Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2003 22:00

Resetting ink gauge

I have installed new Dell black and color cartridges but the ink gauges show empty. How are they reset? Have never seen this addressed.

December 29th, 2003 15:00

tburdsal,

Thank you for visiting the Dell Community Forum.

You should not have to do anything to reset the ink gauges. Make sure the ink cartridges are properly installed and if so, try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software/drivers and see if the ink level is then displayed properly.

9 Posts

December 29th, 2003 16:00

I notice that the "on screen" instructions indicate that the black ink should be in the right holder and the color in the left. However, the blue holder for the color cartridge is actually on the right and the black on the left and it works perfectly, except the ink level gauge for both, shows empty and won't reset. 

December 30th, 2003 14:00

tburdsal,

Thank you for visiting the Dell Community Forum.

You may want to double check your cartridge installation, the color cartridge should be installed in the left carrier and the black ink should be installed in the right carrier (looking from the front of the printer).

1 Message

December 31st, 2003 17:00

I seem to have the same problem...my color cartridge is on the right and my black cartridge is on the left, looking at the printer.  Both work fine but I can't clear the "out of ink" message and I am sure I am changing cartridges that are not empty.  Your cartridges cost way too much to be wasting them like this.  HOW DO I CLEAR THE MESSAGE SO THE INK GAUGE WORKS PROPERLY???

9 Posts

January 3rd, 2004 19:00

Now I find that I actually have a A940 printer. Does this make any difference in the responses I have received for the A920? Have removed and reinstalled the printer software but do have the color cartridge in the right and black in the left slots to be compatable with the color coding on the cartridges. Works fine but still no reset on the gauges for ink level.

Should I reverse the cartridge locations?

Does anyone wonder why we must go on this forum for answers rather than to get them directly from Dell? Where does this moderator come into the picture and is he/she an employee of Dell or just another stumbler giving their opinion? 

January 5th, 2004 19:00

tburdsal,

If you have an A940, you don’t need to swap the cartridge location, but the installation procedure is a little different as there are some printer control panel settings that you need to set when you install a new cartridge. You can find information on installing the ink cartridges for the A940 on page 39 of the A940 Owner's Manual which is available in PDF format at the following web address:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/a940/a940en1.pdf

Using these instructions remove and reinstall the cartridges and select the option for new ink cartridges to see if that makes any difference.

No Events found!