Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 11th, 2009 11:00

Photoconductor kit3 error

The error reads:  The printer has stopped because the photoconductor kit3 has reached the end of its useful life.  Please replace the photoconductor kit to prevent printer damage and continue printing.

I have a Dell 1710.  I have changed the toner and the drum several times and still the same issue. Can someone tell me what to do?

1 Message

November 9th, 2009 09:00

I'm having the exact same problem.  I have several 1720dn printers.  I just started getting this message.  I've also changed out the toner cartridge and drum, but with no luck fixing the error.  What did you do to solve your problem?  Thanks!

1 Message

December 18th, 2009 12:00

I'm have the same problem, with a 1710 printer.  Can you tell me if/how your problem was resolved?

Thanks!

Ruth Vesely

1.7K Posts

December 18th, 2009 18:00

Hi Ruth,

The replacement Photo-conductor drum should have come with instructions on how to reset the drum counter in the printer. In case you misplaced (or, didn't get them), here's the instructions:

1. Power off the printer
2. Open the front door
3. Press and continue to hold the Cancel button
4. Power on the printer
5. Cancel button may be released ONLY after all lights flash in sequence
6. Close the front door

Hope this helps.

29 Posts

August 21st, 2010 13:00

I have a Dell 1710 with the same problem.    I replaced the drum with a brand new one and followed all of the instructions above.  The "Toner Low" light and "Error" light are both still on.  I also tried the instructions below which are posted numerous places on the internet.  No luck - both lights are still on.  

Reset Drum Counter the Dell 1700 printers.

1. Open the front door of the printer.
  2. Hold the Continue button down, power on the printer, continue to hold down the Continue button until just the Error LED is on solid, then release the Continue button.
  3. Close the front door.
    The Continue button, Ready/Data, Toner Low, and Load Paper LEDs should all be lit.
  4. Wait for the printer to complete its POST process.
    This is completed once the printer begins emitting a fan noise and the rollers start, then stop.
  5. Press the Cancel button four times slowly until the Toner Low LED is lit.

(When pressing the cancel button slowly the individual light should come on only, not all of them cycling through. If each light does not come on slowly you are holding the cancel button to long. After the 4th time the toner low LED should be the only light.)

6. Press and hold the Continue button until the LEDs all begin to rapidly cycle up / down in sequence, then release the Continue button.
    The Toner Low LED is the only one on.
  7. Cycle the power on the printer.
  8. When the printer is Ready, press the Continue button once to print a settings page.
  9. Under the heading Cartridge Information, verify the Photoconductor value is 0K (zero-K).

Turn off the power using the switch on the back of the printer.

What else can I try?  Are there any other reset  methods?  Anyone have any suggestions or fixes?  Thanks very much in advance!

1 Message

December 16th, 2010 20:00

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same problem.

1 Message

January 7th, 2012 11:00

Still having the same problem. The toner and error lights are flashing on and off. Nothing happens when I hold the continue button, same wth cancel button.

1 Message

March 28th, 2012 15:00

i bought a new printer - too much aggravation

2 Posts

April 24th, 2012 07:00

A direct link to Replacing the photoconductor. 

To cut through all of that information......

If you need to reset the counter:

1. Remove drum kit with toner

2. Make sure all print jobs are flushed otherwise whatever has been sent and not printed will come spewing out.

3. Hold down CANCEL Button until all lights flash through.

4. Slide the drum kit and toner properly into the Printer.

done.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2012 07:00

A direct link to Replacing the photoconductor. 

To cut through all of that information......

If you need to reset the counter:

1. Remove drum kit with toner

2. Make sure all print jobs are flushed otherwise whatever has been sent and not printed will come spewing out.

3. Hold down CANCEL Button until all lights flash through.

4. Slide the drum kit and toner properly into the Printer.

done.

No Events found!