Akira3kgt
1 Nickel

Printer help

I am using a Vostro 200 w/ Vista. I decided to use my old A920  from a previous setup instead of the new printer that came with the Vostro. The problem is that when i try to print something it says the printer can't communicate. I tried the troubleshooting steps that it recommends. I would like to uninstall the A920 and reinstall to try and fix the problem. Well now i can't find how to uninstall. It doesn't show up under programs list in the control panel. And when i go through Start>Programs>Dell Printers>Dell A920 there is no uninstall option. When i put in the disk for the printer there is also no uninstall option only an update the driver option. I have uninstalled the new V305 that came with the vostro. Under printers in the control panel it does say the A920 is online and ready. Previously only the buttons on the printer would not work (like copy and scan) but now it won't even print documents from word.  I am out of ideas so i turn to the experts.....Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Printer help

Akira3kgt,

Follow the instructions as I have them below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(run as administrator), a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Akira3kgt
1 Nickel

Nice work. It all works perfectly now. You da man Pudgyone

0 Kudos

Akira3kgt,

GREAT JOB! Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos