Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2013 15:00

Setting up a second hand Dell 968 All-in-one Printer

Hi all, 

My manager recently bought a new printer and she has given me her old Dell 968. I'm interested to learn people's opinions regarding the following. 

- I do not have the original Driver and Utilities CD that would have come with the printer. Do I need that CD, or can I download the driver for this model of printer I found online? (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-968). 

- The printer did not include the Internal Network Network Adapter 1150, I can only assume it had been connected directly to a computer using a USB 2 Cable. My laptop does not have a USB 2 outlet, so I would like to go the Wifi adapter route. Can anyone speak to the reliability and performance of the printer connected through a Wifi network?

- In the Dell 968 FAQs section (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_346864&isLegacy=true&DoNotRedirect=y), I am instructed that I will need a USB cable to connect my printer wirelessly to my computer. As mentioned above, I do not have the capability to connect USB 2 to my laptop, does anyone know why this item is necessary?

- Finally, will this printer work wirelessly with a Windows 7 OS?

Thanks for your guidance, very much appreciated!

T

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2013 19:00

T,

This printer, since it does not have the wireless adapter, has to be attached to a usb port. If you purchase a wireless print adapter, you can attach the usb cable from the printer to the usb adapter and can print.

If you have a desktop, you can use the desktop as a host computer and then use your wireless network to print to the printer. The problem is the host computer needs to be online to print.

Try reading the Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7) and the instructions are there to get the printer to install on Windows 7.

Without the printer disk, you won't be able to scan a document, since the OCR Program is needed to scan/fax.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Rick

4 Posts

June 18th, 2013 06:00

Thanks Rick. Do you know if I'm able to order the Printer Disk through the Dell website, so that it can be shipped along with the adapter 1150 and the ink cartridges I'll need? I've been searching for the disk on the website, but haven't been able to find it.

Also, you mention that a desktop could be the host computer. I don't suppose there would be any difference with using my laptop instead?

Best,

Todd

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 19th, 2013 09:00

Todd,

Sorry for the delay, working a different jobs, person on vacation.

Drivers for this printer are available to download from Dell's website.

Not sure if you can purchase the 1150 adapter or not.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

If you want to scan, once we get the printer working, we can discuss OCR Programs by clicking on my blue username, start conversation.

Rick

4 Posts

July 14th, 2013 18:00

Hi Rick, 

re: Dell 968 AIO 

Thanks for your assistance. I was able to purchase the ink cartridges, download the appropriate driver and I tracked down an Internal Network Adapter 1150 on ebay and had it shipped. I've since installed it, but I am experiencing the issue of my computer's selective inability to communicate with the printer via the Wifi network in my apartment. 

I believe I installed the 1150 adapter correctly, and it recognized my Wifi network when I set up the wireless functionality using the setup program within the device driver software. The signal strength is registering at 82%. Strangely, within my Control Panel -> Devices and Printers the AIO appears as "offline" yet I have been able to scan and send documents wirelessly between the printer and my laptop. However I am not able to print wirelessly !? When I try to print. I receive the following message:

Communication Not Available

The printer cannot communicate with the computer

Try these solutions:

- Ensure the printer is powered on

- Disconnect and reconnect the printer's power cable

- Disconnect or reconnect the USB or Network cable

- Check your firewall settings to ensure the printer connection is not blocked 

- Restart your computer

I have tried all the suggestions (except disconnection or reconnecting the USB, since I an trying to operate the AIO wirelessly) without success. 

Do you have any idea what the problem might be, and how it could be resolved?

Thank you,

T

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 14th, 2013 19:00

T,

Make and model of your computer and operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit? Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

Make and model of your wireless router, please.

Can you run Network Interface and post that information back here.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

4 Posts

July 17th, 2013 18:00

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I am using a Sony Vaio, model number VGN-FW235D. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit. It was installed back in 2009 and I have not had to re-install it. However, it might be worth noting that it was installed by a friend of mine in the IT sector before it was released to the general public. 

Wireless router is Sagemcom F@st

I am using Windows Firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials as a virus program

Here is the information produced from network interface:

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wireless Network Connection

Description            : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

GUID                   : cce6c821-4467-4060-b96b-690f9e9ca739

Physical address       : 00:21:5d:07:8c:52

State                  : connected

SSID                   : cabbagetowner2

BSSID                  : 2c:e4:12:99:f0:2b

Network type           : Infrastructure

Radio type             : 802.11g

Authentication         : WPA2-Personal

Cipher                 : CCMP

Connection mode        : Auto Connect

Channel                : 10

Receive rate (Mbps)    : 217

Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 217

Signal                 : 99%

Profile                : cabbagetowner2

Hosted network status  : Not available

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

T

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 17th, 2013 18:00

T,

Printer worked before, I would suggest...

Changing the wireless router to channel 11.

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Make sure to read...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

4 Posts

November 24th, 2014 17:00

Rick, I have a similar problem as T. back in 2013 with Dell Internal Network Adaptor 1150 on my Dell AIO 968 inkjet printer decided to quit working after I had a new router installed.  My hard wired Dell desktop PC works just fine with this printer and I noticed that the printer's wireless signal is "lit."  When the tech had finished installing the BEC Technologies router 802.11n Dual WAN ADSL2 + Firewall Router, everything worked with my desktop PC and laptop with the exception of my ability to print from the laptop to the wire-less printer mode.  The laptop is a Dell XPS-15R and uses Windows 7.0 and uses 64-bit system.  I use System Mechanic Pro anti-virus and Windows firewall although I believe the anti-virus also exhibits a virus component as well.  I have had used Windows 7.0 since I purchased the laptop in 2010.

I seems logical to me that since the new router was set up with a different SSID and Network Password, I should be making some software information changes to account for that but I don't know where to start with accomplishing that.  In other words, I'm assuming I should be configuring the added wireless network device before expecting to use it with my computer and again I have tried that by working with the "Dell Wireless Setup Utility Wizard" software but whenever I tried to do that, it tells me that the wizard wasn't able to communicate with the wireless printer adapter.  Then it says to check that the USB cable is properly connected.  What?  I'm trying to set it up wirelessly!  HELP!!!  From a Novice, Al.

By the way, my e-mail address is Email id removed per privacy policy> and I can be reached at Phone number removed per privacy policy>.

No Events found!