Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2009 20:00

V505w slow startup

I've installed two different V505w printers on four different computers in the past few days and all are slow to start up after rebooting and this message is in system event viewer log:

dldwCATSCustConnectService service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

They seem to be functioning fine otherwise. Three systems are XP and one is a Vista. Each printer is installed wirelessly on a network with one desktop and one laptop. I'm wondering if there are some items I can uncheck in Startup that might help the situation.

Thanks,

Cathy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2009 20:00

Cathy,

Error 1053

Rick

June 30th, 2009 05:00

Thanks, Rick. I've checked two of the systems and they have both have .NET framework 2.0, so I'm not sure why they would be receiving a 1.0 error message. I'm downloading 3.5 and will see if there's a problem after installing and restarting. Will report back. Thanks for the pointer.

June 30th, 2009 08:00

After MUCH trial and error, I finally discovered that this problem was related to "help improve Dell printer products by sending your printer usage data to Dell." I had responded no and evidently this service (which has no dependencies, BTW) is related to dldwserv.exe. When I reinstalled and just said Yes, rebooted, no error message.

FWIW, after installing .NET 3.5 and updates to it, I still got the same message in event viewer without any reference to an error number.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 30th, 2009 10:00

CathyC,

On the XP machine, now bear with me as this old post of mine in not updated, you need these versions of net framework for everything to work. People first thought that removing the older version of .net framework was right, it wasn't. The older version was needed to run the newer version without any errors.

All problems with the latest updates with net framework are because you need to have

.net framework version 1.1 SP1
The hotfix for Version 1.1 SP1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8EC6FB8A-29EB-49CF-9DBC-1A0DC2273FF9&displaylang=en
.net framework 2.0

.net framework 3.0
.net framework 3.5

.net framework 3.5 SP1
all can be downloaded here or throught Windows Updates (custom updates on XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displayLang=en

after you install the net framework(s), the windows updates will disappear.

On the Vista machine, hotfix.you need .net framework 3.5 and the 3.5 SP1

Once you have all the correct versions of .net framework, make sure you Download Latest Java for each macjine. When they're completed, then if you need to, I can walk you through installing the printer using the wireless card.

Rick

July 1st, 2009 07:00

Well, I must say I never removed any versions of .NET framework and all Windows updates pertaining to same were installed. It seems to me that the printer installation software should have been written in such a way that all software required to execute a particular module should have been included during installation in case it was not already installed. I don't recall having this problem with any other installations.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 1st, 2009 10:00

CathyC,

Is this problem with only one computer or what?

Do you have the factory disk that came with the computer(s)?

Is one of the computers a Dell Studio 1536?

Have any of the computers been checked for malware? Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Does it find anything?

Rick

July 2nd, 2009 06:00

I had the problem on all four computers I installed it on - same slow start up and same error message in event viewer. Used the CD that came with printers. I believe one was a Dell Studio - don't recall model # - brand new. The other three were old XP machines. They were all checked for malware with MWB. No problems.

I think it was a problem with the programming - my selecting No for submitting data to help product development. Some kind of a loop that caused the service to finally time out. When I repaired and selected Yes, no problem.

September 2nd, 2009 07:00

After many hours of troubleshooting this problem, I finally found the solution: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319127 . Dell support was absolutely no help after online chats, telephone calls, and remote sessions. I finally found that there was no problem when booting up in safe mode. After checking the system event viewer log and Googling around, I found where another user had posted the answer here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55925-45-server-service-hung-startup .

I hope that 1) Dell will document this as a resource for their techs and 2) will change their programming of the installation so this won't happen again.

4 Posts

October 12th, 2009 15:00

I had the same problem with my Dimension 4550 and Inspiron 1000 after working with Tech support for about 4 hours the Tech support person said I would have to do a clean install. Not wanting to do this (too much trouble) I deleted my antivirus suite and installed Windows free antivirus to see if this made a difference. I did this on both computers and they now work fine. This is quick and easy to do so you may want to try this.

No Events found!