Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2011 00:00

V313W - printer will not accept refilled ink cartridges

I added ink to my black Series 21  ink cartridge. when I try to print I get a message: "your black ink may be below the required level for quality printing" It gives two options: "I am replacing my ink cartridges now and want to continue printing" or "I want to print using only the color ink" . If I select the first option nothing happens and the same window reopens. Is there a way to override the printer and make it accept and print with the refilled black ink cartridge? Thanks.

1 Message

June 21st, 2013 05:00

This limitation has been bugging me since I bought this printer 3- years ago. I now have a sucessful 'work-around for the error message 'will not print until cartridge is changed'. You will eventually get this message on the printers screen if you keep printing with a low ink cartridge, or what the printer THINKS is low. It is telling you the 'fuse' count for the cartridge has been tripped and it will no longer recognize the cartridge as usable. It is just a ploy to get you to buy ink and stop you from re-filling your cartridge, under the guise of 'we don't want you to compramise the print quality with inferior ink'. As if you wouldn't know if the print quality was deteriorating.

Work-around: Replace the cartridge and print a few pages. THEN, go into the printers PROPERTIES page and chose 'ADVANCED' tab, then click 'PRINT PROCESSOR' button. Change the Print Processor FROM:  'Dell V313' TO 'WinPrint'. Then change Default Data Type TO:  'RAW [FF Auto]'. Click SAVE. This will by-pass the Dell software and send print jobs directly to the printer, bypassing the 'fuse' . And it does a good job keeping the original document formatting. I have used this sucessfully for over a year on the SAME black cartridge that I have re-filled many times. Once in a blue-moon the formatting is not correct. You can change back to the factory settings for that 1- doc, then back to the modified settings as long as you DO NOT have the 'will not print until cartridge is changed' error in the printer window. Even if you do have the 'not print' error, making the changes to the print proprties will allow the printer to print.

Wonder if Dell will leave this post up?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2011 02:00

ivgotit,

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 21, 22 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 21. 22 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would take these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

7 Posts

March 31st, 2011 03:00

Thanks for trying ... I followed the steps - same problem. the printer screen says I have to replace the cartridge due to low ink - must be a chip that keeps track of each cartridge ... I don't understand why Dell will not allow use of refilled cartridges ...:emotion-12:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2011 04:00

ivgotit,

You did read about the sensor in the ink cartridges that cannot be reset. You can use a cartridge as long as you can put up with the low ink message but the message will always be there. Some people had sucess with this and kept a spare ready. When the quality got bad, they would put the next one in.

If the printer stops working, the first thing to try in using a Dell Series cartridges to get thing working, again. Most printer manufacturers are now using the sensors so they can get the profits from the ink sales.

Rick

7 Posts

March 31st, 2011 08:00

Thanks again - the printer will not allow me to print using the refilled cartridge no matter what I do. If there is any other means to get around this, please let me know.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2011 15:00

ivgotit,

Try...

Start, control panel, printers your printer, printer preferences, advanced, more options. There may be a complete-a-print box there you can check.

It may or may not allow you to print.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2011 17:00

ivgotit,

Replacing the cartridges is the only option.

Some generics work and some don't, so if you take that route, it may be hit and miss until you find cheaper cartrisges that work.

Take care,

Rick

7 Posts

March 31st, 2011 17:00

Thanks - I already tried this route - the advanced options for V313W do not allow me to specify as above. It gives no such options

7 Posts

March 31st, 2011 18:00

Also, I set the printer to only print with the color cartridge and it still says I have to replace the black before it will print! I give up - I will buy new cartridge and refill it before it gets to the low warning level ... Thanks again.

No Events found!