Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 16:00

Scan to SSL is ESSENTIAL!!!! Dell xx65 series (and all other versions of the new generation) need this in their firmware now.

The firmware of the new series of printers is woefully under-prepared for cloud based email services used by medium and small business. Dell's latest line of printers are MISSING essential support in the Scan-to-Email service via SSL email systems. Without this vital capability, the new MFP line looks like a bunch of 3-year old printers, waiting to be replaced by the competition.

SSL is NOT SUPPORTED in the current firmware, this must be corrected so businesses may take advantage of scanning to their SSL-based email services.

Here is a short list of the providers who utilize SSL connectivity for sending email to their cloud-basded office solutions (numerous others exist):

Gmail

Google Docs

Office 365

Hotmail

Live

Yahoo mail

In addition to enabling the SSL services in Scan to Email, Dell needs to provide step by step tutorials for connecting the scanner directly to cloud-based email  providers. the current documentation is non-existent; a five minute set-up should not take 3-4 hours of serching only to find that the printers will not support the service...especially when this could be so easily provided via a new firmware update.

How long could it take to add this into the Firmware upgrade releases? 3-5 months should be the max.

1 Message

March 26th, 2013 14:00

I couldn't agree with you more, we purchased a single 2335dn and then we bought 3 Samsung's because it didn't support SSL.

To Dell: You missed 3 easy sales because of a simple feature you are missing. I missed the days when all your hardware was top notch, with the exception of your servers, now you just sell overpriced out-of-date garbage...

I also own a 7130CDN and it was the biggest waste of $2500 from my 2012 budget. It doesn't work well and your support on it was less than useless. I believe our engineers are so tired of battling with it to work, they don't even try to print to 17" paper anymore.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2013 06:00

I had the same problem, but for googleaccounts there is a solution. See support.google.com/.../answer.py

I tried it and it works directly! Only for mails to google accounts. The important SMTP setting is (copied from googlesite):

If your device or application does not support SSL, connect to aspmx.l.google.com on port 25.

No Events found!