Highlighted

Need OCR Software for a A960 All-in-One Printer System

I no longer have the software disk for the A960 all in one system that I purchased from Dell in 03. 

When I try to scan a document into any software except for Adobe Photoshop, I get the error:  "An OCR application is provided for you on your CD in the OCR directory.  Select 'OK' to cancel this operation, install your OCR software and try again." 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers I downloaded from Dell.com but this did not fix the problem.
Please let me know where I can get the OCR software, I need to be able to use this function tonight.
0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: Need OCR Software for a A960 All-in-One Printer System

Re-installing the drivers this way usually brings back everything, including the Dell All-In-One Center.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

If you're using Vista, you need to follow these additional instructions.

If you have the printer disk, double click my computer. Go to the drive with the Dellxxx disk and right click on it, left click explore. Go to the OCR folder and double click on it. Go to setup.exe and double click on it. This will install the OCR Program.

Or

Try Simple OCR

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos

Did all that yesterday... next suggstion?

XP OS.

0 Kudos

Any error messages, printer did not install?

Did you try

Try Simple OCR?

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos

No errors, printer works fine.  Tried Free OCR, but Printer's scanning software doesn't recognze it... tells me I need the software off the CD.
0 Kudos

You have the Dell All-In-One Center, correct?

If so, Open it, click on scanning and copying, click on update the list of applications to send scans to, locate the free OCR Program and add it to the list as well as any other programs you want to use.

Also read this.

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos

Is the scanning software part of the Driver package?  Or, separate?  If separate, where do I find it?  I cannot find the original CD with the scanning software.

thanks!

0 Kudos

techiegirl09,

The OCR Program is a part of the printer disk. Because of royalties, it cannot be downloaded. You can try using Simple OCR and scan from that.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos

I checked out the Simple OCR url.  The product description says it "converting scanned images" -- does it scan as well as convert?  I need the scanning component -- OCR is icing on the cake and not an immediate requirement.

Thanks for your assistance. 

0 Kudos

techiegirl09,

If you want to scan to Microsoft Word, or similar program, then you'll need an OCR Program. If scanning photos as an image, then an OCR Program is NOT needed.

does it scan as well as convert? 

Yes this scans and converts.

More about Optical Character Recognition

Also try reading Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos