Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2009 11:00

New Printer, New Laptop, printer won't print

ReederHouse here again.  I cannot print off of my new laptop (Dell Studio 1536 running Vista home).  I have tried to install 2 printers on this computer, no luck.  The current printer is new, just bought it.  It's a Epson Stylus NX400.   I have spent many hours on the phone with tech support, no luck.  I have run the "Drivers and Utilities" disc that came with my computer.  It said they installed properly.  I have reinstalled the driver for the epson, also no luck.   The printer will print a self test page on its own, but will not print a test page when I click "Print Test Page" on the computer.  The test page will go to the queue, then leave queue, as if it was printed, but it is not.  Computer recognizes that printer is attached. It is connected via usb cord. I am once again at the end of my technical rope in desparate need of help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 29th, 2009 10:00

reederhouse,

Maybe this article will help.

Dell Studio™ 1536 Is Unable to Print Documents

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2009 13:00

reederhouse,

I have a few questions for you. Please stick with this post and you can reply here. Since I don't know exactly what you did or did not do, maybe we should start with a completely repaired system. Also, how long did you own your Studio 1535 and is it under warranty?

Do you have the Operating system disks that came with the computer? if no, then request a set by clicking below my post. If yes, then let's try a system repair of your system.

Insert the operating system disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from cd

Choose install

Do the agreement

Now choose repair

Let it do it's thing. Takes about 30 minutes.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Now go to Windows Updates and get all the updates. I have the custom updates too. Especially the net framework needed to run most applications. Also make sure to get the latest Java.

Now try installing the proper printer drivers from Epson's Website. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on). Also try Epson's troubleshooting guide if you have problems.

What happens now?

Rick

January 14th, 2009 19:00

One question before I do this: Will this erase the things I have on the computer now?  (Doc's, video's, music, etc)

I have had the laptop for 2 weeks.  I bought it from Walmart.  When I enter the service tag, the info says it was shipped in Sept of this year, and that the warranty is out.  Even though I just bought it, I guess that doesn't matter because it was shipped a few months earlier.  

I haven't done anything that I know of to mess the computer up.

As soon as I got it, I tried to install my previous HP printer on the computer.  I had to download the new software for Vista for it.  After I did that, that printer wouldn't work, so thus began my hours and hours of tech support over the phone, with no luck.  So, I went and bought this new printer, and, it wouldn't print either.  

I have the discs.  Just need to know if I need to save the stuff on the computer before I do this restore.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2009 20:00

reederhouse,

Let me say this. I have done this with my Dell laptop a few times and never lost a file or folder, just Windows Updates.

Also let me say, if your computer fails you today, would you be able to retreive your files and folders. It should is a good practice to make backup copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. If my computer hard drive failed and yes the do but mostly over time, I have my files and folders burned to disks, so I could install a new hard drive, re-install the operating system and then add my files and folders with no problems.

Rick

January 29th, 2009 10:00

I tried to repair from the cd, it said no problems were detected to repair.   Then I did an upgrade from the cd, it took about 3 hours, and i dont think anything changed.  I tried to uninstall the epson printer and it tells me "cannot uninstall driver"  So that means it wont let me reinstall it.  Any ideas?

January 29th, 2009 11:00

This fixed my problem!!! Thank you! I couldn't have done it without you.

February 9th, 2009 04:00

I am having the exact same problem.  I bought my Dell 1536 over the Christmas holidays and just began using it the first week of January 2009.  We installed HP Deskjet 5500 drivers onto the computer and it wouldn't print.  Since we had several other computers in the house and school wasn't back in yet (which is the key reason we need to print from the laptop), we didn't worry too much about it, though.

Two weeks ago, I tried again to load the drivers and it still wouldn't work.  Then tried it with an Epson printer we have.  Contacted Dell Support, and they wouldn't even talk to me about it since the printers weren't Dell.  Fortunately, I have access to a Dell 926 (still wouldn't work), so now Dell support would talk to me.   

After 7 1/2 hours on the line with Dell customer support (who were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, even though my issue was not resolved), going from laptop support to printer support, etc., I was told to contact the people at Dell who I could pay $253 to have fix my problem.  To say the least, I was a big upset.  When I complained to the software support tech guy that it seemed that wasn't fair, he said that's what I get for not purchasing a software support agreement.

I have reimaged my computer now three times to the factory setting and Dell customer support has tried everything in their bag of tricks to get the laptop to print.  (delete driver, reinstall, turn on/off firewalls, absolutely everything I have seen on the net as possible solutions.)

I brought the laptop back to Staples to see if I could return it, but they have a 2 week return policy, so I was told to contact Staples support since I'd purchased a $150 support contract with them.  I was assured by the manager at Staples that they could help me.  Well, after two hours on the phone with their guy, I found out that the Dell people in Indian are much better trained at fixing problems.  I appreciate that they are trying to keep jobs in America, though.

So now I have spent at least 10 hours (not including the time it's taken me to type this and all the hours of surfing the net to find solutions) to fix a problem that should not have existed in the first place.  Unless I come up with a solution soon, I will then get to spend countless more hours writing letters to Dell and Staples and whomever else I can think of to complain and try and find a solution.

If ANYONE has any idea on how to resolve this, please post here.  I will continue to check back and try whatever is new.

No Events found!