Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 8th, 2012 13:00

Printer setup with Inspiron 9300

This laptop is about 6 years old and I have never had a printer.  It has windows XP installed.

My dad gave me a dell printer 924 with a disc containing the drivers.

I followed the setup wizard but came up with a compatibility problem I think. The fax facility was installed (no use to me), but no

printer recognition.  My warranty expired long ago and I am not very good on the hardware side of things.  Is this laptop and printer compatible?

When I went into driver downloads it looks like a minefield to me.  It also seems to refer only to windows 7 even though my dad was using XP.

I would be grateful if someone could give me a simple step by step solution please

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 8th, 2012 13:00

The XP driver is here:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Attempt to install it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

JohnL28,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

Rick Windows XP not Vista or 7.

This laptop is about 6 years old and I have never had a printer.  It has windows XP installed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 16:00

natakuc4,

Thanks for correcting that.

Member should still run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts them to restart their computer. Patch can be found in the owners thread.

Restart the computer.

Install the drivers you listed above.

Rick

No Events found!