Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2009 02:00

Unable to Print PDF files

I have a Dell AIO 942. I use Windows xp as my os. The printer has worked fine until I needed to scan. Once I downloaded dell drivers I was able to scan, but no longer print pdf files. All other types of documents will print without a problem. I have uninstalled, installed from disk, installed from Dell website, uninstalled, restarted, unplugged, plugged in - you name it I've done it.

I read on one of the tech sites that the dell aio printers are not compatible with Adobe and that I should download a different software for reading and creating pdf files. Is this true? Is there a free pdf software that is good and will work well with my computer and printer. Hopefully someone will have the answers I need. This entire ordeal has put great strain on my brain. :)

Thank you

Denise

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 12th, 2009 03:00

Denise,

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens. When printing from a pdf, make sure the proper printer is selected from the drop down menu before trying to print, for the first time.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer. (You may have to right click on the patch, left click run as administrator)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on). When installing the drivers, the folder might just inzip. look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator, then follow the instructions.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

No Events found!