Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2010 20:00

Trouble installing Dell Photo 964 printer on XP Home

Hello, I'm having the exact same problems as deedukes (in an earlier thread). Same setup (XP, more on this below), same files, and I get the same results, IF the USB cord is NOT connected when the installation starts. I'm never prompted to connect the USB cord. As deedukes put it:

Get to the screen where you have to click either
     Personal installation - Install printer for use on this computer or
     Network installation - Install printer for use on a network.
I select Personal installation and the screen disappears then nothing - no installation, no error message - nothing. It's driving me mad!

I've located the actual setup.exe file, but nothing happened when I double-clicked it. Nothing at all. It's like the operating system doesn't recognize it.

On the other hand, if the USB cord IS connected when the installation starts, I get a partial install because the All-In-One Center doesn't install. I can print out a test page, but I'm hamstrung without the All-In-One Center.

I've deleted the printer, run the Clean Up utility (R166225), and nothing seems to work.

Rick, I've seen you post this advice:

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

However, I've lost the disk that came with the printer, and there is no OCR folder after running the driver I downloaded from Dell (R113115).

Other notes: I exit from my antivirus software before I run anything, so I don't think that's part of the problem. After reading Rick's responses to other people with similar issues with this printer, I installed the latest .NET Framework and Java files today, but they didn't help or seem to change anything. I'm running XP, SP3. I ran a firmware update on this printer just recently (R133178), when it was connected to a different computer, and as far as I know it worked okay.

My USB cable is 6' or less.  My computer is a Dell Precision Workstation 340.  I recently did a clean install of XP Home (from Windows 2000 Professional), and have gone through the Windows Updates multiple times - I think I'm done with them now.  (BTW, the printer worked perfectly under the previous OS.)  I do have the installation disks for XP Home.  

Rick, I hope this gives you all the info you need.  If not, I'm certainly happy to try to answer any questions.  Thanks in advance!

5 Posts

Thanks for your reply, leastmanjr.  I just finished editing my post to include the info that XP Home was a clean install.  (Apparently it's not possible to go from W2K Pro to XP Home, and anyway the old operating system had become so hosed over time, it wouldn't have been a good idea anyway).  I agree with what you said about a fresh install taking less time than all the troubleshooting later... the exception being this printer, in my case.  

23 Posts

A problem I have seen with that printer is that the windows update suggested a driver and when the driver was installed from windows update the printer stopped working.  I person I know had the same issues you are having and eventually ended up reinstalling windows.  It sounds like you did an upgrade to windows xp.  Did you do an upgrade on your old system or did you upgrade by installing a fresh copy of xp from the xp disk?  You can avoid some upgrade problems by installing xp from the xp disk without starting with your windows 2000 disk.  The installation will ask you to put you windows 2000 disk in to insure you do have a copy however the full version of xp is on the disk. 

Sometimes a fresh reinstall takes less time than all the troubleshooting. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 28th, 2010 01:00

skati5,

First issue, first.

Disconnect the printer.

Go to control panel, add/remove programs. Uninstall the Dell 964 Printer. make sure the drivers are gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

When you did the clean installation of XP, did you install the drivers in order? How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Usually I tell peoplke to install the desktop/notebook utility first(if applicable) and then the chipset drivers or the rest of the drivers will not install properly. I suspect there could be an issue with your USB Ports and installing the chipset drivers seems to help.

Restart your computer.

When you ran the patch, it removed some of your Dell Programs. Some that might have to do with the USB Ports and other items. I would suggest that you get the drivers disk out and install the drivers in order. The printer cleanup utility for the 964 printer removes more than it's supposed to. I figured this out as I have a Dell 964 printer.

Install the printer drivers first. Keep the printer disconnected until you get the message, the printer is not connected. At this time, you then will connect the printer(powered on)

What happens?

Rick

5 Posts

January 28th, 2010 07:00

Hi Rick,

I double-checked that the drivers are gone, and the only printer driver I saw is for the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.  I left that alone.

You say that when I ran the patch, it removed some of my Dell programs, and some that might have to do with the USB ports and other items.  I just connected a Seagate external hard drive to the USB in the front of the tower, and it worked fine.  So hopefully this indicates that the patch didn't affect the USB ports.  If you think the patch might have affected something else important, please let me know what exactly I should test for.

I didn't install the drivers in the recommended order, so I went to the Dell Drivers & Downloads page for the Dell Precision WorkStation 340 running Windows XP.  There is no category for Desktop Utility or the chipset (unless I missed them somehow).  I found this on another techie website for the Precision 340:  "According to Dell there are no WinXP chipset drivers available. I would take that as an indication they are relying on Windows drivers."  If this is true, then would having the lastest service pack be sufficient?  And how does all this affect your instructions?

I do have the original Drivers and Utilities disk that came with the computer when it was new and running W2K Pro.  But I'm worried that it's going to be WAY out of date, and mess things up even more if I try to use it.  (I have updated the BIOS.  The audio and display are now working fine too.)  Maybe I'm just paranoid... I haven't ever tried to use this disk before and it makes me nervous.  If I really do need to use this disk, any specific instructions on what I to do after I've booted to it would be much appreciated.

I was just wondering about this... if I were to somehow find or buy the installation disk for this printer, would that solve my problems?

Thanks again for your help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 28th, 2010 14:00

skati5,

I'm stumped with this one. Most Dell computers have these drivers that need installed, unless they were on the origional XP disk.

Since you confirmed that the USB Ports do work, then go to start control panel, add/remove programs, and make sure the printer is removed. Patch not necessary with this printer. Also check Manual Printer Driver Removal to make sure it's gone.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers (These drivers are XP 32-bit drivers)

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or try using

Simple OCR if you lost the printer disk.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

5 Posts

January 29th, 2010 22:00

Thanks for trying Rick.  Assuming that the install disk would solve my problems, if you have the chance to put a bug in the ear of someone who could make this happen, Dell customers should have full installation files available for download.  I don't understand why they don't post them automatically.  Or, at the very least, let us purchase replacement installation disks.  It's this kind of thing - having a viable printer that I can't fully use, for lack of one little application (the All-In-One Center) - that is liable to drive people to other vendors.

January 30th, 2010 00:00

skati5,

The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package you downloaded from Dell's website. If you tried, disconnecting your computer, uninstalled your computer. Restart your computer. Install the XP Drivers (The ones I have listed are 32-bit. If you need 64-bit drivers, I'll see what I can do.) you'll be promtped when tp connect the printer(powered on) Please use a 6 ft or smaller usb cable.

Try a different usb port if the printer does not install.

Rick

No Events found!