Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 24th, 2005 15:00

Memory Card Manager Behavior

Hi, I have a new Dell 942 printer. It apparently has a Memory Card Manager in the software. Since installing the printer, each time I insert my Dell 128KB USB Memory Key into a USB port (not on the printer), I get a Memeory Card Manager error message saying ".....no photos found on this device." It's very annoying to get this error message every time I insert my USB Memory Key to transfer files, cause I know there're no photos on that USB Memory Key. What can I do to eliminate that error message, and have it only appear when the media readers on the printer are being used? Thanks.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2005 08:00

This also happened to me. Inside the memory card manager (the program is up and running) is an option menu. One of the options is to turn this program off so that it does not start when the computer boots up. You have to restart your computer, but not the program will not start at boot-up. You can always run the program if you use a photo memory card at a later time.

219 Posts

February 26th, 2005 16:00

I can't find an option menu. The window I get when I put my USB Memory Key in can only be closed. Right clicking on it does not open up any menu or anything.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2005 21:00

The option is after you open the memory card manager program which is listed as a program under the printer name(start, programs, printer,...). The default option appears to be load the program at startup. Unclick this option so the program won't load at startup. It is a program that has nothing to do with your memory stick other than it interfers with the stick since it thinks your trying to read a photo memory stick. Even though it is not plugged into the printer, all the usb ports appear to be affected. I have alerted Dell to this conflict, but who knows if they will fix it.

219 Posts

February 26th, 2005 22:00

Well thanks for trying, but my system isn't like yours (apparently). When I go to Start, Programs, Dell Printers, Dell Photo AIO Printer 942, I get a submenu that includes Activate Memory Card Manager. When I double click on that, I just get athe same window as I get when I insert a Memory Key, and it says Failed to locate supported file types or there are no photos found on this device. The only option is to close this window. Right clicking does nothing. Going back to the start path submenu, if I right click, I can get properties, but that doesn't offer any options regarding display or operation.

By browsing to the program files, in the Dell Printer folder, I find a memcard.exe and a memcard.hlp. When I launch memcard.exe  it opens that same window (like when I insert a USB Memeory Key). I notice that the memcard help file  says " Memory Card Manager launches when a Mass Storage Device, or memory card, is loaded in the card reader on your printer." Notice, it is supposed to just activate when the printer card reader is loaded. Well, that's not the way it's working, it activates when ANY usb port is used, and I can't figure out a way to change it. I even tried Dell tech support, What a waste of time. I got sent to 3 different technicians, with the last one telling me it was beyond her technical expertise. I wasted about 3 hours with that approach.

July 18th, 2005 19:00

I came to the forum today to find out exactly what purpose memcard.exe and dlbubmgr.exe served.  I found this post about the problem with putting in a USB key...realized I hadn't tried mine since I installed the new printer.  Tried it, got the same error mentioned in previous posts.  Also tried to find a way to change the setting to keep the program from running and got the same thing.

I guess I'll just try to disable memcard with Startup Inspector.  Anyone know what purpose dlbubmgr.exe serves?  Do I need it?

1 Message

July 7th, 2007 20:00

Shelquis, if you got fix from Dell on this long-ago problem, it didn't get posted, so disregard if this is old news.

My similar problem arose when I tried to use a couple of SanDisk USB Flash drives (Cruzer Titanium 1GB & Cruzer Mini 512MB) to transfer files to/from a borrowed Inspiron 1100/WinXP whose owner has a Dell Photo 942 AIO. Sometimes, and eventually all the time, when I tried to "safely remove..." one of these drives, Windows repeatedly told me that it was being accessed by an application. I'd give up and pull the drive out of the USB port, but subsequently when I shut down or rebooted the laptop, Windows would tell me that "memcard.exe" was not responding. I poked around and found that this program comes bundled with the Dell printer, which led me to this thread and a couple of others (see below).

Like you, I had trouble finding a way to de-Activate Memory Card Manager; in my case, I had photos on one of the drives and when I inserted it, the memory card manager window found and started displaying thumbnails. I found a menu option (Tools > Options ???) that would let me deactivate the manager, but there also was an option for something like "Ignore Removeable Disk (E:)", and I jumped on it. After pulling the drive out again and rebooting, I had no more problems with either drive causing the memory manager window to open, or with the "safely remove..." process.

Unfortunately, every time I rebooted afterward, the \Program Files\Dell\ folder opened, as described in these other threads:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=207667&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_newusers&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=35455&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen).

I also found that memcard.exe no longer started automatically after boot (couldn't find it in Windows Task Mgr); if I selected "Start > All Programs > Dell Printers > Dell Photo AIO Printer 942 > Activate Memory Card Manager", the memcard process would start, but it would be gone again after the next reboot.

Running msconfig.exe showed memcard as an enabled Startup Item, but I noticed that the actual Command string for memcard differed from the string for dlbubmgr by not having " " bookending it. I ran regedit.exe, found the Location shown by msconfig, and added the quotes. After rebooting, no folder opened, memcard process was running, and I could insert and remove the USB drives at will without causing the memory card window to open and without hanging at "safely remove...".

My conjecture is that changing the memory card manager option altered the registry entry somehow, removing the quotes, and during startup, the computer read the registry entry c:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO ... without the quotes and stopped after the word Dell. I'm not very knowledgeable about how Windows handles folder/file names these days, but long ago Win95 began the leap from contiguous 8 letter names to long names with spaces by linking the longer names to hidden short ones. Maybe the XP registry uses some mixture of both, perhaps being able to overcome the space in the \Program Files\ string but not in what comes after.

Because I borrowed this laptop for a project, I don't yet have a way of testing that it will work properly with the printer and its memory card slots, but my guess is that it will.
No Events found!