, there  is an issue. Your computer is XP and when I had my Dell Inspiron B130, I needed all those versions of .net framework to have everything work. Removing one or more versions of .net framework will cause problems. On the Vista machine, you need to right click on the patch, left click run as administrator, and let it run until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer and only install the drivers provided in the above post. Do NOT let Microsoft install the drivers.

Do you have the XP Operating system disk for the Dell 4550? If you do NOT, then request a backup disk below my signature. If so, then I'd try doing a repair of the Operating system using these instructions.

Insert the disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. Leave the operating system disk in until you see the Welcome screen. Takes about 35 minutes.

You'll need to get all the Windows Updates again. When I did this on my Dell, I didn't lose any files and folders.

Then I'd try installing the printer drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on). Please use a 5ft USB Cable or smaller.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2009 13:00

PerplexedMe,

My old laptop had 1.0 on up and all the hot fixes. I would just do the repair and it will bring everything back to normal and get the updates. I did un-install .net framework and had issues. I did the repair and got everything back. The most painful thing is downloading all the updates, again. 

Rick

April 1st, 2009 13:00

Wow...   Interesting.    I do have the Dell XP CD that came with the 4550, so I guess I will need to attempt that path.   Then re-apply all of the SP info to get to the more current state.    Not looking forward to that task BUT I am suspecting that I got something crossed or missing in the registry.  

On the .Net Framework info & approach, the MS site indicated the all of the prior release ifunction was included in the current relaease (3.5) & that is why the old ones needed to be removed for the 3.5 to succeed.     Anyway, I did it & when I looked at Control Panel - Add / Remove Programs afterward, several release versions (4 of them  - 2.0, 2.x(?), 3.0 & 3.5   I think)  re-appeared.   (I did notice that the 1.0 & 1.1 was not on the list)    While I did NOT do a thorough test, the parts that I did touch seemed to function fine, I am hoping that I did not mess up other programs.

Again, thank you for your ideas & assistance 

April 2nd, 2009 11:00

Rick,

Re- The re-install of XP Home on my 4550 ---   As best I can tell / attempt - the XP CD with SP1 that came with the PC when I purchased - Does NOT have the ability to BOOT up from there.  As the machine starts, I push the f12 to get the boot selection option screen, choose the IDE CD drive option.  It either wants me to got to exit (f1) or set-up(f2).   I am concluding that I can't boot from that particular CD.       Not sure if the versions that I could get from the link you sent are different from my version or not.   

When I boot up "normally", insert the CD it autoruns a menu for > install, add windows features, & a couple of other non related choices.   I try the install & it stops me without an option to "repair"  or "override" ...      The message states that my current installed version is greater than the CD version, will not continue.    I also have a Dell Diagnostics CD, that I actually ran BUT it is relatively useless in my situation, more HW checks, etc.    ( I really DON'T want to wipe this machine & start over. )     Do you think if I attempted to download & reinstall the SP's would do anything for the cause?  (I am doubting it, but willing to attempt if not a total waste of time)

Thanks.... barry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 13:00

Barry,

Restart the computer. Press F2 when you see the Dell screen and enter the bios. Look for boot sequence. Move the CD rom above the Hard drive, so it boot from CD before the Hard Drive.

Rick

2 Posts

August 11th, 2009 20:00

Rick, how many times do you have to do this to get the all in one center back? I've done it around 52 times now.

ldegidio

2 Posts

August 11th, 2009 20:00

Rick,

This doesn't work. I've done it about 50 times now. What's the real way to get the all in one center installed so I can scan?

ldegidio

December 15th, 2014 13:00

Hi Rick, I hope you're still active on this forum, since the last message dates back 5 years!

I have recently purchased a new Pc (necessary, since my Dell was 8 years old and starting to cough a little), with a Windows 8.1 op sys. I still have and (try to) use a Dell AIO 962 multifunction printer. I say try because it has disappeared from my new pc's radar. I have followed all your advices, but still the printer icon in my operating panel states "no driver". What do I have to do to solve the problem? Thank you in advance for your help.

Camillo

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2014 09:00

Camillo,

Sorry for the delay, work.

A couple of questions...

Is the operating system you have installed Windows 8.1 32-bit or 64-bit?

Is your operating system in English or another language?

If you're not sure how to answer the top 2 questions, Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

December 17th, 2014 11:00

Hi Rick,

np, we all have our working time to spend ;-)

Let me get back to you with some answers taken from the System Info;

I have a Windows 8.1 64-bit os in Italian (my language)

I'm using an Aast antivirus program and the Avast and McAfee firewalls (maybe 2 is too much...)

Does this suffice you?

Thanks

Camillo

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2014 11:00

Camillo,

Use ONLY 1 virus program and firewall. If you use more than one, they sometimes conflict with each other.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You may or may not get a message to connect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the R keys at the same time. Type...

C:\Program Files\Dell 962\Drivers

You should see an English folder there. Right click, new, create folder. Name the new folder Italian. Copy all the files in the English folder and paste them to the Italian folder.

Double click on the Vista 64-bit drivers and install again. There should be a message, then printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 962 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

The printer will work in English instead of Italian

(Not sure if these are the Italian Vista 64-bit drivers for the Dell 962 Printer)

Avast should not be a problem but go programs and feature (Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features) Click on Avast, then modify. Uninstall the feature you don't use, like the VPN connection. I think this could block printer communications.

No Events found!