Highlighted
Crayface
Copper

My Dell Photo 964 All-In-One won't scan

Smiley SadRecently, I bought an HP Pavilion with Windows Vista.  I kept My Dell Photo 964 Printer but now it won't scan.  It use to work great.  The printer & fax still work .  I push the button on the scanner & get a preview but nothing on my monitor.  When I run the diagnostic test, it says everything is fine. I've plugged and unplugged several times but nothing seems to fix the problem.
0 Kudos
35 Replies

Re: My Dell Photo 964 All-In-One won't scan

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch. It will remove the printer completely from your computer. Restart your computer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers and firmware.

Install your printer drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Then install the firmware.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
rgtmum
Bronze

Yes, I have exactly the same problem, I have cleaned the computer, reloaded the drivers and firmware and the problem is still exactly the same.  I don't seem to be able to find the Dell Printer program on the computer and can't scan from there, on the printer I can get it to preview scan but not scan and save as a file.  I too have connected it to a new computer, Dell XPS M1530.  Any help greatly appreciated, thanks very much.
0 Kudos

If you have a 964, then follow the instructions in the above post.

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Crayface
Copper

rgtmum:

Fortunately, Pudgyone's solution worked.  I downloaded the patch and uninstalled my old driver.  I reinstalled the new driver from the website and now the scanner works.  However, if I want to scan and fax, the fax doesn't work.  It's like the computer doesn't recognize the fax part.  I don't want to redo everything again so I am able to fax from the AIO itself.  Just use it like a regular fax, put the paper on the glass and type in the number.  If you want to scan something and send, do it separately.  Hopefully, it will work itself out eventually.

0 Kudos
rgtmum
Bronze

Thanks very much for the replies, I have done as pudgyone describes but still have the same problem, I don't seem to be able to find the printer program on the computer and open it to scan, I'm either missing something or doing something wrong.  Any help appreciated, thanks very much.
0 Kudos

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch. It will remove the printer completely from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download and install the proper drivers. The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Now install the firmware.

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
rgtmum
Bronze

Thanks pudgyone for the reply.  I have done as you suggest, but I still can't get it to scan.  I don't have the All-in-one Center anywhere on my computer as far as I can see, and I can't scan from the printer either.  So I think I am at a dead end, I guess.  I can still use the printer for copying, faxing and printing.  Thanks again,
0 Kudos

Let's clear up the information first. Since you didn't create your own post, it can sometimes get confusing.

You have a new Dell XPS M1530. XP or Vista? 32-bit or 64-bit? 32 is normal 64-bit is special. So there are drivers for the 964, which I hope is the printer you're using, and can be installed on 2000, XP and Vista 32-bit only.

How are you connect to the printer? USB connection or using a Dell wireless print adapter 3300 or a print server with your wireless router?

If using a wireless router, make and model and type of security you're using.

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
rgtmum
Bronze

Thanks for the reply, I am using Vista Home Premium 32 bit, my printer is a Dell AIO Photo 964 and I am using the USB cable.  I hope this helps, thanks very much.
0 Kudos