Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2009 22:00

Major Problems installing/uninstalling 944 AIO

I just purchased a Dell Studio 1737 running Vista Home Premium 64 bit.   I have been having major problems installing my printer. 

I began by downloading the drivers from support and installing.  Apparrently I must have downloaded the drivers for XP because I now cannot get them off my computer!  I have searched troubleshooting and done everything it says.  I downloaded the Dell Driver Remover, the Xp Remover Utility and nothing.  I then used the disk and tried to unistall the program and nothing.  The program does not show up under Add/Remove Programs or in Control Panel, however, all the files are under computer is Dell/printer/drivers..all of the files are there.   I have tried everything to remove these files and they will not go away.  

At one point I was able to see the printer under Control Panel, but I was not able to print.  I received a communication error.  Now..I have nothing

Somebody please help me...I really need to use my printer.  Thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 28th, 2009 23:00

mspatrice,

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Rin the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista machines.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

4 Posts

July 29th, 2009 16:00

Hi..thank you for your response.  However, this did not work for me.  The files still remain on my computer.  What else can I try?  Thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2009 22:00

mspatrice,

You need to disconnect the printer, run the patch as administrator, until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart, then install the proper drivers.

Make and model of your computer and operating system, please.

Rick

4 Posts

July 30th, 2009 18:00

Studio 1737, running Vista 64 bit.  I have had this computer less than 2 months.

I have done as u instructed at least 4 times.  It does not work, the files are not removed.  I run the patch, reboot and they still remain.  Is there anything else I can do short of reformatting my hard drive?  I called tech support and they say I have to pay for this because the printer is out of warranty, however the printer is not the problem, it runs perfect on two other laptops one running XP the other Vista.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 31st, 2009 01:00

mspratrice,

When I got my Studio 1737 32-bit around end of January, I had to use the Dell Factory image to re-install my system because of an error. Before you do this, make sure to have all your files and folders burned to a disk or external hard drive.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

You can try...

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Rin the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista machines.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Rick

No Events found!