Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2010 11:00

Trobles with the Dell Personal AIO Printer A960

I recently had a system crash and had to reinstall my system which consists of the following:

AMD X2 64 5400

Asus Motherboard

4 Gb ram

Windows XP Pro (32bit)

Everything was running fine before the crash but since then I can not get the All-In-One center to load. Every time I try to access it the window comes up telling that it is searching for a scanner application. This will continue indefinitely or until I use Task Manager to shut down the program.

I have tried re-installing everything from the install disk, didn't help. I have also downloaded the latest versions from the Dell Support pages and again that didn't help. I have even gone to the extent of removing all reference to the printer/scanner in the registry files. I only use the A960 for scanning and hard copy faxing and have not used the printer function in a couple years.

Windows sees the printer fine as well as the scanner portion of the machine but for some reason the AIO can't find the scanner application.

Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 17:00

Mindtrap25,

Does your computer have, AMD USB Audio Driver Filter?

Did you try Uninstalling the printer using the patch, printer cleanup utility?

Try reinstalling the printer using the instructions located at...

A960 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 12:00

No the motherboard uses standard mini-jack connections for the audio.

Yes I used the patch, printer cleanup utility and it does not see the printer.

Followed the instructions to a "T" still no luck.

I did replace the usb cable and discovered a faulty usb port on my motherboard but have swapped the printer to a different, working, port and still no luck.

As soon as I plug in the printer, with or without power, Windows XP pro sees it as the proper printer and asks to install drivers. I cancel that and have used the cd that came with the printer, install files downloaded from Dell support as well as the install that comes with the cleanup utility. The first 2 will install everything fine but the AIO center can't find a scanning application. The cleanup utility will not even see the printer so refuses to install anything.

I'm kinda thinking that this printer has become an expensive paperweight and will have to be replaced with a scanner since that is the only function that I really need.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 19:00

Mindtrap15,

Try running Delete Print Jobs, first.

Please follow the instructions and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net bframework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, A MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the XP Drivers

Install the XP drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

3 Posts

March 24th, 2010 20:00

I've given up on the Dell A960, way too much trouble for something that should work and gone back to my old flatbed scanner. Simple install and actually works.

Thanks for all the help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 25th, 2010 01:00

Mindtrap25,

Sorry you couldn't get it working.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!