Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 14:00

Vista and Dell V305 "Communication Not Available"

Okay, So I am getting really frustrated with this computer.  My husband and I bought it about 2 months ago and we just bought a printer to go with it.  We liked the Kodak, it installed fine but when I went to print it gave the the "communication not available" error.  We thought it was the printer, so we returned it and got a Lexmark, did the same thing as the Kodak. Installed fine and then when we went to print "communication not available" error. I called Dell and they were going to charge me a "nominal fee" to help me fix the problem.  Instead, I went a bought a Dell printer, thinking that would fix the problem, but alas no. 

The printer installed fine, but when I go to print it gives me the same message, "communication not available" and the printer is connected via USB cable.

What do I need to do?

Bridget

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2009 15:00

Bridget,

First, make sure you computer has all the Windows Updates. I have the custom ines, too, especially .net framework, which in needed to run many applications. Also make sure to have the latest Java. Try re-installing the printer following the instructions below and then report back what happens.

Disconnect your printer.

Un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompter when to connect the printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Also you can do this so the computer doesn't lose communications with the printer.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

2 Posts

January 25th, 2009 16:00

I did all that and still the same message of "communication not available".  I keep trying to get a hold of Dell but they have been "busy" all day, and last week...

Could there be something within my computer that is blocking it?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 25th, 2009 17:00

Bridget,

Usually when I get a person that cannot install a printer, the operating system usually needs repaired. It really easy to do. Make backup copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice.

Insert the operating disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install

Do the agreement

Now choose repair. Let the disk in until you see the Welcome screen.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Make sure to go to Windows Updates and get all the latest Updates, especially /net framework, which is needed for many programs. Also get the latest java.

Restart the computer and now try installing the printer.

Rick

August 12th, 2009 07:00

Hmm   seems to be a trend.  I have the same with my new vista dell system.  re installed multiple time bought a new  USB cable, powered on poered off  and no joy..   the darn thing even finds the printer when i auto install it.   Dell tech support wants to charge to look at it even tho the system is less than 2 mts old.. Thats just wrong

2 Posts

August 18th, 2009 10:00

OH, there is DEFINITELY a trend here!  I am SOOOO angry and frustrated I can barely type!

I'm having the same problem as BOTH of you..............bought a brand new PC and printer at the same time from Dell early July.  My V-305 printer will NOT communicate with printer.  Tech support is less than USELESS!  We've done everything!  Installed, uninstalled, plugged in, unplugged, they even sent NEW software!  NOTHING has worked!  And it's apparent if other people are having the SAME problem it is NOT going to WORK!

NOW>>>>>>>>>why doesn't Dell techs KNOW this?  I own one laptop and TWO Dell PC's and NEVER AGAIN!  The service this time has been horrible!  Techs barely speak English so I can understand them, they do NOT know or understand their products, they have NO clue what they're DOING or HOW to resolve the problems.   I am returning the printer and this is the END of my long relationship with Dell products!

AND,..............I'm an author, so you can BET I will get the word OUT there to stay away from any Dell products!!!!

So YES, Griswold............is IS wrong!  Wrong how Dell customers are treated with NO customer care whatsoever!  With incompetent people.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 18th, 2009 13:00

Try un-installing the Kodak Software as I have seen problems with printers after the Kodak Software is installed. If this solves your problem, then contact Kodak.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks,

Rick

2 Posts

August 18th, 2009 18:00

I don't HAVE the Kodak software.

I'm an author..........I have another Dell PC for the Internet, email, etc. etc. etc.

I purchased THIS PC STRICTLY for my manuscripts.  That's IT.  I didn't need a modem to get online.  My other PC does that, PLUS I have a laptop with modem and Internet.  I ONLY wanted this PC for my manuscripts and to be able to write them to a CD for my publisher.

And Dell failed miserably in accomplishing the simple thing I needed it for.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 18th, 2009 19:00

ParisTJD,

This is the reason to make your own thread. The person at the top has Kodak software installed and just recently it was figured out that it does interfere with some printers.

There are a few known issues with a model or two, but you didn't state the make and model of your computer and operating system. The V305 is connected with USB Cable and the V305w has the wireless card.

You just said...

I ONLY wanted this PC for my manuscripts and to be able to write them to a CD for my publisher.

This does NOT have anything to do with a V305 printer.

If you'd like to try to install the printer, then try...

Let's just see if you have the printer installed correctly.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on). Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

If the printer has the wireless card and you want to use it, since you said you do not have a wireless router, you can use the ad-hoc mode, just follow the instructions below and tell it you do not have a wireless router.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

1 Message

September 25th, 2009 00:00

Having spent many hours waiting for and then conversing with, for the most part courteous & professional Dell support staff, I have the same unresolved issues with my V305 printer. Having stumbled across this blog ( first time blogger) I ought to be reassured that I'm not alone in this. The last Dell support person said they had recognised there was a problem with this printer, consequently they would not be selling further V305's until they had researched and fixed this problem. In the meantime I have purchased a product in good faith, and cannot use it . I emailed Dell asking if they would replace it with a similar product that would do the job it was designed for, and for which I had paid for it to do. Should I be hopeful, or shall I buy a printer from elsewhere?

In the meantime my Windows updates helpfully recognises the printer is kaput, and tries to download various updates to fix the problem. First time this happened, Oh joy of joys! I thought problem solved! But no, not a happening thing.

I am not an author, but I will suggesting to my own colleagues in Health that they might consider 'shopping locally".  This printer needs euthanasing

1 Message

November 2nd, 2009 10:00

I almost threw my V305 out the window after Dell told me for $50 they would show me how to fix my problem, but I finally figured out my communication problem. 

For me, I had to go into Control Panel, Admin Tools, and into Services.  Then I tried to start "Printer Spooler" but it would not "start".  So I looked to see what it was "Dependant" on by right clicking on it and chosing "Properties".  After I started the 2 items that the spooler depends on(by chosing "Manual"), I was able to start the spooler.  The printer and fax work fine now.

25 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 14:00

This may be a little intimidating, but it fix the same issue on a friends PC with eh same printer.

1. search the operating system registry for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DellInkjet"

If it find it make a copy of the key and than copy and pate the following info into Notepad and save it on the root directory c:\\ as a "printer.bat file".

Bat file lines:

REG SAVE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DellInkjet "%allusersprofile%\vkDellinkjet.reg"

REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DellInkjet /f 

PAUSE

use the Start/Search and type in CMD to get to a DOS window.  Close the window and re-open it from the Pearl button with a right-click "Run as Administrator".  Go to the root directory of C: (type "cd.." to go down in the file structure) and type in "Printer.bat" to run the batch file

Then test your printer.

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

Try turning your firewall off, not a good long term solution but it will prove that your printer can work.

If you have McAfee protection, right click on the red M near the bottom right of your screen and select "Change Settings"

Select Internet and Network on the left hand side of the McAfee window and on the right you'll see "Firewall Protection". Set this to off.

You'll get various warnings to let you know you have no protection. Ignore them for now.

Try printing a test page. Hopefully it'll work.

That's as far as I have got!

There must be a firewall setting that allows the printer to work, but I haven't found it yet (not actually tried)

You could always turn the firewall on when your printing is done.

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

If turning the firewall off works for you do this:

Where you turned the firewall off, press the Advanced button.

On the left hand side, select "Program permissions".

Scroll down the list of programs and make sure that "Printer Communication System", Printer Device Monitor", and Printer Status Window Interface" are all set to FULL ACCESS.

Press OK to save any changes you made (at lease one I suspect).

Set your firewall to ON so that your computer is protected again.

Try and print something.

No Events found!