Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2010 09:00

Printer Jamming!!!!

Hi,

I have a Dell 1720 and it continues to jam.

I can't tell if it's the paper tray or if I need to add some type of lube to the roller balls?

Can someone please advise because this is happening all the time and wasting tons of paper.

If there is a specific product I can purchase if you think it's the roller balls I'd appreciate a link, thank you!

19 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 09:00

When trying to troubleshoot this unit:

Swap known good paper tray, drum, toner, and feed tires. If the jamming still occurs the printer is needing some work (possible replacement).

Where is the paper jamming at exactly?

Is the paper being damaged when the printer jams?

August 2nd, 2010 16:00

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I have a brand new drum, have used all types of paper and experienced the same issue, not sure how to swap feed tires?

the paper is being damaged in that it's crumpled and can't be used for printing. There's not a liquid to moisten the wheels? thx

19 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 09:00

To swap the feed tires and invert inside out:

Please use caution when performing these tasks as I cannot be responsible for damaging the unit when trying this; I only give this advice out based on experiences.

We will need to power the unit off, unplug the power cord from the unit, remove the paper tray, then place the unit on its butt. Then you will see a plastic looking 'T' in the middle of the printer that can be moved in a outward fashion towards you - you can then remove each tire, turn them inside out and place them back on the feed wheels to test to see if the noise and jam goes away.

If the rubber tires on the wheels aredamaged (dried out) the rubber tires will need to be replaced if inverting the tires inside out does resolve the jamming issue.

If the paper jam light is coming on with the printer jams, press the continue button twice - this will give a secondary error code sequence. Please write this down if the above does not help out; this error code will help identify where the paper is stop.

October 21st, 2010 04:00

When trying to troubleshoot this unit:

Swap known good paper tray, drum, toner, and feed tires. If the jamming still occurs the printer is needing some work (possible replacement).

Where is the paper jamming at exactly?

Is the paper being damaged when the printer jams?

Where is its documentation? Could you give more explanation on it? I just start to learn it, Thanks very much!

20.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2010 06:00

What type of documentation are you looking for?

3 Posts

May 10th, 2011 17:00

Our school has three, of the 10 17xx printers we have, now starting to click and misfeed.  We also have some Brother printers which are still printing and are 8 years old.  We have some newer Brother printers starting to make clicking noises.

Sad commentary on the state of technology companies.  What happened to the "company phylosophy" where a company improves on issues with a design, and Don't make a new design just for the sake of having something "new".  If Brother still had the same model printer as the ones we have still working, our school would ONLY have them. 

9 Posts

May 29th, 2014 17:00

Been using it for ten years.  Every sheet jammed within one second of starting to load.  I tried mardwal's method, to no avail.  I put the rollers back the way they were.  I removed the tray and the cartridge/drum assembly, took the body outside and sprayed in and out with compressed air.  Tons of  Substitute character removed as per TOU> came flying out.  Then I cleaned all surfaces with vinegar/water solution.  Functions fine now.  It was just filthy dirty.

No Events found!