Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2011 15:00

V313w wireless printer all of the sudden won't communicate with my computer

My wireless printer and computer are 5 months old and all of the sudden my printer won't communicate with my computer anymore.  I have tried all the troubleshooting ideas with no luck!  I have not reinstalled the printer yet hoping there is an easy solution.  Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 15th, 2011 15:00

kcphillips,

Let's try simple thing first...

What channel is the wireless router on?

Power off the ISP modem/router and the wireless router(if any) wait 30 seconds. Power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 30 seconds, the power on the wireless router(if any)

Unplug the printer from the wall. Wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Power on the printer.

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Restart your computer.

Open the document you want to print, click file, print and make sure the proper printer is selected.

What happens?

Rick

7 Posts

January 15th, 2011 16:00

Not 100% sure what you mean by channel but of the $'s 1 - 4 on the wireless router, the #3 is lit up.  Just did what you told me to and i got the same message "Not able to communicate"

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2011 14:00

kcphillips,

How is the V313w Wireless printer connected to your computer(s).

Make and model of your wireless router is helpful. The type of security, channel are helpful.

How to login to your wireless router and try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. 

Rick

38 Posts

January 17th, 2011 12:00

very simple, what color is the wifi led on your printer.........let me know this and it's pretty simple ..... i ll let you know what to do :):)

7 Posts

January 17th, 2011 13:00

the wifi led on the printer is solid green and I know the wifi is working because my laptop is working as are my other wireless devices.  When I go to print something it says the dell printer is the default printer and that it is ready.

7 Posts

January 17th, 2011 13:00

I have a Netgear wireless N-300 router.  I tried to login to my router using your directions and when I tried to enter the default gateway into the internet browser it wouldn't open anything.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2011 14:00

kcphillips,

I would log in to the wireless router ang try changing it to channel 11. Make sure it's on mixed mode. Some wireless devices work best on channels 1, 6 or 11.

When you put the default gateway in the address bar, it should ask for a username and password.

Since the printers WiFi is green, the printer is communication with the wireless router but changing the channel to 11 may help the computer to communicate.

Also try these tweaks...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

24 Posts

January 18th, 2011 01:00

Hey Rick,

I am having the same problem as this person followed your advice and still nothing! you were kind enough to try and help me with my printhead error can you try and help me with this too.

24 Posts

January 18th, 2011 03:00

ok i have worked out its my norton firewall causing the problem because it lets me print when i disable it but no idea how to fix it!

24 Posts

January 18th, 2011 08:00

Well you wouldn't have thought so KC but as Dell were only obliged to sort the printer out which they did by proving it was the the virus wear not the printer how i sort it out is a mystery!!

7 Posts

January 18th, 2011 08:00

I tried turning off my McAfee firewall and was able to print - surely we shouldn't have to do that everytime we want to print!!!

7 Posts

January 18th, 2011 09:00

I just got mine fixed thanks to your suggestion of the firewall issue.  I did an online chat with McAfee and he restored my default settings and now it works.  Hopefully, yours is that simple.  By the way, I spent about an hour online with Dell yesterday and they never suggested I look at my firewall.

24 Posts

Oh i'm pleased i hope so too but now it keeps jamming the paper so there going to replace the printer becauses its still under warranty. I guess its a bit hit and miss getting advice 

Fingers crossed,another wasted day

Trish

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

kcphillips and  Star 65,

These instructions may be for an earlier version of the virus protection. It should get you in the right area to ba able to allow the printer past them.

kcphillips,

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Star 65

Allow a printer past Norton

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2011 11:00

Karen,

Gald you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. You may have to watch this closely. Sometimes when virus programs update, they correct things and the settings may go back to default. You may have to allow the printer past the virus program(s) firewall, again.

Trish,

Sorry to hear about the paper jaming issue.Glad you got it while the printer was in warranty.

Anyone with Dell inkjet printer issues, we're usually her to try to help. I am a Dell User, just like everyone else here is. I have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer and use FREE Avast Home Edition and never had thism problem. Some virus programs allow for printer communications and some block.

Everyone, take care,

Rick

No Events found!