Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 17th, 2014 08:00

Technical support is horrible

I have been trying to connect my  brand new Dell 7000 series laptop to an old Dell 946 printer.  I have been on the phone with technical support for over an hour and have been transferred to 6 different people. Half of the people have told me that if I pay for an extended warranty with a credit card they can help me, and the other half of the people told me someone can help me for free and keep transferring me to different departments. I finally just spoke to a supervisor who told me there is no printer driver available for the 946 printer and Windows 8. If someone had told me that an hour ago, I could have been saved a lot of aggravation.

I will NEVER buy another Dell product.

Lynn Huston

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2014 09:00

Lynn,

Maybe I can help.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any, then Windows Defender is the default. Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

No Events found!