Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2009 02:00

Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300

There is a know issue with a Belkin N router and it will not allow the Dell 3300 Wireless Printer Adapter to communicate.

The Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 works with no security, WEP Security and WPA-PSK (TKIP) Security (Personal) ONLY.

2.4GHz ONLY

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Password at least 13 characters long.

Mixed mode

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.(I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility 

This will have to be installed in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode  with Windows 7.

Right click on the setup file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista SP2. Then right click on the setup, left click run as administrator.

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Install your printer 

Install the proper drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

Rick

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 14:00

Rick

I have been through this entire process several times and never have been able to get it to work.  I also tried setting it up on the g bandwidth with the same result.  I have only two green lights on the adapter ....no green light for the wireless status light.....I have tried everything you have suggested several times....Do you have anything else I can do?

Doug

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 14:00

Doug,

We had an issue with a Belkin wireless N router. It could not tell the difference between WPA-TKIP and AES. AES is NOT supported by the 3300, just WEP and WPA_-PSK(TKIP) If you are using the setting in your router I suggested, when you connect the 3300 to your computer with the USB Cable, can it see your network? Does it connect to your network?

Rick

1 Message

September 29th, 2010 19:00

Rick, you still on the channel?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 29th, 2010 20:00

timbear,

Yes, I'm still here.

Make and model of your wireless router is helpful.

What type of security are you using and which channel?

Make and model of the printer that you'e trying to connect to the 3300?

Rick

September 3rd, 2012 01:00

Thanks for this Rick,  I had read and followed this thread before but like the previous person, all to no avail.  

A few points :

1.  You state "mixed mode" - what does this refer to and where is it set ?

2.  Setting new SSID - there are 5 other devices (2 desktops, 2 laptops & one printer (Epson SX420) using this network and was trying to avoid having to reconfigure all of them in case I ended up losing connectivity with one or more of them. Do you believe a new SSID is absolutely essential ?

3.  Printer I am trying to add to the network is a Dell 924 AIO, primarily for use by my children, (but also as a standby for the numerous occasions the epson print quality is naff ), so its a "nice to have" rather than essential.

4.  Router is a Billion rather than a Belkin.

5.  The network has been established for over a year and during that time I have been able to add the epson printer and the two kids laptops to the network within minutes.  

6.  The laptops are on Windows 7 and the desktops are on XP.

7.  at this stage connection to 3300 is to desktop via USB.  Still can only get 2 green lights and wizard staes "unable to join the network".

3300 is getting closer to the bin (or window) with each attempt, so and further advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Fireman Stud

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

Fireman Stud,

Let's leave the router settings alone. Just check the channel. I would switch the channel to channel 11, there should not  be a problem with everything connecting. I had this setup on my network with a 12 character password instead of a 13 chanrcter password.

Try running the setup for the 3300. Press and hold the reset button in the back of the 3300 for 30 seconds. That should reset the 3300 back to factory. Try to connect to the neighbors network and fake a password. It will tell you it won't connect. Then try your own network and it should connect.

Whick green lights are on? The printer will need to be turned on 24/7 in order for this to work. I had the screen on my printer turn off after 10 minutes. I had it setup for a Dell 964 Printer. I still have mine in the closet, so I can check

Rick

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

Some progress to report.  When I change the settings of my router to disable the encryption, the 3300 can be successfully configured to connect to the network BUT ONLY AFTER A FULL RESET OF THE 3300 (BY PRESSING THE TEST BUTTON WHILE CONNECTING THE POWER LEAD).    

It appears the WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption will only allow AES and not TKIP (that may be obvious to those who understand the jargon !?) because if I have the router with WPA/WPA2 PSK and change my PC adaptor settings to TKIP, the PC loses connectivity with the network / router.

So it would seem that my original connectivity issue is down to the fact that the 3300 does not support AES encryption.   Guessing that there is no way of updating this ??

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 06:00

Fireman Stud,

From what I've seen, I had the 3300 attached to my network using WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal) In my notes, I did not see that WPA-AES was supported. The 3300 Firmware is needed if you look under fixes and enhancements.

The adapter works best on channels 1, 6 or 11. I used channel 11. The higher the channel, the smaller the antenna, meaning that the connection would be better.

Rick

September 4th, 2012 15:00

mmmm........ , More progress but now proved that this adaptor will not function with encryption using the equipment running my network - even with the firmware update "R139145".  Heres how I did this :

I changed my router settings and network properties (using the advanced settings link)  to have no encryption.  Ran the 3300 set up utility again - bingo - adaptor joins the network.

I then spent hours trying every different permutation of encryption, and the adaptor fails to join the network with every option.  

The router setting options are clearly defined - WEP; WPA with PSK; WPA/WPA2 with PSK or Disabled.  There is no option to fine tune the WPA's to AES or TKIP.  That bit has to be done by changing the advanced settings when viewing the wireless network properties - nothing inside the router settings.

I'm using Draytek USB wireless adaptors.  When changing the advanced settings of the network properties,  I can set  to TKIP but the PC then loses sight of the internet.  Still can see the network broadcasting but have to manually connect.  As soon as I do this, the TKIP is automatically replaced with AES.

Conclusion :  Dell 3300 is not compatible with my network hardware because the network can only run with AES encryption.

Hope this info proves useful to somebody - if only to prevent them spending the amount of time that I've wasted on the matter.

If anybody knows of a AES compatible Wireless Printer Adaptor to suit a Dell 924 Printer, please fell free to post a message.  Cheers.

September 5th, 2012 10:00

Fireman Stud,

I had this adapter work for WPA-PSK (TKIP) Security (Personal)

Rick

September 6th, 2012 02:00

I can too but the the wireless adaptors on the two PCs will not run TKIP.  So if I get the Dell adaptor to connect to the network,  I lose connectivity on the desktop.  

I think if I had different adaptors for the PCs I may be able to run everything in TKIP mode but I'm stuck with two quite expensive Draytek adaptors - which are now proving to be nearly as much of a pain as the Draytek router that I had previously persevered with and then exchanged for the Billion.

Thanks for your input.

October 5th, 2012 23:00

Anywhere I can download the Wireless config Utility, Cant seem to find it. Can Anyone Help??!?! PLEASE!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 7th, 2012 15:00

mrARCADIAN,

The 3300 utility can be found in the first theread here, Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300

If using Windows 7, you have to install the utility in the Vista(I used Vista SP2) Compatibility mode

Make sure to read the special notes in the first thread.

If you need further help, fel free to ask.

Rick

1 Message

April 30th, 2013 17:00

Rick,  I have a v313w wireless printer that I defaulted settings after a power issue here in NY,,,I cant seem to get an IP addrtess or Gateway address on printer to use on home network...I can connect directly and works fine, all my PC's work fine on Linksys wireless router...Printer will not access router...

Thank You

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 30th, 2013 17:00

billiam0126,

Are you using the wireless adapter in the V313w Printer?

Rick

No Events found!