tlon
1 Copper

Trying to connect Dell 968 printer to HP 625

I'm having trouble connecting a Dell 968 printer to HP 625 laptop (Windows 7).  I've contacted Dell and HP support services and still can't sort out the problem.  The software has been downloaded from the Dell site but I can't send anything to print.  The laptop is not connecting / reading the printer (e.g. no printer ink cartridge image etc).  I've tried all the usual steps (loading and reloading software, checking all connections, etc).  The printer works perfectly on a Dell E6400.  Ideas/advice on solving the problem appreciated.  Thanks. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
tlon
1 Copper

Re: Trying to connect Dell 968 printer to HP 625

Having searched through the advice given on other threads, I've uninstalled everything again and reinstalled a driver, but this time installed the driver for Vista (which is what I've read is the recommended for Win7) but the problem persists as the laptop is still not communicating with the printer.  Has anyone else come across this problem/any suggestions?  Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

tlon,

The laptop that has Windows 7, was this an upgrade or purchased with Windows 7?

What settings are you using in your wireless router? Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would change the SSID name and try and see if you can get everything to connect with the new settings.

Try running  Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Install the printer, use network and follow the instructions.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
tlon
1 Copper

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.  The laptop came with Windows 7.  I'm still having difficulty getting them connected but will keep trying!  It may be some setting on my laptop that I've missed. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

tlon,

Sorry, I realized my instructions weren't all there.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the drivers in the Compatibility mode, choose network and follow the instructions.

Links to the drivers can be foubnd at...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
tlon
1 Copper

Thanks again. I've reinstalled the software and made the adjustments under compatability mode and as administrator and finally there's some communication.  I can now scan docs which is great but am still troubleshooting the printing as I'm still unable to print.  Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

tlon,

Can you copy a document under the glass? B&W and color?

What virus protection and firewall are you using?

You checked the box Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

What language operating system is installed on the computer?

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
tlon
1 Copper

Thanks.  I made changes to the firewall and printer settings again and now, finally, the printer is communicating with the laptop which is great. It's getting stuck at 64% when I try to print but it's great to have the laptop communicating anyway.  Thanks again for all your help. 

0 Kudos
tlon
1 Copper

Finally got printer working completely.  Software installed correctly and necessary changes made to the firewall.  Thanks for the advice. 

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

tlon,

Glad you got it working! emoticon.Yes.title Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos