Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 07:00

P1500 printer on new Windows 7 machine

I know that the P1500 is listed as not compatible with Windows 7. However, I was able to sucessfully use the Lexmark Universal Driver to be able to print from the computer that is directly connected the the printer. But, when I try to connect to this funcitoning printer via the wireless network I can as far as installing the drivers on the latop and I get a general error message that the install failed 0x0x0cc .. or something that looks like that.

Is this hopeless? Would my laptop that is Vista possibly work? Would a Printer server solve this issue by bypassing the Windows 7 operating system on the new PC all together?

I would hate to have to scrap a perfectly good printer becaues I can't print on the network.

Does Dell ever plan to release drivers to have this work on Windows 7 as they did for Vista?

Any info would be great!

Thanks.

Chief

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 8th, 2010 13:00

Cheif,

I usually let llynster respond to the laser printers but I was a little curious. I usually take care of the inkjet printers and have gotten quite a few working that were on the not compatible list with Windows 7.

Try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. Windows 7 is supposed to ba backward compatible.

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

2 Posts

February 7th, 2010 05:00

I have been having the same problem as Chief with the P1500. I have the p1500 connected to a Dell desktop running WinXP connected to a Linksys router.   I can disconnect the P1500 from the DT and connect it to a new Win 7 Dell Laptop and it seems to print fine.  When I connect the P1500 back to the DT and try to add the printer to the laptop I get and error that the .inf file cannot be found.  I've downloaded the Dell P1500 and ran Lexmark drivers but cannot find any inf files that will allow me to add the printer.  I have added the new laptop to the workgroup that the DT belongs to and can see the p1500 but can't seem to find a way to add the P1500 as an option on the Win7 laptop.  Thanks for any hel you can offer.  I've been pulling my hair out and have very little left;) 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2010 12:00

ipsguy7876,

I was told this works both ways.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Also make sure the network workgroups are the same. XP default is MSHOME and Vista/Windows 7 is WORKGROUP.

Rick

2 Posts

February 7th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for the link.  Reading through the comments I found these instructions and it seems to be working fine.  Have a great day!

Barkdust45

This is easier — at least for me and it worked. The shared printer is attached to a Win 7 x64 box and the XP is x86. Credit Jimbo45 at sevenfourms:

I’ve posted on this before but to share Printers attached to XP computers with either X-64 or X-32 versions of Windows 7 is SIMPLE. These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

(”Stand alone” Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared – assume it’s called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can “See” the Printer share.

Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn’t matter if it’s X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it’s on a Network but hold your horses — what we are actually doing is “Poodlefaking” the Windows 7 machine into thinking it’s running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you’ll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

(For a “Network stand alone printer”) at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address.

If the printer is on the Windows 7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine —
port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2010 13:00

ipsguy7876,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

December 17th, 2010 08:00

ipsguy7876.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your fix for the Dell P1500/Windows 7 network problem.  It was driving me batty and your fix worked perfectly.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2011 19:00

I have the same problem with H P psc 1500  I am not able to download because I keep getting error on my window 7 and nothing I seem to do make it compatible

1 Message

August 7th, 2012 09:00

I found that installing Soluto solved many problem on my computer and my Dell p1500 printing on Windows - 7, 64bit. So give it a try and see if it works for you wireless network!!!

I also use KingSoft PC Doctor to help accelerate my computer's start up. 

1 Message

September 25th, 2012 23:00

When I tried it with the printer attatched to the Windows 7 machine; it says 'Access Denied' or 'The server cannot perform the requested operation' when I put in the \\windows7\printer name or \\windows7ip\printer name. Windows 7 doesn't let you add the driver as x86 for some reason.

No Events found!