Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 31st, 2009 14:00

V505w instalation issue on XP sp3

I am having issues getting the drivers for the V505w to work correctly with XP sp3.

The printer has sucessfully been added to my wireless network and the software installed is correctly communicating via a Vista PC, but when I instal on my XP desktop I have terminal re-boot issues that cause me to have to remove the drivers from the PC before I can use it.

I can sucessfully do the instal and have wirelessly printed to and scanned from the XP machine immidiatly after the install has completed, but the trouble all comes when I need to restart the computer the next time.  When logging in as any user, it will not finish the user startup cycle, and I loose all connectivity.  I can then not shut down sucessfully either.  It will get stuck in the save user settings part of the shutdown/log-off cycle. 

To fix I have to reboot in safemode and uninstall the v505w software.  Next restart after that will be fine. 

I have tried removing my zonelarm firewall, linksys network config app and the HP drivers from the previous printer, but to no avail, the Dell software will not startup correctly.  Java is at the Version 6 update 11 release and .net is at 3.0 so these are fairly new releases. 

The CD has the A00 driver set, but I have also tried the A01 release downloaded from dell - still not joy.

Help!!!  The next step is to re-image but I just don't want to go there right now if I can help it.

Is this Dells revenge for me buying an HP desktop!!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

timbo101,

You can try using my instructions below and try installing the printer using an unrestricted account, or maybe you'd like to try installing it in the safe mode using the administraotr account.

Before proceeding, please make sure the computer has all the Windows Updates, especially the net framework, which is needed for many programs to run. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Disconnect the printer.

Un-install the printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Please let me know how you make out.

Rick

4 Posts

Rick,

Thanks - I'll update .net and java - I'm only one release on both down form the latest.  But I'll give that a go.

The printer is communicating fine with the network - As I said I have no issues with it form my Vista64 desktop, or even the post instal tests on teh xp box.  just the XP machine at bootup/login.

Question - I installed this from my account in XP - as fare as I know this has admin provileges - What do you mean by an "unrestricted" user, is this the same?  Also why install in safemode?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 31st, 2009 15:00

timbo101,

Start, control panel, users. It will state who is limited and who isn't. The printer should install on ALL accounts.

Safe mode administrator account would most likely install on all accounts. I thought your issue was on the other accounts.

I installed my printer and it's there for all accounts on my machine.

Problem machine, make and model and operating system.

Rick

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 11:00

Upgraded both java to the .13 release and .net to 3.5.  Still no joy:emotion-6:

The problem machine is an Athalon64 based HP Pavilion running xp meda center with SP3 installed.

I know the XP drivers from the CD do work as I have successfully installed, printed and more importantly rebooted my work laptop, so this is relay pointing to some software incompatibility on the desktop an forcing me down the re-build path.  probably not such a bad idea as there is just so much rubbish on that PC.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 13:00

timbo101,

Just curious, what version of Internet Explorer do you have installed? IE7?? If so, then go to control panel, add/remove programs and un-install it. You'll get prompted that these programs were install and may not work correctly. Click ok and follow the instructions. After the computer restarts, you'll have IE6 back. Now try installing the printer. Use the disk, if you'd like.

What happens?

Rick

I hd an issue with IE7 disabling my HP Photosmart camera software, Motorola Phone tools and a few other programs. After I removed IE7 and went back to IE6, everything worked again.

1 Message

January 9th, 2010 23:00

I just bought the same printer and encounter the same problem you guys have seen. My machine runs XP SP3, and all software is up-to-date. I have no problem installing the printer driver and other bundled software and connecting the printer to my home wireless network. Everything runs and works fine initially UNTIL I reboot my machine. Ever since my machine is rebooted and I log in, my desktop appears, but if I try to open an Windows Explorer, it just hangs. I cannot run Firefox and things like that. I cannot even run the Dell Imaging Toolbox. From the task manager (or Process Explorer) I can see that those failed-to-show programs have their process running, but they just won't do anything! Everything points to the problem of the DELL driver program. I've read all suggestions Rick made, none of them pin points to source of the problem; they all just wild guess on what (like java update, .NET framework update, IE issue, wireless router, ....) might have caused the problem. Even a techy people like myself cannot figure out what is going on, I cannot imagine how frustrated ordinary customers could be when they face the same problem. I think I will give a score of F (or 10 out of 100) to the driver program for this printer. Luckily, I can still return it and that's exactly what I will do.

Alex

4 Posts

January 11th, 2010 12:00

I never did work out what was causing the issue.

I finally fixed it by reinstalling the OS from scratch, patching the OS and then installing the apps one by one.  This was the first thing I installed and it worked (for a while), then about 2 months later some unidentified config or patch change broke it again.

Upgraded to W7 when that came out and have never had an issue since.  Never had any issues with it under Vista either. 

Real shame that they cannot get a quality XP driver as it's a great printer. 

No Events found!