Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2009 14:00

Vista laptop can't use a Dell AIO 942 printer which is hosted on a Dell XP desktop on my home network

This is an old topic, but I am hoping that we might get a new perspective on any possible fix.   I don't really want to replace the printer as it is still working well and is usable by all my XP machines over the network.  It is just the Vista machine which screws up every time.  I have spent a week trouble-shooting and have followed just about all the best advice I could find on the net (including yours, PudgyOne :emotion-1:).   I have logged a call with Dell hardware support who have been great in the past with my hardware and XP problems. I await ther response.

So, the challenge is:  Does anybody have a cast iron 2009 solution for this problem?

872 Posts

May 11th, 2009 14:00

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 16:00

NShortland,

Since my advice didn't help, then I would suggest that you try going here(Just remember to red the letters in red). They have many people that are very good at getting these things working.

Best I can do.

Rick

8 Posts

May 12th, 2009 17:00

Yes, I have Vista 32.  I have already succesfully installed the 942 locally on my Vista laptop via USB and all functions work (i.e. print, scan & copy).   The  printer's "home" on my network is a USB connection to a Dimension 5000 running XP Pro.   We have two other Dell laptops in the family - both running XP Pro.  They can print flawlessly to the 942 on the Dimension - both on the wired network or via our Dlink Draft-N wi/fi.  

The only machine with a problem is my new Inspiron 1545 which runs Vista 32 Home Premium.   I have spent a couple of weeks now trying all the combinations recommended in these forums.  In particular, the conversation between Dell's Gina Q and Mozzis from June 2007.  It is exactly the same problem, and I have done everything Gina advised in those postings.  Mozzis gave up in the end without getting a solution, and parted with a rather unflattering post concerning Dell's inability to resolve his problem.

Here I am, just about 2 years later, hitting the same brick wall and there still doesn't seem to be a solution.  Have Dell Support recreated this problem in their labs?  Surely they have.  My guess is that a new Vista-aware driver for XP is required, so that when you connect to the network printer it downloads a valid driver to the Vista machine.  Is it a question of cost - developing a driver for old hardware on an old O/S?    If so, it would be a costly mistake for Dell not to write it, as a lot of people have these printers and have inevitably ended up with hybrid XP/Vista networks over the last couple of years.   The forum posts indicate that it is a problem with other Dell printers also.   I have to say, that having been an all-Dell household for many years, If I am now forced by this problem to change my printer - Dell will not be on my list of possibles.

I'm a bit of a optimist though, so I'm still hoping that Dell can give me a solution that works.  I haven't given up on them yet - but my patience is running out.

872 Posts

May 12th, 2009 21:00

8 Posts

May 14th, 2009 13:00

Muto, I'm sorry if I offended you - it was not intentional, I assure you.  I am just extremely frustrated by this problem, and I am annoyed (with Dell) that the issue was  mentioned in the forum at least two years ago - and they have not yet been able to supply a solution.  I have joined the forum for help, and am grateful for any contribution you can provide.

I'm glad you tracked down the previous post - I should have included a link to it in my post.  Anyway, my point was, it is exactly the same issue that I am having, and it dates from June 2007.

My earlier grumpy post (devoid of pleasantries :emotion-10:) needs some explanation.  I had already downloaded and sucessfully installed the Vista-32 software with the printer connected locally via USB.  Print, scan and copy all worked.   I then moved the printer back to the Dimension desktop running XP Pro.   Next, I added a new Local printer and set up a new local port pointing to the Dimension - i.e. \\desktop5000\printer942.   When I then print to this printer it goes into the local queue on my Vista laptop, but never gets as far as the printer queue on the XP machine.  I have also tried printing with both McAfee firewalls turned off - still didn't work.

I have a call booked with Dell Support tomorrow, but I'm not very hopeful of a sucessful outcome.

regards,

Nick.

872 Posts

May 15th, 2009 01:00

872 Posts

July 7th, 2009 16:00

No Events found!