Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2009 07:00

Replaced Dell 968 AIO printer with refurbished black ink cartridge, but printer still staying "ink low"?

I replaced the Dell 968 AIO printer with a refurbished black ink cartridge. The printer alignment page printed correctly. But the printer still says "ink low" for the black ink. I think this is not allowing me to print documents sent from the computer. I even restarted the printer (turned it off and on). I tried restarting the computer. I tried resinstalling the printer driver. I checked the Dell All-In-One Printer menu but did not see an option to reset the printer ink setting. I tried resetting the printer defaults on the printer itself, that did not do anything. How can I reset the printer "ink low" when I know it has enough black ink to print? Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2009 13:00

kalliejohl,

There is no way to reset the error message. I have seen other members live with the low ink error message and keep a spare for when the print quality gets bad, then they replace the cartridge(s).

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

4 Posts

December 7th, 2009 14:00

Thank you, Rick.

In the future, I will just purchase Dell ink cartridges and just find the best price on them. That is very helpful.

When I had replaced the ink cartridge, that was when I started to have problems printing my documents from Microsoft Word. I don't know if the two issues are related, but do you think it is possible that the "low ink" is the reason why I am having trouble printing? I even tried to resintall the printer drivers and am still having trouble. Not able to print with the printer right now.

Kallie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2009 15:00

Kallie,

I'd bet the sensor in the replaced cartridges are the culprit. I usually order my Dell Series ink cartridges from Dell but I had an emergency and had to purchase one from Walmart. Staples has them too, just depends on how quickly you need the printer. Ours is mostly for homework.

Rick

4 Posts

December 11th, 2009 06:00

Rick,

Thank you very much for your help. You were absolutely right. As soon as I replaced the ink cartridge with a new one purchased directly from Dell, then the printer started working fine again. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with my technical issue with my Dell printer.And since I work from home, it was important for me to be able to print at home along with the kids being able to print their homework. I did order a new Dell color laserjet printer so the ink will last longer and print faster. And the Dell 968 can just be used as a back up and for faxing.

Kallie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 11th, 2009 07:00

Kallie,

I have a Dell 964 Printer. It's attached to a 3300 wireles print adapter. I mostly use my printer for homework. If I need Photos printed, I usually upload them at a local place and have them print my Photos.

As for the laser, PLEASE remember to use Dell Toner in them as I have learned that using a different brand can cause damage to them. If you have any problems with the laser printer, then post back in a new thread at Dell Printers Forum and the person that has GREAT knowledge about lasers will be able to help you.

Parts and ink for Dell Printers.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!