Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2010 04:00

Printer spooler will not start Error 1053

Hi,

I have had a Lexmark X4550 printer installed on my Windows 7 x64 inspiron for a few months now. Yeterday the printer wouldn't print which has never happened before. When I went into devices it said there was a problem with the printer and it needed troubleshooting. The troubleshooter couldn't find a solution. I found some suggested fixes online and have tried them all without success. I did however discover that the Printer Spooler was stopped. When I tried to restart it from services it came up with an error that said:-  

Windows could not start the printer spooler service on local computer 

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner.

I have checked that it is set to run automatically, and when I checked the dependancies I discovered that remote procedure call was stopped and set to manual. I reset it to automatic and started it sucessfully. This did not fix the printer spooler error however.

I have uninstalled the lexmark software and tried to remove the printer driver - this didn't help either.

I have also tried the following:-

Open a Command Prompt window

key the command;
       sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

restart the print spooler 

This also didnt help.

I tried clearing the print list from the spool folder but there was nothing in it.

I'm totally out of ideas now, any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I believe that Windows had a fix for this issue on XP and Vista but I cant find one for windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

27 Posts

May 11th, 2010 10:00

James, (and everyone who has contributed so far),

I have found this offering on the Microsoft Answers website forum.  It is by a guy called encro.

Let me know if it works, I haven't access to a printer at the moment.  I would be most interested in your results whether successful or not.

The fix: Getting the spooler to start!

This seems to be a very common issue on Windows 7 caused by a recent "Important" update within the late March/early April period. I discovered the fix for this while working on a clients machine and noticed something abnormal in that the Print Spooler wasn't actually the Print Spooler anymore which is why it wouldn't start. Now that our team have fixed just under 20 machines using this process I'm pretty confident it is the workaround solution until a future WSUS update corrects this properly. This is still speculation at this stage since so far logfiles haven't really provided much help in troubleshooting this further and it may be unrelated to a KB from Windows Update.

I'm still trying to determine the actual update from Windows Update that caused the issue to notify Microsoft of the bug however the problem goes something like this:

Determining if this is the cause on your computer.

Check in %windir%\system32 (C:\Windows\System32) for the existence of spoolsv.exe.org and spoolsv.exe

If they both exist then it is likely the following issue.

Compare the file size of spoolsv.exe

Sometimes the real spoolsv.exe will be named spoolsv.exe.org [545KB] and in the place of spoolsv.exe place will actually be a 41KB file posing as the print spooler. I'm guessing the system backed up the original spooler at some point and replaced it accidently with something else. spoolsv.exe should be the 545KB file at this stage.

Correcting the problem

Step 1: Rename spoolsv.exe to spoolsv.bak

Step 2: Rename spoolsv.exe.org to spoolsv.exe

Renaming spoolsv.exe.org here is a little more tricky as it requires changing the file ownership from TrustedInstaller to the Administrator Group and giving the group full write permissions for the file. This likely has security implications so it's recommended to revert the permissions after the file is renamed.

By changing the Ownership of the file from TrustedInstaller to Administrator then enabling Full Modify for the Administrator Group you can swap the files over by renaming and correct this issue.

I usually rename spoolsv.exe to spoolsv.bak and then rename spoolsv.exe.org to become the actual spoolsv.exe.

Step 3:

Start the print spooler via Services (services.msc) or at the command prompt using net start spooler.

Instant <3 from the Spooler and a major headache for many people finally fixed :)

27 Posts

May 26th, 2010 11:00

Hi James,

At last I have gotten round to carrying out the fix Encro gave us.

It seems to have done the trick, although I haven't tried my printer out yet.

I had the same difficulties with ownerships as you, so I did the same as you suggested.

I didn't have to restart the Spooler as such, because when I went in through the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services it was already started.  This probably because I had the start up set to automatic.

I hope everything runs smoothly now, but can let me know if you have anymore problems , I am suspicious that it may occur again.

Thanks for your help mate!

By the way, I have posted this extra bit elsewhere on different forums but as yet I have had no reply.

Because the thread (on Microsoft Answers) has become very long and there is a lot of useful information in it, I wanted to print it out.  Of course I couldn't do this whilst I had my Spooler problems, so I sent the link to my wife's computer and logged on there.  I tried to print the thread out in its entirety, but only the first page would show, (all the rest were blank apart from the header and footer).

When I print previewed, the same thing happened.  It's as though it can only see the first page, (and it is about 9 pages long now at least!)

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 30th, 2010 12:00

jamesy3000,

A couple of things to try.

First thing to to run Delete Print Jobs, this will clear out any print jobs and restart the print spooler. I don't think this will solve the issue, so here's something else to try.

Make sure you have the latest Java Download Latest Java

I would try disconnecting the printer, then uninstall the printer. I would use start, control panel, programs and features. You could also use start, all programs lexmark, your printer and use the uninstaller there.

Restart your computer.

Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Go to Lexmark's Website for the drivers. I would download the     Driver for Windows XP 64bit, Vista 64bit for the Lexmark X4550 Printer. After you download the drivers from Lexmark's Website, then try installing the drivers in the compatibility mode. You could try the Vista or the XP compatibility mode. Since the drivers work for both, you might want to try Vista first and if it doesn't work, remove the printer, restart the computer and try again with the XP compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Keep the printer disconnected. Install the drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on) Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

This work well for Dell's Inkjet Printers. Dell's Inkjet Printers were made for Dell by Lexmark.

Let me know how you make out.

Rick 

5 Posts

April 14th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

I have tried all the steps you suggested but still can't get the printer spooler to start. I'm still getting the same failed to start error. Now I'm also getting another error from the print spooler saying .Also after uninstalling the Lexmark drivers I cannot reinstall Win 7 or Vista drivers, they all require the printer spool to be functioning before they will install.

From what Ive read online it would seem that a large number of people are having this issue with Windows 7 and no one seems to have found a fix for it. Might be time to bite the bullet and format my laptop and just start  from scratch.

Unless somebody knows of an actual fix for this problem.

Cheers

James

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 16th, 2010 16:00

James,

Since no one know much about these error codes, I would suggest that you try posting in the Windows 7 Forum.

Rick

27 Posts

April 29th, 2010 11:00

Hello James,

I too am having the same problems as yourself.

Our Epson, which I had only just successfully managed to connect up to our wireless network at home, after a bloody long battle, packed in.

We packed it up and it is ready to go to the repair centre under warranty.

We got the old HP Officejet 7310 down from the loft and my wife carried on using that via USB.  My laptop was further away so I didn't bother with the printer, I just sent her what I needed printing on the odd occasion via email.

I had a feeling that I was going to have problems because although I hadn't uninstalled it, the Epson was now "decommissioned", I started getting messages on start up saying it couldn't find the drivers for the Epson.  I disregarded it because the printer was out of use anyway.

I have now come to install the drivers for the HP.  Nearly 2 hours to download the drivers for the Windows 7 version!  The CDROM was the old XP version.

When I tried the installation I got the same problems as you.  I contacted HP first, but they said it was an operating system fault and passed me back to Dell, who don't want to know unless I feed them £69.00 to have a look!

I can't afford this.  I only bought the computer from Dell at a cost of £650 two months ago.  They will only support the hardware.  The hardware won't work without the software and they won't support that unless you pay more money, which i can't afford on my meagre pension.  I find it quite appalling frankly!  So much for Dell service!

Anyway, have you found a solution yet?

I would be most interested.

27 Posts

May 4th, 2010 10:00

I have been trying to chase a solution to this for several days now and not really getting anywhere.

I am a home user and a pensioner.  I spent all my readies (£650) on the new computer and none left for paid support.  Nobody seems to be willing to help unless you give them a substantial amount of money.  Even then it doesn't guarantee the errors will not return as they are most obviously inherrent bugs in Windows 7.

I have phoned MS Tech support today and they have given me a website address to use.

www.support.microsoft.com/ukget

Unfortunately it doesn't work!  I phoned back to check if I had heard them correctly (and I had!), and when I told them I couldn't get to the website, (i.e. the link didn't work), they said that were issues with the site and that I would have to wait an indeterminate period for it to get up and running.

I am fast losing confidence in Microsoft - does anything of theirs actually work and can you rely on it?

Just out of interest, when I was unsure of what I was typing into my URL initially, I entered this:

www.support.microsoftsupport.com

I got a website offering error code fixes!  My eyes lit up but were quicly extinguished when I tried to download the first link - I got an alert from my McAfee Virus/Spyware!

Anybody else got anything useful? 

5 Posts

May 5th, 2010 01:00

I've tried everything except formatting my computer and starting again. I don't know why Microsoft don't have an actual fix for this, they just refer you back to Dell. You've only got to type Print Spooler into google to find about 1000+ posts of people with the same issue. As yet I havent found a thing that works.

I've seen both your posts on the windows 7 forum and it doesn't look like you had much luck there either. When I've finished doing my format I'll let you know how it went and if the problem goes away. As no one seems to know why it happens I don't have much faith in this being a permanent solution...

27 Posts

May 5th, 2010 02:00

Hi James,

I have to say I have difficulty finding my recent posts and replies on these forums, I end up marking them as favourites so that i can back to them.

There doesn't seem to be an option where you can review your own posts and replies within any of the forums, (like there is say in Yahoo Answers).

I am hanging on waiting to see for the moment.  My printer need is not that urgent although it has to come, it is inevitable!

With so many posts about this problem, I cannot understand why MS haven't offered anything, it is obviously a an inherrent bug, i.e. a fault in the operating system, which the responsibility lies firmly at the door of Bill Gates.. It should not be upto us to start paying for ssupport when it is clearly MS' fault.

Have you tried a system restore?  I have been reading Andy Rathbone's "Windows 7 for Dummies" and he makes it all sound very straight forward, although he hasn't provided any insight into these errors.

I have managed to email him and actually got a reply asking for more information.  I've sent him more but no answer yet.

It is worrying, and it does get to you.  If you are like me, you want everything running perfect and if anything goes wrong, you don't just want it fixing you want to know why it has happened and is there any chance of it happening again.  Having only bought this all singing and dancing computer (from Dell I might add), at the princely sum of £650, I expect everything to be working properly at 100%.

If you do get anymore information please let me know.  It might be an idea if there is a growing number of us to formally exchange email addresses rather than go through the forums - what do you think? 

5 Posts

May 12th, 2010 04:00

Barneyboy48 you are a legend - that fix worked a charm. My print spooler is up and running at last!!

I changed the original spoolsv.exe to spoolsv.bak as you said but I couldn't change the permissions for the spoolsv.exe.org file and it wouldn't let me edit it so I copied it to another location and changed the name there, then pasted it back into system32 as spoolsv.exe. That .org file is still in system32 though, not sure if it'll affect anything. The main thing is that the print spooler restarted without error.

I can confirm to everyone else on here that the fix worked for me and may well sort everyones problem. Definately give it a go.

Thanks again Barneyboy48!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2010 05:00

jamesy3000,

If this works, Then could you mark as answer Barneyboy48's post. I will then add this to the forum stickie. This way if other members have the same problem, I will link this thread to the members so they can see what you did to get this working.

Thanks to jamesy3000 and Barneyboy48 for this great find.

Take care,

Rick

27 Posts

May 12th, 2010 11:00

I am not the legend - I cannot take the credit for this!

I do not know one end of a computer from the other!

I will however pass on your praise to encro.  He/she is the legend!

I would be very interested in every detail - I will go through the procedure just as soon as the Epson comes back, so because I don't know one end of a computer from the other, I shall be relying on you and the others to get me through!

So glad we have found something that works at last!

27 Posts

May 13th, 2010 03:00

Hi James,

Will you do me a favour?

After reading your post again, I understand that you still have a minor concern about the .org file.

How do you feel about posting this report of yours, (reworded of course, because as I have stated, Encro has come up with this solution - I do not deserve any credit for that), on the Microsoft Answers forum in a response to Encro's fix.

He may be able to tell us how to clean things up and also answer any of your questions about possible affects of the .org file still residing in System32 and what to do about it.

I feel that since you have gone through the exercise already, it would be better coming from you.

My printer is still down so I'm not going to start anything that I can't see through yet.

Here's the link to the area of the forum, if you scroll around you'll find me and encro:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/78fa30f1-78d0-408c-b9d9-3a3584728c41/

27 Posts

May 13th, 2010 10:00

Hi James,

Your post on MS Answers is noted!

Lets wait and see what our friend Encro comes up with!  Truly he/she is our best hope and well worth hanging on to the shirt tails of!  I hope he/she doesn't mind.

Hopefully our systems will be as good as new soon.

Did you read his earlier posting as to the reason why it happened in the first place, (and did you understand it)?

I would like to understand this in the very likely event that it may go awry again and is always better to understand the cause and effect in my opinion, rather than to just blithly apply the fix, don't you agree?

Cheers! 

27 Posts

May 14th, 2010 06:00

Hi James,

I've had a notification this morning of someone else who is having problems.  It came through on MS Answers from someone calling themselves "lizaveta".

This is the gist of it:

Hello,  I ran into the same problem a couple of days ago. Now I am dead in the water unable to print anything.  Uninstalled the printer HP Lasejet 1018, I don't have any traces of it.  Check System 32 folder.  I have spoolsv.exe 545 KB  in System 32 folder and spoolsv.exe.mui 2kb in size in System 32.en-us folder.  Could you please recommend what to do next.  It looks like I have the right spoolsv.exe but I am still getting the spooler error when trying to install the printer over again.

Thanks.

Does this ring any alarm bells with you.

No response from encro yet - he might be on his holidays!

No Events found!