Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2010 12:00

V305 Printer and Vista Give "Communication Not Available" error

I was asked to start a new tread that way my issue doesn't get mixed up with someone else who had the same or similar problem as me.

I have a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop that is connected by USB cable to a Dell V305 All in One (Printer, Copier, Scanner).

I've been using the printer for at least couple of years with the same laptop and never had a problem printing. But several months ago, all of a sudden started to receive "Communication Not Available" error from the printer. I do believe the problem started after a series of Automate Windows Updates.

I went through the steps of get ting my system back to a restore point before the latest Windows Updates, and that only helped the issue I was having with my system working slow and screen blackouts.

I have Vista home edition 32 bit (SP2), latest Windows Updates as of yesterday, and latest Java. 

I have uninstalled, cleaned up all folders, and then reinstalled back the printer drivers  and also updates on Dell Printers several times.

I've run virusscan and spyware & cleaned the system of adware and such. 

Before that I had reinstalled my OS & all my applications & data.

I still have problem printing. I can print Test Pages & so far some web pages, but no PDFs or .txt  or .doc files!  I don't have a problem with copier or scanner, just the printer part.

Is there anything else I can try to fix the issue?!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2010 14:00

Zhosseini,

You said that you disconnected the printer, then uninstalled the printer.

Restarted the computer is a must, then install the proper drivers.

Try this little tweak to see if it helps.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

More information on installing the printer and downloading the drivers can be found at...

V305 & V305w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

3 Posts

April 8th, 2010 15:00

I followed all your instructions and still have the same problem. I'm giving up ;-(

No Events found!