Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2009 15:00

Scan to email errors with Dell MFP 3115cn

We moved email servers recently, and this function has ceased.  I pointed the printer to the new email server, but I still get this error when our users try to scan.  The error is:

SMTP Error

016-764

I can't find any error codes (or I didn't look hard enough), but it's clear it's a SMTP problem.  Nothing has changed other than the server, so I'm not sure why this is happening.

1.7K Posts

September 22nd, 2009 06:00

This error is an SMTP Connection error. What SMTP port are you using on the new email server?

Have you double-checked all the Email settings using the web interface for the printer?

1.7K Posts

October 1st, 2009 07:00

No prob on the delay..... been real busy myself.

I hate mysteries too...... they usually come back and bite ya.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working.

2 Posts

October 1st, 2009 07:00

Sorry for the delayed response.  I wasn't sure about the ports before, but I knew they could be a problem.  Things got busy around the office, so I didn't have a chance to test further.  This morning, it worked for no reason.  Nothing changed from what I can tell, but I guess something must have.

I hate mysteries.  Thanks for the help.

1 Message

August 9th, 2010 07:00

I keep getting error 016-764

I know the printer is on the local network

I know the destination server IP is reachable from the local network

I am guessing at the authentication mechanism

E-Mail Server Settings

Primary SMTP Gateway
SMTP Port Number (25, 5000 - 65535)
E-Mail Send Authentication Invalid POP before SMTP (Plain) POP before SMTP (APOP) SMTP AUTH (Plain) SMTP AUTH (Login) SMTP AUTH (CRAM-MD5)*SMTP AUTH (AUTO)
SMTP Login User
SMTP Login Password
POP3 Server Address
POP3 Port Number (110, 5000 - 65535)
POP User Name
POP User Password
Reply Address
(Sent with every E-Mail)
SMTP Server Connection Unable to connect

3 Posts

February 13th, 2011 15:00

No prob on the delay..... been real busy myself.

I hate mysteries too...... they usually come back and bite ya.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working.

I got more deep understanding about this part, This is what I'm looking for, Thanks for your sharing!

1 Message

April 9th, 2013 07:00

Any updates on this?  I have the same issue.  

It worked, we swtiched to comcast internet provider, still worked,  we reset the firewall one day and it stopped working.  (We reset the firewall often). 

Any ideas?  This happened before and it started working again a week later with no reason why. 

2 Posts

October 8th, 2014 10:00

Hello I am also having that scan to email error 016-764SMTP error when trying  scan to Gmail emails, it was working  fine for a while then all of a sudden it stopped. I tried tech support w Dell over the phone but bc my warranty  on our printers  expired they said they can't answer such an advanced  issue bc I don't have warranties.  The only thing I was told was that my port may have wrong # its 9100 right now which they said was the wrong  port  for gmail. Can u help?

2 Posts

October 8th, 2014 10:00

How did you get the scanner to work and fix that error?  I have sane issue abd can't figure it out thanks!

5 Posts

October 8th, 2014 15:00

For gmail try

SMTP port number 587

No Events found!